cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldles
Contributor
Message 481 of 684

Re: New BT email page changes

I understand the sticking with what you know ... well with tech stuff... I actually started with DOS 3.1 ... and a home built Intel 286 PC... I worked with people who had , just had to have the latest kit.. hardware and software ...But basically , that's all they did.. kept updating and sorting out the problems as they went..." Oh cant do that call , My machines down "   ...and so it went on.. faster , bigger , smaller, masses of wasted time.. While I made the most of my resources.  I still have an XP , but dumped other Windoze numbers  from my  life..  linux.mint 19.2 fits my needs .. even with my year 2000 hardware (AMD 3000 , 8gig and SSD )... I would not be seen dead with a smart phone, pad , anything apple ,,, ( watch Louis Rossmann )  .. I'm just waiting for the new BT email layout  ... I give it a year...

piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 482 of 684

Oldles
I agree with most of what you say, especially regards Linux. A crappy Dell Studio with Vista (Vesta?) in it died, never to boot again. USB stick with Ubuntu 12.? on it, a little bit of research and laptop running again. The most reliable, undemanding operating system going. No updates, no anti-virus etc. So I built a second desktop with Ubuntu 16.? A few snags to get absolutely right, but nothing that Google couldn't fix. Tried a Macbook once, never again - another one destined for the USB stick. Horrible thing ,can't see what the fuss is about.
The trouble with Microsoft and Windows is that they can't stop tinkering - it's total Plug'n Play and one enhancement creates a hundred new bugs, so another wretched 2-hour, work destroying update.
Where I would disagree is smart phone. I'm a very late adopter of commercial technology and like to see things get ironed out before dabbling. So no Samsung Mk 10 with folding screen etc. Eventually bought a Huawei P20 Lite and then wondered what took me so long. Reliable, stuffed full of gadgets like a Boy Scouts kitbag. Not only does it make phone-calls (free), but has a decent camera, e-mails are lightning fast, torch, compass, maps, calculator, very accurate GPS clock, counts how many walking steps I do etc., etc. What I don't do is walk down the street staring at my hand. Plus, with a little tinkering with WiFi, I can turn the lights on. Probably one of the best £200 quid’s worth spent recently.
Highlighted
oldles
Contributor
Message 483 of 684

Piglet 22. I take your point with the phone..  I have a mobile , just for the odd occasion.. ( flat tyre.. was the last ), It seems to me the population has come to rely on them too much... Thankfully I know how to read a map. know which way is north, what the time is, my Canon takes great pictures, have a pedometer, ( if i could remember where i put it ) ... i have come to realize most of the internet content is lies...or at best half truths.   I asked a 59 year old friend , How he would get to Leicester.. out came the phone , to  google  it ...   !  its 40 miles away..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 484 of 684

Getting a bit off topic guys. If you want to continue with your reminiscing etc I can move these messages to the "Lounge" board for you. 

0 Ratings
ChrispyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 485 of 684

Re: New BT Mail Layout

As somone who is always the first to complain about BT(!) I just wanted to say that I really like the new email format.

The layout and scrolling responsiveness is so much better when filing emails to folders, searching seems better and the screen / fonts  just look and feel much cleaner and crisper.  Functionality seems fine to me.  I work in IT and like to think that I know my way around email systems.   I have no significant issues with the new offering, which clearly needs to be accessed by non-technical users.  Well done BT ..... wow I never thought I would hear myself saying that!

0 Ratings
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 486 of 684

Maybe because  " I work in IT " , and  " I know my way around email systems " , could go part way to explaining why you are in the minority?

Most of the posters on here find the layout and functionality of the  " new improved email " difficult , or maybe you posted just to see who would  "  rise to the bait " ?

John 😉

Hook , line and sinker.....

Henry65
Contributor
Message 487 of 684

What have you done for / said to BT to merit special treatment?
A typical operation by me;
Compose, results in the appearance of the Contacts page totally greyed out. Remedy. Quit mailer and try later.
or
Compose and select Contacts - but the screen reverts to Compose.
or
it is possible to select a contact but despite making the screen as tiny as possible, the purple boxes fail to appear.
or
they do partly show and fortunately can be activated.
or
the purple boxes appear in RH pane regardless of the size of the screen.
Who has been paid to produce this nonsense?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 488 of 684

@Henry65 wrote:
What have you done for / said to BT to merit special treatment?
A typical operation by me;
Compose, results in the appearance of the Contacts page totally greyed out. Remedy. Quit mailer and try later.  When you click compose and the "new" email opens have you tried clicking on the "To+" at the address bar of the email? This should bring up a list of your contacts.
or
Compose and select Contacts - but the screen reverts to Compose.
or
it is possible to select a contact but despite making the screen as tiny as possible, the purple boxes fail to appear. Click on your contacts button, this will open your list of contacts, click on the contact that you want to email and double click on the email address in the right hand pane. This should open a "new" email addressed to the contact ready to be composed.
or
they do partly show and fortunately can be activated.
or
the purple boxes appear in RH pane regardless of the size of the screen.
Who has been paid to produce this nonsense?

0 Ratings
Henry65
Contributor
Message 489 of 684

To enlarge on my point 1.

Compose, then  To = as already stated.

When the list of Contacts does appear, clicking or double clicking does nothing; and I've never seen any righthand pane. When I tried it just now, no RH pane could be conjured up, but this time, the Add  and Cancel boxes appeared, so I would have been able to compose.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 490 of 684

You are confusing/combining the two separate methods.

The first one is if you have already brought up the "new" email by click compose, you can then add your contact by clicking on the "To+" and selecting the relevant contact from the list then clicking the "add" button.

The second method was by going to your contacts first, ie DO NOT click the compose button. Select your contact from the list by clicking on it, this will open the contacts details  in a right hand pane. You then click on the contacts email address that is within that pane and this will bring up a "new" email for you to compose with the contacts email address already included in the address bar.

0 Ratings