Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 531 of 698

Re: New BT Mail Layout

@Henry65 wrote:

But the point is, I never had these problems before; - and another recent run of deleted messages re-appearing in my Inbox and being unable to delete them, but they do auto delete eventually.

There was a problem with the BT email system today and another poster has reported emails duplicating so it could be related to that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 532 of 698

@Henry65 wrote:

Laptop / Windows 10 / Firefox / Mouse / Libre Office [not liked].

Several programs are installed such as Ancestry and other family history ones.

But the point is, I never had these problems before

I have just tried what I posted in message 528 on a 15" Laptop with Windows 10 version 1903 using Firefox browser version Quantum 68.0.1 and it works as expected.

0 Ratings
disgruntled4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 533 of 698

Disgruntled4  “”new versions should be Beta tested by customers who for whatever reason have agreed to take on that role as a Beta tester. BT  have not done that””

gg30340  Could you please explain how you know this was not done or are you just making an assumption.

That does not make you a Beta Tester. It is what any firm would do when they introduce any new product. Review feedback and make changes if required.

This might not be of any use because you have said that you are already a Beta Tester for BT but in case any other forum user is interested in becoming a BT tester you should have a look at this link.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Become-a-BT-product-trialist/td-p/697374

Disgruntled4  Could you and Sean please advise on how it was Beta tested or are you making an assumption that it was Beta tested ?

Nice to be supplied with the BT link to join as a Beta Tester. Is that the link you used to get in the first Batch of the rollout?

Disgruntled4 It would be interesting to know how each 50,000 batch was decided upon. 

gg30340 Why, what difference would it make? Are there only 26 users in your locality? Do you know how many in your locality have been moved over or have you not asked them all?  So how many posting should there be for each batch of people "moved" over or are you just making up numbers? 

Disgruntled4  Perhaps  you and Sean could throw some light on this . How did you get into the first Batch.?    Was  there really 50,000 in the first batch.     It would seem in my locality 1 from 26 has been changed on a small survey which would indicate that it may not be done on telephone code area .   Are there really 50,000 in every batch or is that your assumption. ?.    Is there a batch every month or is that your assumption ?.

gg30340 Would "warning" people have made a difference to the number of complaints ?

Disgruntled4  Yes

Disgruntled4 This could be referred to as a BTEXIT Referendum. 

gg30340 Depending on the result would there then have to be a second or third referendum until you get the result you want?  

Disgruntled4  No I think I would leave BT to take up that stance.    BT obviously have no intention of consulting customers .  It would be pointless for BT to have a referendum if they would not be prepared to abide by the result and BT would be forced into not abiding by the result

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 534 of 698

Yet again your memory is failing you!

The last time you asserted that I was a Beta Tester I explained to you that I am not nor have been a Beta Tester and I have no idea if I was in the first or a subsequent batch.

When I asked you the last time that you said I was in the first batch if you could inform  me how you knew that you never answered.  Are you going to explain this time how you know that or is it again you just making things up!.

As you are aware I am not a Beta Tester for BT or any other company but I know people who are but because of Non Disclosure they are not able to discuss how they test things but I am aware that this was tested. 

How do you know it wasn't or are you not going to answer that one as well.

I was given the number in the batch from a reliable BT source. I have no idea if there is more than one batch per month.

Can you explain how it would have made a difference to the number of complaints if BT gave prior warning of the change or is that yet again just an assumption.

When you were working in IT did you have a "referendum" every time you implemented a  systems change and abide by the result or did you not have a "referendum" and just implement it anyway?

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 535 of 698

Henry

A couple of suggestions based on what you've said.

Treat yourself to a monitor. Something in the order of 22" would make the world of difference. Plugs straight into an HDMI port or a DVI port. I would struggle with a laptop screen and for some jobs, it would be downright impossible. Recommendations? Samsung or LG. LG is preferred simply because it has a VESA mount and Samsung didn't when I bought it. The picture quality on both is exceptional, no more eye strain. Avoid anything very cheap, especially if it has a USB connection.

A proper mouse is a great addition - I hate touch-pads.

With Windows 10, you will have Windows Mail. It's got to be worth a shot. I can't give you detailed information on how to set it up, but I do use it (Outlook is my first choice), so it couldn't have been too difficult to set up.

To find it, go to the bottom left-hand corner of the desktop screen and find the Windows icon. Click on the icon and get a list of installed applications. Scroll down to "M" and see "Mail". Double click on "Mail" and it will open up. You get a blue screen and an envelope in the middle. It might take a minute or two to fire up for the first time. See if you like the layout. The first thing you will notice are no adverts taking up valuable space. It doesn't affect the browser version of BT Mail but simply takes the BT information and lays it out differently.

Libre Office isn't too bad considering it's pretty much a free copy of Microsoft Office. It does have some annoying quirks that I find irritating and illogical. I'm a big user of Excel in particular and it's my number one choice. I'm not to keen on the online version Office 365, but it is right up to date all the time and I don't mind paying the subscription.

Firefox is my browser of choice, Chrome second and Edge a poor third. IE only used in emergencies. Edge is a high consumer of memory and eventually crashes the computer. I have about 900 webpages up on Firefox and memory use is still low. Edge used to devour nearly all of 16-GB of RAM memory.

Highlighted
Henry65
Contributor
Message 536 of 698

Thanks. I'll go see my guru. Regarding a monitor I use my laptop on my lap in an armchair or in bed when I wake up.  No such thing as insomnia as I'm retired and Iive alone, so whatever time I wake at night, out comes the laptop to read the papers and do some work till sleep arrives.  

0 Ratings
disgruntled4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 537 of 698

Disgruntled4  Sorry gg30340 but your memory is failing you!

POINT (1) gg30340 The last time you asserted that I was a Beta Tester I explained to you that I am not nor have been a Beta Tester and I have no idea if I was in the first or a subsequent batch.When I asked you the last time that you said I was in the first batch if you could inform  me how you knew that you never answered.  Are you going to explain this time how you know that or is it again you just making things up!.

Disgruntled4 I did answer. I have already said that within a week of BT announcing the rollout you were in there offering detailed advice to all the confused customers, (Betra Testers)

First post on the Forum Sean BT Community Manager06-12-2018 Message 1 of 536 Hi everyone, We’ve recently made some improvements to the look of BT Mail. We believe these changes will simplify your use of the service. We’ve started introducing the changes but not all BT Mail customers will see them at the same time.

Disgruntled4 “”gg30340 was answering detailed questions (15th,,16th,18th posts on the Forum)  7 days after release to the first batch)  to confused customers.  I believe you were in the First batch.

gg30340 Distinguished Sage 13-12-2018 Message 15 of 536 If you want a full screen you need to double click which will bring up the new window and you then have to maximise it by clicking on the maximise button at the top right. 

In the "view" setting select "none". You then only need to single click on the email title for it to open in a viewing pane not a new window. 

Probably and before you complain, you agreed to having adverts when you signed up to the BT email system. It's in the Terms and Conditions which I am sure you will have read.

gg30340 Distinguished Sage 13-12-2018 Message 16 of 536

Which browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser?

gg30340 Distinguished Sage 13-12-2018 Message 18 of 536

An email client is the best way to access your email. No adverts, rules can be easily set up, folders easily set up and most importantly you can include a back up of your emails in your backup regime and store them safely.

I have checked on Firefox and pictures load with out problem.  Have you checked that you are using the most up to date version of Firefox.

POINT (2) gg30340 Distinguished Sage As you are aware I am not a Beta Tester for BT or any other company but I know people who are but because of Non Disclosure they are not able to discuss how they test things but I am aware that this was tested. How do you know it wasn't or are you not going to answer that one as well.

Disgruntled4  Sounds a bit on the on the vague, mysterious and misleading side to me. Have you signed a non disclosure agreement to avoid revealing why you were in the first batch.   How do you know it was Beta Tested ? You cannot say because of Non Disclosure,  but Sean could tell everyone how it was Beta Tested and then we would not have to indulge in this debate. Pull the other leg !

POINT (3) gg30340 Distinguished Sage I was given the number in the batch from a reliable BT source. I have no idea if there is more than one batch per month.

Disgruntled4  Are there any reliable BT sources ?  I asked 26 people in my Locality whether they had been put on the new system and gg30340 asks whether I have asked all BT customers in my locality.   So has gg30340 asked all 50,000 in the First batch of customers  and checked that his “reliable BT source.” has given him an accurate figure. Pull the other leg ! Sorry you have already pulled it once.

POINT (4) gg30340 Distinguished Sage When you were working in IT did you have a "referendum" every time you implemented a  systems change and abide by the result or did you not have a "referendum" and just implement it anyway?

Disgruntled4 I have already explained to you my experience in IT . Changes however small were documented and provided to customers before changes were made . The changes were fully system tested, documented and customers were then chosen to carry out Beta Testing. Beta testing was considered to be the most important component of the process and was essential in that it always revealed problems that were not identified by system testing. When the changes had been fully Beta Tested all Customers were informed of the date the system would change.  As I have already explained to you I would have been sacked if I dumped a  systems change on a customer with no warning.

(5) gg30340 Distinguished Sage  Can you explain how it would have made a difference to the number of complaints if BT gave prior warning of the change or is that yet again just an assumption

Disgruntled4 You raised that question “”Would "warning" people have made a difference to the number of complaints ?.””   I gave an answer “Yes” based on the evidence from this Forum. . Perhaps you have a different answer and maybe you should explain what your answer would be and why .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 538 of 698

As you have obviously no intention of listening to what I said regarding my not being a Beta Tester and therefore are not subject to any Non Disclosure Agreements or having any knowledge of if I was in the first batch or subsequent batches and that you do not believe anything else I have posted which in effect is calling me a liar I will no longer be answering any of your questions regarding this.

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 539 of 698

I would +100 to Piglet22 suggestions . Monitor, mouse . Firefox ... but try linux.mint 19.2 you can try it first then install ... runs from a cd or USB.. comes with Open Office ..Has a few quirks,. but knocks spots off MS office. come also with Thunderbird email client...  may try that 🙂 ... the thing with IT it should be transparent.. not keep giving you problems. then your able to enjoy your interests, bit like a pencil.. just have too sharpen it occasionally .. 

alrjar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 540 of 698

I can't comment on all the (to me), technical talk here about beta this and that and the merits of various operating systems. I am just an ordinary BT customer of many years standing who has always, in the main used BT webmail. This only changed when I bought a Kindle Fire8 tablet which has a built in email client.....and as I already explained, that will only let me add one BT email address.  I have managed to add it to my phone's gmail app but the screen is too small for me to read comfortably anyway. All I need is to access my second account online but this is proving too difficult because of the small text and, worst of all, the tiny controls which, besides being very small are white on a pale grey background. For someone like me with poor eyesight the whole thing has become difficult to use, something that I only find since I was moved over from the old layout. The new layout is indeed easier to use on my desktop computer with its much larger screen but I want the convenience of checking emails on my tablet, as and when I feel the need. Surely  that and a smart phone is what many, if not most, people want these days? If BT don't intend us to use webmail in that way why on earth are they still providing it?