cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 551 of 781

Re: New BT Mail Layout

E-mail client is fine if the website allows generating the e-mail in a client. If it is a web form with no e-mail address, then composing off-line is still the safest bet. How many times do you do a long form, hit the back button to check something else, and it all disappears? At least HMRC seem to have that sorted with save as you go while doing your Self Assessment. As I use Outlook, it's not a problem, but some folk here don't like clients
0 Ratings
Henry65
Contributor
Message 552 of 781

I've not made myself clear.

I composed a msg to a new addressee, but failed to include a dot before com, so It was rejected as undeliverable.

The simplest way to re-send is to Forward the rejected msg, but as I said, the addressee's name now appears in a box and its lettering can only be deleted, not amended. 

All this business of pasting and copying is not needed.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 553 of 781

OK Henry

I understand your frustration with the whole business and it hard for me at least to try to visualise your latest problem.

Being dismissive of copy and paste as"all this business" doesn't help, so I'm going to bow out of this thread and leave you to get on with it. Even the most banal of of replies takes some time and effort and I have more pressing things to do.

Henry65
Contributor
Message 554 of 781

Sorry, I didn't mean to be dismissive or whatever of your efforts to help out. 

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 555 of 781

@Henry65wrote:

I've not made myself clear.

I composed a msg to a new addressee, but failed to include a dot before com, so It was rejected as undeliverable.

The simplest way to re-send is to Forward the rejected msg, but as I said, the addressee's name now appears in a box and its lettering can only be deleted, not amended. 

All this business of pasting and copying is not needed.

Can you copy the email address from the sent email, then paste it into a forward email and simply add that dot in the correct place for the email address? Of course, you can the delete the offending part of the forward message that contains the wrong address - and maybe alter the Subject title to remove the Fwd: bit

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 556 of 781

My webmail layout has just been changed without warning and without my agreement. I have been struggling with problems with the new layout that I can see were first raised on this forum last December! I have tried raising these issues as a complaint with BT but was fobbed off with complete nonsense and got nowhere. The major problem I have is that most emails will not open: if I double-click on a message, all I see is a new, empty window. Viewing emails in the preview pane seems to be the only way to see the text of the message, but even that does not always work as the text runs off the edge of the pane. This problem also means that it is impossible to keep one email open while viewing another. Apart from this basic, functional problem, there are irritating features such as the menus at the top of the page constantly opening if the cursor goes anywhere near them, and obscuring the email list. I know I could avoid these problems by switching to Gmail or using an email client but why should I have to do this? Why has webmail been messed up in this way? We are paying for a service that is not fit for purpose.

johnclegg
Contributor
Message 557 of 781

Alison

Welcome to the club,it helps if you bang your head against a wall...BT ( which used to be a quality company ) now no longer give a **** , sorry for the language but I had enough months ago and no amount of pleading has produced any results..

Mind you there may be help here , someone  may  try to talk you through  using the " new improved service" , but don't expect any change any-time soon...

Sorry ( on behalf of BT )

John

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 558 of 781

Hi John, I've never used this forum before but it seems, as you say, to be just a way of banging one's head against the wall. There appears to be no evidence that anyone in BT who is actually responsible for this mess either reads the messages or does anything about them. I have "escalated" my official complaint to the next level but I won't hold my breath!

0 Ratings
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 559 of 781

Alison

I did the same and waited in for the promised phone-call,three days later than planned , a nice girl from Mumbai? rang about the issue , I was not prepared and my list of problems was not at hand , but she did her best , still can't open hyper-links? etc. etc .etc.

But I welcome your change from the silent majority to the vocal minority...

Good Luck.

John

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 560 of 781

I've already spoken to a nice young man from Mumbai (?) who told me the changes were made for "security reasons" so that the webmail system is less vulnerable to hacking. I suspect that is a standard nonsense reply that they have been told to give to anyone who complains. I suppose emails that can't be opened might be more "secure" but it does rather defeat the point of the whole thing! And it means I have to rely completely on the preview pane, which I believe (I am no expert) is a security risk in itself. If anything sensible results from my escalated complaint, I will let you know.

Alison

0 Ratings