cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psgk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

New BT Email Service

I have just joined the BT Community in the hope that wiser heads may be able to offer me some advice.

I found my BT mail service updated to the new version last week. It worked for about 15 minutes and now when I log into my account, the "loading messages" icon whirls away for about 15 seconds and then an error message "An unexpected error has occurred" appears.

Could this be because on the previous version I was leaving a copy of the message on the server and there must be many thousands stored on it.

My two email sub-accounts do appear to be receiving emails.

I am currently getting messages using Outlook Express on a 20 year old Win XP desktop but this is not ideal.

Any advice on how I can get the messages on my main account again gratefully received. Is it worth trying to get through to BT Technical Support?

Many thanks

psgk

Chelmsford 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: New BT Email Service

I have assumed you are using webmail (on a web browser).

Make sure you are using a compatible browser particularly if you are still using Windows XP.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-mail-browser-compatibility

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/which-browsers-windows-10-download-microsoft-edge-firefox-g...

Make sure that you have cleared the history and cookies from your browser. If you have BT Web Protect added try turning it off.

Try a different browser.

As regards BT Technical Support, chocolate and teapot springs to mind. 

0 Ratings
psgk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

Yes, I'm using BT's webmail service and up until recently I could log-in and access my emails on any one of three computers.

I'm currently trying to access my BT email service using Safari on my Mac Pro laptop and as far as I'm aware its the latest release. Up until the arrival of the new BT email service, I was also able to access my emails via my main email account  on a desktop running Win7 64bit via Firefox or a Win 10 laptop via MS Edge.

I've just logged into my email account using Chrome on my MacPro with the same result as before, Whirling Loading Messages icon then "An Unexpected Error Has Occurred".

I'm only using the XP desktop and Outlook Express as a work around so that at least I can receive and respond to messages

To post this reply to you, I had to for forward the reply prompt that arrived via Outlook Express on my Win XP desktop to one of my BT email sub-accounts which I was able to log into on the Mac Pro. That allowed me to click on the link to the Community so I could post this reply.

I'll look up how to clear the Cookies and History from Safari and Firefox and give that ago to see if it makes any difference.

Thank again for your guidance, its appreciated

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Just so that you are aware. You do not need to use the email link in order to respond to any posts on this forum

You can log in using this link. https://community.bt.com/

and after you are logged in if you look at the bell icon at the top of the page there will be a number donating the number of threads that you have posted on that have had a reply. If you click on that you will see the threads and you can click on the one you want and get taken directly to the one you clicked on.

What happens when you try to log on using this link.

BT Email 

0 Ratings