Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

My signature has disappeared

Go to solution

I used to have my signature at the end of my emails.  Before BT did their rubbish replacement of the Yahoo! mail system it also appeared at the end of my replies (i.e. at the end of what I was writing in reply).  After BT's rubbish replacement my signature appeared at the very end of my reply, i.e. AFTER all the replies and replies to replies.  I complained at least twice about this, but nothing happened.  However, I have noticed today that my signature has disappeared altogether. I have tried to do something with the 'Signature' box, but nothing I have tried gives me a signature.  How do I give myself a signature again?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: My signature has disappeared

Go to solution

See Tip No 8 in this link.

BT Mail: Shortcuts, tips and settings in your email | BT

Make sure you select where you want the signature positioned, either above  or below the original email and once set up click "save".

0 Ratings
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
You are one step ahead of me. Please tell me exactly what I do with the box labelled 'Signature' to get a signature, then I can choose where the signature will go. Who would put a signature above the original email? By 'signature' I mean: Regards [skip a line] My first Name. If I want to send an 'official' email I add my surname.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The link I posted shows how to create and add a "signature" to all your emails. This signature is stored on the email system and can be set to automatically be added to all your emails. If you have more than one signature stored, you would click on the "signature" box and that would give you the option to choose which one you wanted to use.

If you have no signatures stored, the Signature box  does nothing.

If you are just wanting to end an email with your signature and not have one stored by the system and added automatically you would just type it in yourself at the end of each email.

0 Ratings
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Dear Distinguished Sage,

I'm sorry, but I'm such a hopeless computer user that I didn't realise that you had given me a link -- yes, even though it was blue and underlined, it didn't begin with the usual jumble of letters and I thought it was just a heading.  I have created a signature, but I am a little bit baffled by the option to put it at the top of my email. Who would begin an email with a signature? I am wondering if this means that, when I reply to a reply to a reply to  an email, my signature will be at the bottom of my most recent reply (i.e. above all the other replies) rather than at the very bottom, below all the other replies. I also would like to know why my signature disappeared altogether.  Perhaps it was because I complained to BT that my signature in a reply appeared at the very bottom, rather than at the end of my most recent reply.  Could this be the case? If so, couldn't BT have contacted me to tell me what they were doing? Thanks again

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I do not know why your signature disappeared but what I do know is that unless you allowed BT to access your email account to make changes BT would not have removed your signature from your email.

As regards where you place the signature, that can be either above the original email or below it.

Assuming when you reply to an email you are using the "reply to" function which includes the original text of the email you are replying to and you type your message above that text:-

If you select "below the original email" this will place your signature at the the end of your email which means if you are replying to an email using the "reply to" function and including the email text that was sent to you, your signature will be at the very end of the email, below the text of the email you are replying to.

In this instance you would want the signature to be "above the the original email". This means that your reply will be above the text of the email that you are replying to but at the foot of your newly composed text. 

I suspect that while it sounds wrong in your mind, what you want is to set the signature to be above the original email.

You should also tick the box "Include signature"  and also when setting it up tick the box to make it your default signature. This will add your signature automatically to all your emails at the end of your email and above the email that you are replying to.

0 Ratings
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

My thanks once again!  I have done what you said and now my signature appears where I want it to , both on new emails I send and on my replies to emails I receive.

However,  I did not allow BT access to my account to make changes.  My signature just disappeared.  I probably didn't notice straight away, as I was used to not seeing it when I was replying to an email (because it was right at the bottom, off the screen).  It was only when I was sending a new email that I noticed my signature was not there. Since I knew nothing about 'Settings' you can believe me when I say I did not go there and cancel my signature. I'll let it rest now, I'm sure I'd never get a satisfactory explanation from BT.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Your signature has probably been missing since your email account was migrated from BTYahoo to the BTMail system.

It is most likely that the signature setting was not carried over during that process because you were being moved from one system to a completely different system.

0 Ratings
Bert4545
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

That would make sense, were it not for the fact that the switch from BTYahoo to BTMail was quite a while ago, and I noticed the disappearance of my signature only a couple of days ago.  I'm fairly observant, I would say.  I would certainly have noticed in the weeks since the changeover.  However, I'll not worry about it any more -- perhaps I should, if BT are not supposed to have unauthorised access to my account. If the police can lose 400,000 records, I'm sure my troubles are insignificant in comparison.

0 Ratings