Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 561 of 684

Re: New BT Mail Layout

Alison

Unlike me,have a comprehensive list at hand of all your "gripes" , and don't accept that your browser is " out of date" , any software upgrade should be "downward compatible"

Best of lucohn

John

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 562 of 684

Thanks for the advice John. Will do.

Alison

piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 563 of 684

Alison

Don't waste your time with BT. You won't get a solution.

Solution number 1 - use an e-mail client. No need to go anywhere near BT web browser e-mail. No need to change to gmail - I use gmail, but through a client (Outlook). Win 10 Mail is also worth a look.

Solution number 2 - unable to open hyperlinks. This was dealt with earlier in the topic. You have to fiddle around with some settings in Windows - not difficult and does work. Try "Googlng" "unable to open hyperlinks in Outlook". Yes, it was for Outlook, but it might work for BT webmail. This solution worked for me https://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

You might be a BT customer, but it counts for nothing. By using a client, you will have the satisfaction that BT can muck about as much as they want and it won't break surface. And you won't have to look at their targeted adverts.

BT can do what the hell they like and don't have to tell you in advance. Learn to use them and give nothing back. You've paid for for the service so owe nothing. All this stuff about security is scripted rubbish - they won't fix it for you.

Highlighted
oldles
Contributor
Message 564 of 684

The 'new' layout is primarily designed for BT 's benefit not the paying customer , the annoying drop down menus, the positions of the tabs all there to increase the chance of a hit to BT ' products ' and presumably an $ to the developers.. complaints will not dent the brick wall surrounding BT ... it is increased year on year... Mumbi  run scripts and tick boxes , gather and send statistics , your complaint could even be turned into a satisfied customer tick , to protect their backsides , We are commercial fodder.. just like your telephone... a number..  You probably don't agree ... where is the disagree box... ah there isn't one..

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 565 of 684

You are probably right about this one. I complained to BT earlier in the year when they totally messed up our house move. In the end, and after endless problems, they fixed it and I got an extremely good deal by way of compensation (about 60% of the usual price, with Anytime calls thrown in, plus a year of Amazon Prime). But this - ie the webmail interface - is a different sort of issue. There seems to be an impenetrable wall between the users and the people who designed the thing. 

No doubt I will have to give up and use an email client. I used to use a client (Windows Mail) but when my previous laptop crashed catastrophically I lost all my Sent emails as they were on the laptop and not on the server. Do you know a way round this ie how to ensure that Sent emails are saved somewhere other than on the computer itself?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 566 of 684

@AlisonS1 wrote:

Do you know a way round this ie how to ensure that Sent emails are saved somewhere other than on the computer itself?

Yes, you can usually set an email client to leave downloaded messages on the server; you certainly can with Thunderbird, which I've used for years without issues. It's not necesary though if your computer is properly backed up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 567 of 684

This sounds possibly promising but I'm not sure. I know the downloaded emails (ie the Inbox) can be left on the server but that does not apply to the Sent emails. Do you know if they can be uploaded to the server? Also, re back-up, I thought I had everything backed up but it turned out that the back-up did not include emails. The Inbox was saved because it was on the BT webmail server, but all the Sent messages were lost.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 568 of 684

Alison

Saving items. Has to be backup. I had a hard disk crash (surface damaged) in 2015, but my Outlook archives go back to 2010 because they were being saved on a network attached storage device (NAS) set up with 2 HDDs in a RAID format.

That included the BT mail and others like Gmail and Hotmail, plus all the other daily work.

I had a quick look at BT webmail and noticed that if you select a mail item, inbox, sent, or whatever, and look at the reply, compose etc. header, at the right-hand end, there is a "more" option. In that menu, there is an item "save as EML file". That might be worth a look. In Firefox, it shows up in the downloads list (the pointing down arrow right at top right). It opens the item in Outlook, the default, but there are other options. "eml" is descibed as a plain text file. It did open in a text editor Notepad++. At least you have the option of saving them where you want. It would be straightforward to save them to a flash drive, but will make more work for you.
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 569 of 684

Wow. That's brilliant. I will look at the options and decide which would work best for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this.

Alison

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 570 of 684

Brilliant - thanks, but only exploring a bit.
Many websites and countless applications have hidden features that take some digging out. Don't take them at just face value. Right clicking opens up sub-menus. One of my favorites is "copy as path", uses Shift and right mouse. As well as "copy", you get "copy as path". So for important items, a list, in a spreadsheet, of paths, takes me straight to the location and containing folder. The beauty is that you can parse the information for other uses, like databases.
"eml" isn't going to be easy, as when opened in a text editor (Notepad++ is used by coders and works much better than the bog standard Notepad offering - the ++ signifies it's main use in C++ programming). You'll need to look it up a bit more, but it's a start. Others may have better solutions
0 Ratings