Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 731 of 781

Re: New BT Mail

BillC2

You'll see from the over 700 messages on this subject, that you are not alone in not liking BT's e-mail offering.

BT's role is as Internet Service Provider and as such, they provide a free e-mail service to their customers.

The mail service does what it is supposed to, gives you an e-mail address, allows you to send and receive e-mails and as far as that goes, it's a no frills offering, and put rather more basically, it's a take it or leave it service.

It is a lot better than when it was first rolled out and some issues have been dealt with.

BT seem to like their colours, and basically, they can do what they like with it. If you want something you can fully customise, you are going to have to go elsewhere.

That doesn't mean changing from BT and I don't think that would do any good, but you can choose to use another product that simply takes the BT (and other) mails, and presents them in a manner that might suit you better.

From reading some of the messages here, there are those who use BT Mail, hate it and often say so.

There are others who accept it for what it is now. You could get an e-mail address from say, Google Mail (gmail.com) which isn't bad.

There are quite a few who don't use the web version of BT Mail, but choose a mail handling bit of software which can be free or paid for. Examples of free are Windows Mail and Mozilla (Firefox) Thunderbird. For paid up, most people use Outlook, either on its own or part of the Microsoft Office suite.

I've used Outlook since it was first published way back and it suits me fine. Occasionally, I use the BT web version and that is also fine. As a big e-mail user I work with Outlook for archiving, searching, a half decent calendar with events. With tens of thousands of e-mails, I like to have them on my system with daily backups. With a lot of web based stuff being hacked, for example easyJet recently and Yahoo some time ago, I like to have a little bit more control.

If you are having problems with navigating, I'm sure others will help you. It might be worth having a look at the BT Help menu or simply searching on Google or whatever for specific problems

BillC2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 732 of 781

Thanks, that's very helpful and explicit

0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 733 of 781

This is the worse Email setup I have seen.

You used to hover over an Incoming email address and it showed the sources real Email address this weeded out the spammy dodgy ones easily, now you have to see to go throgh hoops to find that same information.

No more up and down toggle for flitting through ajacent emails.

And when you want to move an email to another folder you get three pop up boxes that dont work half the time or youll get the windows copy and paste option pop box of windows obscuring their view..absurd.

And no spell checker.

Truly a dismal offering from one of the UKs main internet providers...it's almost as if BT wants to drive it's customers away to another ISP.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 734 of 781

@Bloodnock wrote:

This is the worse Email setup I have seen.

You used to hover over an Incoming email address and it showed the sources real Email address this weeded out the spammy dosgey ones easily, now you have to see to go throgh hoops to find that same information.  tick the box to the left of the email and go to "More" at the menu bar and click view source and you will get much more useful information than hovering your mouse.

No kore up and down toggle for flitting through emails. When your email is open about half way down the email at the edges you will find an arrow appears that lets you go to next or previous emails.

And when you want to move an email to another folder you get three pop up boxes that dont work half the time ot youll get the copy and paste option pop box of windows obscuring their view..absurd. Drag and drop is the quickest and easiest way to move emails to another folder.

And no spell checker. The spell checker is built into your web browser. If it is not working you will need to ensure your browser has one and that it is turned on.

Truly a dismal offering from one of the UKs main internet providers...it's almost as if BT wants to drive it's customers away to another ISP.

0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 735 of 781

Aye.....20 times as much effort to get the same result that Bt Yahoo mail used provide.

BT's motto should be "Forwards through reverse"

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 736 of 781

I haven't seen any change whatsoever in the user interface> Oh, I know why, I don't use an ISP provided webmail interface I use a mail client.

johnclegg
Contributor
Message 737 of 781

"    tick the box to the left of the email and go to "More" at the menu bar and click view source and you will get much more useful information than hovering your mouse.   "

When I do that I get reams and reams of gibberish , all I want is the real sender!!!

John 

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 738 of 781

"Immer gerade aus!!"

0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 739 of 781

Precisely, we don't need a string of gibberish that unless your a computer programmer means  nowt, we just require the ability to see by hovering the mouse over the incoming Email address the basic genuine senders maked address....Just like BT Yahoo mail did and almost every other Email client still does as well.

0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 740 of 781

"Immer gerade aus!!"

What does that translate to English as?

0 Ratings