cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgtech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

My BT ID is my real email not btinternet. Cannot change BT WiFi status.

Go to solution

My account is the primary account, because I deal with the internet and things. My BT ID is my own domain's email address. I do not have an @btinternet.com email address. When I try and check the status of my free BT WiFi system I cannot login because the page demands a "BT" email address.

So I found a tutorial that shows how to create one and it does not work. I go to the extras area, find the email thing and click check and it says "There isn't a BT Yahoo! Mail service associated" etc So I cannot even create one. I have tried everything I know, to no avail.

Is there some way I can make this work? I do not understand, if you need the primary ID, which I have, why can I not get into that  WiFi area?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: My BT ID is my real email not btinternet. Cannot change BT WiFi status.

Go to solution

It depends how long have you been a BT customer that determines how you set up an email account. If you have been a BT broadband customer for a number of years you will have been given a BT email address when you first signed up for BT broadband. It will have be in the paperwork that BT sent.

If you have recently become a BT broadband customer you need to go into MyBT and set it up from there

See Link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/c/346/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDMyNTkzNTY5L3NpZ...

BT want your BTID to be the same as your BT email address and password so that you can access BTWifi and BT Sport etc.

The security issues of having the same log on and passwords has been well discussed on the forum and it would appear that BT have no intention of changing it.

See link

http://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/bt-id-explained/

0 Ratings
wgtech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

We had a @btinternet.com address but I switched that out for my easy to remember address that I actually use. I have no intention of using any form of ISP email. Ever. So I switched it and even when I try and login using that old account it complains that there isn't one. They said I have to use the primary BT ID which I did, my login credentials are the primary account, I have verified this several times. It should work yet it doesn't. I cannot even access the email system because of the error I mentioned so I cannot even attempt to create a new BT email account, which really I do not want a BT email account because I only need to go checking 1 account and not have to go making calendar appointments to go checking other email systems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

You do not need to use the email system for your email but you do need to use an @btinternet.com email address if you want to use BTWifi etc.

Have you tried changing your BTID via "My Profile" in "MyBT" to the @btinternet.com email address to see if that works.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44847/~/can-i-change-my-bt-id-username%3F

If you do that you can check the status of BTWifi here.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

0 Ratings
wgtech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

There is no email account for the old address I had, so even if I redirected it, I would not be able to ever get the emails since it no longer exists.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

No email will get sent to that address unless you give the address out. It is to see if it will allow you to connect to BTWifi after you make it your BTID.

0 Ratings
wgtech
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

But you have to verify with your current email it seems, so if I were to do that and want to switch it back, I would not get the confirmation email to switch it back to my actual email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Wgtech,

I'll be able to help you get access to BT Wifi. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
TimR7777
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi

I have the same issue. I recently switched to BT broadband, and would have chosen not to have a new email address, if it was offered (I don't remember)

But it appears that I need one to enable BT-WiFi, and I can't find any way to add BT mail to my services.

If you could help, that would be great

Thanks

tim

0 Ratings