Message 472 of 698

Re: New BT email page changes

Yes. but query now settled.
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 473 of 698

When I started mucking about on the internet in the late nineties I never knew webmail existed. I just set up the mail program on the Mac, Outlook I think it was then, and carried on using that oblivious to the existence of webmail. It wasn’t until someone at the help desk told me that that was how to clean out the inbox of any large attachments if they were causing bother. I’ve always used a mail client since then so I thought I would take a wee look at the new layout that all the complaints are about. I never really used the old layout but the new one I’ve found can be customised to come pretty close to look like Mac Mail, the client I use. If I was coming to this layout new I don’t think I would have much problem with it. Maybe it’ll just take a bit of getting used to. I’ll still always use a mail client though, it just works better.

Just a thought!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 474 of 698

Not only was there no webmail, there was no web!! Email has been around a lot longer than the web, unfortunately people nowadays think the internet is the worldwide web.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 475 of 698

@Dode wrote:

I’ll still always use a mail client though, it just works better.

Couldn't agree more. Keeping your contacts and material info on your computer with a properly backed-up email client is also a more secure way of doing things than entrusting it to the cloud.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 476 of 698

Bulletin Boards?
I used to struggle with Pace 2400bps half or full duplex modems and Wyse terminals.
To test the connections, we used a Bulletin Board run by Lancaster University or electronic Yellow pages. With Command Prompt type dialogues, adverts and layouts weren't a problem, getting a working connection was and at 21,000 times slower than today's broadband, could run up quite a phone bill.
0 Ratings
Kipper1946
Aspiring Contributor
Message 477 of 698

I agree it does work but I think the previous mail page was a clearer and more precise layout. The greyed out text is definitely not so good for a user with eye sight problems. The surprising part of all this debacle is why was this not tested with all the thousands of customers i.e. with field trials before releasing with little or no warning.
As a customer I do not believe BT have got this quite right and should have a re-think on this upgrade? Its a bit arrogant thinking its OK to make questionable changes like this when It`s charging quite a high end fee for their broadband service.
Highlighted
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 478 of 698

I'd leave yesterday , if it wasn't for the £400  plus "exit fee" , but when my contract expires , if it isn't fixed , I'll vote with my feet.

" If it ain't broke , don't fix it..."

John

37 years ex-BT employee. 

piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 479 of 698

Leaving BT might only give you more grief.

Here's a link to some suggested e-mail clients for XP

https://www.presscave.com/top-best-email-client-for-windows-xp-7-8/

Nothing to lose. If you don't like clients, then leave. But it's a big, disruptive decision - the devil you know and the devil you don't.

0 Ratings
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 480 of 698

Quick update , phone-call from BT offshore service centre , telling of "great customer upset" , suggesting temporarily using Internet Explorer , that's even worse , it seems they are working on it...

John

0 Ratings