Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

My Email has been Hacked. What should I do?

After many years of trouble-free email use, today I am getting calls from friends saying that they are receiving bogus emails from me. I have changed my password for BT mail & paypal, and delted the emails telling me about the new passwords! I have also send an email to everyone in my contacts asking them to delete odd emails as they are not from me. I checked my sent items - the messages were not sent via my outbox. I am very untechnical and don't know what else I should do. My email address is used for work and it would be almost impossible to change it. Any advice? Thanks. Lou

PS: The bogus emails are very low-quality & wouldn't fool a 10-year old!! Who do they think would buy financial products from a hacker????

Aspiring Expert

Re: My Email has been Hacked. What should I do?

things to do:-

1) run a virus checker

2)run a malware checker

3) use strong passwords

4) if using any version of windows, install MSE ( Microsoft Security Essentials )

see if any of these help

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
Beginner

Thank you.

I ran AVG, which said it had detected no problems.

My passwords are strong.

BUT the other two things are new to me so will research what they are and how to do them.

I do not know if I do have a continuing problem. How would I know?

Many thanks

Lou

Beginner

Thanks - found MSE & ran - it said I had no problems. Can I breathe again?

Lou

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem recently. My email account is sending out spam emails to my contacts - including me!!

I have run Microsoft Security Essentials and it says my computer is clean but the emails are still being sent. This is my mine email address and it would be a nightmare to change everything. Surely there is solution that BT can offer as to how we stop this from happening.

I have all so noticed and increase in SPAM emails being sent to me and not just from people I know. I thought BT has a very good spam filter but I want to stop this full stop!!

I would be greatful to hear the advice of others?

Chris

Aspiring Expert

try asking the people who have received the spam to run these checks as well,as it may not be only from the same computer. if they are clean,try contacting the forum moderators and explain the situation to them.they can be contacted via http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 it may take upto 72hrs as they are fairly busy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
Guru

FabLou wrote:

After many years of trouble-free email use, today I am getting calls from friends saying that they are receiving bogus emails from me. I have changed my password for BT mail & paypal, and delted the emails telling me about the new passwords! I have also send an email to everyone in my contacts asking them to delete odd emails as they are not from me. I checked my sent items - the messages were not sent via my outbox. I am very untechnical and don't know what else I should do. My email address is used for work and it would be almost impossible to change it. Any advice? Thanks. Lou

PS: The bogus emails are very low-quality & wouldn't fool a 10-year old!! Who do they think would buy financial products from a hacker????

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I assume that you are using webmail to access email ? Is this a btinternet.com email address ? You say you use it for work.

Are you aware if every person in your contact list was targetted with the spam at the same time, or did they get this spam when they sent you a reply ?

Have you been receiving emails fine ?

Changing password is the best thing you could have done, but you may like to check one more thing for now.

1. Login to webmail (http://mail.yahoo.com - using your full @btinternet.com email address as the Yahoo! ID)

2. Click on Options/Mail (or More) Options and choose Vacation response.

3. Make sure nothing is ticked to enable a response, and delete any possible offending message.

Guru

Storm0573 wrote:

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same problem recently. My email account is sending out spam emails to my contacts - including me!!

I have run Microsoft Security Essentials and it says my computer is clean but the emails are still being sent. This is my mine email address and it would be a nightmare to change everything. Surely there is solution that BT can offer as to how we stop this from happening.

I have all so noticed and increase in SPAM emails being sent to me and not just from people I know. I thought BT has a very good spam filter but I want to stop this full stop!!

I would be greatful to hear the advice of others?

Chris

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forums.

Spam goes in waves and can increase from time to time until the spam filters catch up. Spammers will always have the upper hand I'm afraid.

Have a look at my other post in this particular discussion thread and see if that applies to you (about the vacation response).

Beginner

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy and thanks for your reply.

My vacation response was unchecked, but thanks for the tip - I will know what to look for next time.

It is a BT webmail address, - ***************. I am partially self-employed, I teach English and write romantic novels, so my email is scattered all over the internet as well as being on cards & stationery. I also work part time at a local college, so I access my email from there as well as at home. I have used internet cafes when I'm on holiday, but not recently.

Every person on my list got two emails, including me! So far as I know, it all looks normal, I am getting my email OK. So far nobody has contacted me to say that they have had any new emails.

Thanks again

Louise

Also had spam problem which started with an email that appeared to be from a friend but wasn't.  I ended up deleting my contacts, then deleting the account, which was a hassle.

I was so angry at all the grief that I decided if it happened again I'd just let the spam keep coming; clear my contacts list and put the spammy addresses in instead, then when the hacker raided my contacts book again (cos once they're in they keep coming back for more) at least I'd have the satisfaction of knowing the spammers were getting spammed.