cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 321 of 698

Re: New BT Mail Layout

As BT Mail is completely cream crackered for anyone who has more than one email address to look at, could someone advise me what parameters to use to gain access to me emails via outlook. It was simple before, you used the yahoo settings - I'm assuming that is no longer the case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 322 of 698

@ypt wrote:

As BT Mail is completely cream crackered for anyone who has more than one email address to look at, could someone advise me what parameters to use to gain access to me emails via outlook. It was simple before, you used the yahoo settings - I'm assuming that is no longer the case?

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 323 of 698

It's fairly straightforward.
I just checked mine in Outlook 2010.
In Outlook, under the File tab, go to add account.
My ****@btinternet.com is set up as POP/SMTP.
It's worked reliably for years
0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 324 of 698

Just had a call from BT somewhere far away who said the change was for safety and security reasons. There is no possibility of the change being reversed, get used to what you've got. The gentleman just wanted to close the complaint and get off the line ASAP. So that's it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
kchops
Contributor
Message 325 of 698

I to had a phone call from BT posing as Yahoo or should it be the other way around, this is the 3rd phone call to date. Allegedly from a manager of the email department with an Indian accent who was going to answer my complaint the fist part was that I want to be on BT mail not BT Yahoo to which I am told there is no BT mail it did not work and was abandoned years ago, when I said all new customers are put on BT and not Yahoo I was told not true. The second part of my complaint was that the update page does not have any opt out elements which is against the current GDPR when I said that he said they will never ask me to authorise it at all and would disable it to allow me to login, when I logged in I was looking at a basic email page although it said BT Yahoo at the top it sounds like the very same page that the BT users have with no spell check and lacking many other features. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 326 of 698

kchops

As has already been pointed out and as you are no doubt aware, you are on the BTYahoo email system. This thread is about the BTMail system and it latest update. This update does not have any effect on the BTYahoo email system. 

You have your own thread regarding your complaint about your BTYahoo email account. By posting on this thread which has nothing to do with BTYahoo or your problem regarding Oath/Yahoo it is just causing confusion for the posters who are posting about the BTMail system. 

piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 327 of 698

The shame is that regardless of whether it's BTMail or BTYahoo, they have managed to handle things better in the past. Digging around in the archives, I found this from 2011in my account

"If you decide not to upgrade now, that’s okay but your current version of BT Yahoo! Mail will stop working soon. You can switch to BT Yahoo! Mail Classic by clicking the link in the BT Yahoo! Mail options page but you’ll miss out on the improvements we’ve made. So why not upgrade now? "

So the information was there as was the choice to switch back. This time it's take it or leave it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 328 of 698

@piglet22 wrote:

The shame is that regardless of whether it's BTMail or BTYahoo, they have managed to handle things better in the past. Digging around in the archives, I found this from 2011in my account

"If you decide not to upgrade now, that’s okay but your current version of BT Yahoo! Mail will stop working soon. You can switch to BT Yahoo! Mail Classic by clicking the link in the BT Yahoo! Mail options page but you’ll miss out on the improvements we’ve made. So why not upgrade now? "

So the information was there as was the choice to switch back. This time it's take it or leave it.

What I find amusing is that when BT made changes to their email, be it BTYahoo or BTMail, in the past there were just as many complaints about the changes but now people, some of whom posted about the previous changes are now promoting the previous incarnation as though it was the best thing ever. 

As I have previously stated, I don't use webmail on a regular basis much preferring to use an email client but having tried it and made the settings changes that I and others have posted about I don't see it as being nearly as bad as some of the posters are making out.

I guess some folk don't like/embrace change.

The choice to switch back had the caveat that you will be moved onto the new system eventually so you will have to take it, ie no choice.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 329 of 698

Personally, I'm not fussed about the change - I'm just trying to help out someone who wasn't too keen on what had been dumped on them. I don't use the browser mail and Outlook looks after my  mail quite nicely. My browser mail is still the same as it ever was. Judging by the majority of the comments here, quite a few haven't embraced the latest offering. That's all.

0 Ratings
Whiskers
Contributor
Message 330 of 698

@piglet22wrote:

Personally, I'm not fussed about the change - I'm just trying to help out someone who wasn't too keen on what had been dumped on them. I don't use the browser mail and Outlook looks after my  mail quite nicely. My browser mail is still the same as it ever was. Judging by the majority of the comments here, quite a few haven't embraced the latest offering. That's all.

My gripe is the purple banner across the top of the page and the contacts list when using the + sign to add a contact to an email you are composing.

Also the handles in Chrome are very dim.

When looking for an historical email after looking at it it goes back to the latest one again, not where you left off, also not listed in pages any more so more difficult to find things.

Not as functionally helpful as the old. Also only deletes 50 emails at a time.

Then the way it was forced upon you, not very consumer friendly to say the least.