Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kchops
Contributor
Message 291 of 708

Re: New BT Mail Layout

Hello

I do not know why I did not think of this before, I did a search of the BT community pages and I found a post I did in 2013 I now remember it was not just the email that separated it was the broadband and myself and many others were on BT Yahoo with a dedicated home page that you could customise to your own requirements and I liked it. When I completed the move back to BT I had a rather basic home page that myself and many others complained about, actually reading the moans and groans of the last couple of days BT do not seemed to have moved very far. I tried to cut and paste it but it comes up up with an htlm error so I have put in the link to the post I refer to. Its the second one down from kchops, so I was definitely on BT then how have I reverted back?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Please-please-provide-the-excellent-BT-Yahoo-functionality-on/td-p...

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 292 of 708

Andy_N
So BT or it's predecessors never had their own "in-house" mail system and used Yahoo until they parted company.
I send an email to a Supernet recipient in December 2009 and it comes back as undelivered. The undelivered message to me comes from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com. That's where I make the Yahoo connection. It's a murky business. I've never had a Yahoo account in it's own right, but possibly through the BT connection, I did sign up briefly for what might have been BTYahoo Premium Mail which was invoiced to Yahoo. Anyhow, this has been an interesting and enlightening conversation kicked off by my computer-phobic ladyfriend suddenly getting her BT emails messed up. I will be well pee'd off if BT does the same to me. What does speak volumes here is the silence from BT. Providing an e-mail service for such a global player like BT must be a real pain when the really exciting stuff is live sports and streaming channels. I suspect that there must be thousands of BT Mail users out there, still none the wiser about what has happened. My bank recently changed it's login page, but to their credit, they warned customers weeks before that a change was coming. It's not often I praise banks.
Distinguished Guru
Message 293 of 708

@piglet22wrote:
Andy_N
So BT or it's predecessors never had their own "in-house" mail system and used Yahoo until they parted company.
I send an email to a Supernet recipient in December 2009 and it comes back as undelivered. The undelivered message to me comes from MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com. That's where I make the Yahoo connection.

BT did have their own mail system until they joined forces in 2003 when Yahoo took over the mail system back then. They have not parted company as already explained, Yahoo still control a substantial number of accounts.

The bounce message is indicative of the service you're on - BTYahoo in that case. Not sure what's returned at present for both BTYahoo and BTMail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 294 of 708

@kchopswrote:

Hello

I do not know why I did not think of this before, I did a search of the BT community pages and I found a post I did in 2013 I now remember it was not just the email that separated it was the broadband and myself and many others were on BT Yahoo with a dedicated home page that you could customise to your own requirements and I liked it. When I completed the move back to BT I had a rather basic home page that myself and many others complained about, actually reading the moans and groans of the last couple of days BT do not seemed to have moved very far. I tried to cut and paste it but it comes up up with an htlm error so I have put in the link to the post I refer to. Its the second one down from kchops, so I was definitely on BT then how have I reverted back?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Please-please-provide-the-excellent-BT-Yahoo-functionality-on/td-p...

Hi again.

How do you mean reverted back?

This thread is all about the issue with BTMail webmail. You've been posting in a few threads, and all the indications are that you are still with BTYahoo. If your webmail login shows YAHOO!, then the account is BTYahoo and always has been (after 2003 anyway).

With regard the Oath message, they are the parent of Yahoo! now - hence you get that message when logging into webmail for the first time. The GDPR should be fine due to the boxes being unchecked, if not then both Oath and BT are breaking the law in the UK. Naturally this is irrelevant with apps/clients, but clearly a crazy situation having to effectively jump through hoops to use webmail for BTYahoo. This is when BT should have restarted the migration to BTMail.

BT don't care about having two systems and causing various issues.

The best thing is not to use btinternet email at all.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 295 of 708

"The best thing is not to use btinternet email at all."
Try telling that to my lady-friend. It was bad enough when her original BTMail account was flooded with spam/c**p. The point is that it was fine until BT decided to tart it up. When they dump it on users with no warning whatsoever then trouble starts. I wonder if they would do the same to the Sports channel subscribers?
0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 296 of 708

Hello

So despite following the instructions from BT saying they were separating from Yahoo because of a security breach and me thinking all these years I was BT not Yahoo they never actually separated, I do not have any emails etc from the time as the pc I had at the time blew the motherboard and I think I have two more since then that's why I looked on the community site.

The Yahoo authorisation pages are not legal in my mind as you cannot opt out of any of the categories the only thing it states is (Scroll down and select 'OK' to proceed, otherwise you will not be able to access our sites and apps.) if you click on manage you still have no choices.

As stated I use Outlook as an email client so I do not have to login I guess things will work until there is a serious error and it stops working and then I will find a new isp.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 297 of 708

@kchops wrote:

As stated I use Outlook as an email client so I do not have to login I guess things will work until there is a serious error and it stops working and then I will find a new isp.

There is no need to change ISP to change email provider, just get a Gmail address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
kchops
Contributor
Message 298 of 708

Hello

Its not the email address that concerns me, its Yahoos approach to the GDPR I do not think it is legal and I rather not be involved I am happy with BT but not Yahoo.

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 299 of 708

if BT just put that soddding purple banner somwhere else on the email page it would be a start.. and why do their sites jump about so much. even this forum's pages  has crazy loading of some text lists and flashing up and down, and still that banner..  and no spell check ?  is BT stuck in the 1990's

0 Ratings
kchops
Contributor
Message 300 of 708

I must admit I have always found the BT home page slow to load. With the email I use Outlook as an email client, so compose emails in Outlook and send with all the functionality you require there are quite a few free ones around Thunderbird which would give you a spell checker ability to change fonts, colours etc.

It seems strange that you are saying that the BT mail site does not have a spell checker as I type this reply above the text box is a spell checker and most of the functionality you are asking for if BT can have it on the community site why can it not be included in the email.

0 Ratings