cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevie060282
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

Need Spam Filter help (Cant send to BTinternet.com)

Hi I work for a company and one of our customers are having trouble sending mail to BTinternet.com and getting a bounce back to say its being treated as spam. Does anyone have any idea how to get the domain white listed with BTinternet.com

Thanks for any info on this and the time to help me resolve this.

Stephen

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Need Spam Filter help (Cant send to BTinternet.com)

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

Not much help to you but the usual advice when people post with similar problems to yours is for them to have a read through the following link and then to contact the BT postmaster.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47055/~/bt-email---best-practices-for-postmasters-and...

You may get a better response on the BT Business forum. 

https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Hi @Stevie060282 

Not sure if you got sorted but here is some info from the link that @gg30340 shared. I have seen a few cases in the past on here and it seems to be a little bit of a struggle to get them sorted. 

"If you're an administrator of a mail server (for an ISP or a hosted email service) and you're compliant with the principles here, but your server is still encountering problems sending to BT customers, please get in touch via postmaster@btinternet.com."

Best of luck

SP

0 Ratings
Stevie060282
Beginner
Message 4 of 27

I had sent a email to postmaster on 26th November 2019 and still waiting on a reply. It just seems crazy that every other company is ok to send emails to but Btinternet are blocking. Strange enough tho BTopenworold.com was blocking but they are ok now as well as BT.com

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

@Stevie060282 

I think it's been mentioned on the Community before that BT can really block whatever emails they want and most would agree that the method they use is pretty aggressive.  There is a few other posts on here about Postmaster taking a few weeks to get back to people so you could be in this for the long hall. 

Have you checked to see if your hosting IP address is on a blacklist/spam list?

SP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 27

@Stevie060282wrote:

I had sent a email to postmaster on 26th November 2019 and still waiting on a reply. It just seems crazy that every other company is ok to send emails to but Btinternet are blocking. Strange enough tho BTopenworold.com was blocking but they are ok now as well as BT.com

If emails to btinternet.com are not getting through, but those to btopenworld.com are - then that implies not being an IP based spam filter - since both domains and email addresses are interchangeable and one and the same. Emails to bt.com are completely different as that's BT's own corporate business and not the ISP.

This needs a proper explanation from the mail team, however I suspect that they will be silent on this matter.

faultyemailSPAMfilte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

The problem has started because BT is migrating customers from BTYahoo to BTmail and they didn't put a switch into BTmail that allows SPAM filtering to be turned off.  Their SPAM filter is ridiculous, I have seen emails from HMRC NORTON/Symantec etc put into SPAM. They need a software revision and you need to make a formal complaint because only then will BT do something about it.  People using POP3 downloads will not see anything that has been taken and put into SPAM. BT have no right to divert emails to individuals without their consent - they are diverting genuine communications away from customers. They should have set it up where customers can flag SPAM hosts and then divert those emails.  This will only be fixed if you COMPLAIN.    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

This problem was there long before BT restarted the email migration!

faultyemailSPAMfilte
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

I'm interested that you think this is an old problem, as I have seen other comments that there were problems with SPAM.  However this is my experience. I had been using BTYahoo for over two decades and never seen a single email being filtered into SPAM. Perhaps there are different revisions.  In December 2019 I saw that SPAM filtering had started and called BT. I was passed over to a 'British' person who was very helpful and explained that he is part of a team helping the migration of customers over to their new BTmail.  He tried to help and himself looked for a switch in 'settings' and was surprised to find that they had failed to do this.  My complaint stands and I have had five more torturous calls from India (because they want to have the problem explained again) and eventually agreed that they need to escalate to the technical department recognising the problem that it is causing with genuine emails.   The complaint is not closed. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

The BT migration started in 2014 and stopped shortly after. It has not been fully restarted since then.

Are you sure your "British" person was not referring to the new UI (User Interface) that BT introduced a while back where if I recall correctly the option to download spam via POP was removed.

I can not be bothered looking through old threads but there have been problems with BT email removing genuine email or marking them as spam for as long as I can remember.

I will look forward to the result of your complaint.

0 Ratings