Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 601 of 684

Re: New BT Mail Layout

Hi again piglet22

Thanks so much for taking the time to try to help me with this. It's much appreciated but it's also frustrating, as you are not seeing what I'm seeing, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I can't find "show image" anywhere - to the right of the preview pane or anywhere else. Another issue is that my problem is intermittent: sometimes emails will open in a new window (as you describe for Firefox; I'm using Chrome) and sometimes they won't. As sod's law would have it, they didn't open earlier this evening but now they are suddenly opening again. Next time it doesn't work, I will take a screenshot and send it. But it probably isn't worth your spending yet more time trying to get to the bottom of this because as long as I don't use the preview pane, I can avoid the problem.

Thanks for the advice about changing to IMAP in Outlook.

Alison

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 602 of 684

Yes I did know I would lose them if I changed providers, which is one reason why I am still with BT despite all sorts of other problems. I didn't realise there are other ways they could be lost from the server. That's a worry. As I think I said in an earlier post (I am rapidly losing track), I switched to using webmail because I didn't always take my old heavy laptop with me when I travelled, and found it a problem not having my Sent emails if I used a different computer. It seems it is possible to have the best of both worlds by using a client but having it configured to IMAP rather than POP3 but I have not yet got round to trying to do this. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 603 of 684

@piglet22 wrote:

Changing from POP etc. is easy in Outlook. The accounts can easily be edited, deleted and opened again as IMAP. Not so easy in the browser.

You can't change from POP3 to IMAP by editing the account, it has to be deleted and recreated.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 604 of 684

@Andy_N wrote:

Please be aware that people have lost all their emails by having them "only" on the server. There are various reasons for this, and one being that if you move to a different internet provider, and don't want to pay for BT Premium Email - you will lose all the emails.

A backup routine of an email client is completely recommended.

With MSOutlook a .PST file is also created so emails will be on both mail server and local PC and would be backed up as part of a normal backup.

0 Ratings
AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 605 of 684

Oh dear, some disagreement about this, it seems. I haven't a clue. Starting to wish I'd never posted to the forum. Lots of goodwill but hugely time-consuming and I'm still where I started (though I have learned some useful incidental things along the way, for which many thanks to all who have contributed).

AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 606 of 684

Good to know. Thanks.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 607 of 684

licquorice

I thought that's what I said.

Without spending too much more time on this, a quick look at accounts in Outlook shows plenty of scope for editing with delete, add, set as default for accounts.

The point is that user Alison is reporting not being able to open mail, not being able to scroll and other stuff. I can't see what the problem is, but these problems need to be sorted first. I can't remember if you like clients or not, but my vote is for using a client and for occasional use, the browser version is fine and that applies to all the other users who continue to battle with what should be a straightforward access to a BT service. After all, they seem to have got it right once before all this hooha. What is needed for the reported problems is a step by step forensic examination from login, but that's not going to happen without pages of screenshots etc.

I only got involved with this when a friend of mine had the change dumped on them. As a complete computer hater, with some assistance, they got used to it. Clearly this is not the case for everyone and genuine, unresolved problems exist. I don't think that complaining to BT is going to get anything done and I don't think that raising it with BT Customer/Technical support will get results. Part of the problem is the fear of exploring and messing things up, but as long as you cancel if you aren't sure and avoid saving changes, it should be safe enough.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 608 of 684

@piglet22 wrote:

licquorice

I thought that's what I said.

No, you keep talking about 'editing' Outlook accounts, which in the context of @AlisonS1  wishing to change from POP3 to IMAP is just muddying the waters.

AlisonS1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 609 of 684

Good morning piglet22, My brain is slightly less fogged this morning. Your summary of the overall issue is excellent. I don't suppose you'd consider a job with BT (just kidding - I suspect that way madness lies).

OK:

1. I see now that there is not a discrepancy between you and liquorice on the Outlook IMAP/POP3 question. One day, when I am feeling strong and have a bazillion hours to spare, I will have a go at setting up an Outlook account.

2. This morning, once again, emails will not open if I try to open them by double-clicking on the header in the Inbox list. I have managed to create a photo of the screenshot (thanks for explaining how to do this). I couldn't work out how to edit it other than by cropping, but I think this shows the problem without - I hope - significantly compromising my security/privacy. It really isn't worth your time trying to get to the bottom of this as I can now work with webmail by just not using the preview pane (and trying not to get too irritated by the drop-down menus constantly dropping down and obscuring the emails). I just wanted to show you what I have been seeing, ie blank message screen, and absence of any "show image" option (I promise you it is not there in the part of the screen that I have had to crop - all that is there on the right of the screen, apart from my email address, is a BT ad).BT Mail screenshot (2).png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
oldles
Contributor
Message 610 of 684

Strangely I had an ' orphan ' window like the one AlisonS1 last night.. it hung around and messed with my other tabs this mornring ( Firefox )  probably cause i don't use  a client... Three cheers for BT.... ?