cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

My recipients are being misdirected when they click on 'reply'

Go to solution

Hi there, I have noticed that my BT e mail recipients are being misdirected to a wrong e mail address and as the address is closed,  my recipients have only just noticed the problem, but I suspect it has been happening for quite a while. I don't get a Yahoo sticker when i land on my e mail page, so the advice i saw on the forum does not work for me. Can anyone help me fix this, as I now use this account for work purposes occasionally?

Many Thanks for any help

Gordon

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: My recipients are being misdirected when they click on 'reply'

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account via a BT Premium email account?

All BTYahoo email accounts were migrated to the "new" BTMail and as such there is no reference to Yahoo when you log onto a BT email account.

What do you mean that your BT email recipients are being directed to a wrong email address as the address is closed?

If the email account that you had is now closed, any emails sent to it will get "bounced". ie not delivered.

Are you sending emails from the "closed" email account and are your recipients receiving them?

What happens if they do not use the "reply to" function and instead enter the email address?

Without posting the email address on this forum, where are the replies being sent. Is it an email address of yours?

How are you sending the emails. Is it via a web browser or are you using an email client/app.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@gordon8wrote:

Hi there, I have noticed that my BT e mail recipients are being misdirected to a wrong e mail address and as the address is closed,  my recipients have only just noticed the problem, but I suspect it has been happening for quite a while. I don't get a Yahoo sticker when i land on my e mail page, so the advice i saw on the forum does not work for me. Can anyone help me fix this, as I now use this account for work purposes occasionally?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Seems a bit weird that only the BT email recipients are being misdirected. When you send emails, do you set a "reply-to" - if so is it correct?

Do you have any filters for certain recipients?

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Distinguished Sage

many thanks for your clarification questions. I am a BT Broadband customer with a non premium account. When recipients of mails from my BT internet account click on 'reply to', their mail is directed to an old e mail account (not a bt internet one). I have not noticed this and no one has really mentioned it, until recently, the old account was closed. Now these recipients get their replies bounced back as an invalid address. So I would like to know how to fix this by ensuring the 'reply to' click sends it to my genuine address. 

I hope that helps, please ask if you need any more?

Many thanks for your help already

Best, Gordon

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@gordon8  Perhaps this collection of misdirected emails relate to those who haven't updated their address books when you were moved on from the yahoo flavoured email to BT proper.

Ask one of them to check.

A reply to sender should pick up the email address which actually sent the email, in which case, the contents of the address book would be irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

How are you sending your emails. Is it using an email client/app such Outlook or as on a mobile device or are you using a web browser.

If it is an email client/app you should check to see that the return address is correct.

If you are using a web browser, you can not change the return address and it would require intervention by BT.

Did you at anytime set up your BT email account to forward emails to the "old" deleted email account?

If your recipients reply to you directly rather than using the "reply to" function do you receive the emails? 

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Many thanks for that. I am not using outlook, it is on a web browser via BT webmail. I did no knowingly set up any return address other than BT internet, but may have given the old address as a back up in case BT had to contact me via another address. If recipients of my BT mails do not click on reply to sender, and instead type my address in or use their address book, I definitely receive those mails. In case i have to obtain BT Intervention, do you know How i can go about this? Many Thanks
Gordon
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Awesome! Many thanks for helping me out!
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @gordon8, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. Sorry that replies to your email are going elsewhere. We'll be happy to help you get this fixed. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the team for help.

cheers

John

0 Ratings