cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henry65
Contributor
Message 521 of 708

Re: New BT Mail Layout

If you had need to use more than 100% screen view you would know that other sites automatically adjust to cope. Typical BT, a one-off awkward squad loner.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 522 of 708

The BT one does cope and automatically adjusts, you need to scroll across using the scroll bar at the foot of the page in the same manner as you do on other sites.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 523 of 708

@gg30340wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

Again, the coders need to come to these forums and use "real world examples", not simply be stuck in a back room with huge screens and powerful computers. You would hope that they have a few small laptops, tablets etc with various browsers to try the system on before releasing it.

If you haven't used the new BT Mail UI how do you know that it doesn't work on the devices you have mentioned?

I may have implied that, but didn't go that far of course, as clearly it does work for some - maybe even a lot of users as expected. I would anticipate that many will prefer it to the previous incarnations

I have used it on a smart phone, tablet, small laptop/netbook, normal laptop and a PC with 21" screen and I have found it works on all of them.

If I remember correctly one of the posters who was having problems was because he had the screen view set at over 125% and this caused the menu bar to "hide" some of its icons which is what I would expect to happen if you increase the view percentage, ie enlarge the page beyond what the screen can display.

That's a weird one, since the 125% setting (in Windows) is typically a text, app or other item setting - used, I expect, mainly when the default screen resolution may have text etc too small to be comfortably viewed for the viewer. That shouldn't affect the UI - but should introduce scroll bars if stuff is "off the screen". If that's not happening, then the coding is not correct.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 524 of 708

@Andy_N wrote:

That's a weird one, since the 125% setting (in Windows) is typically a text, app or other item setting - used, I expect, mainly when the default screen resolution may have text etc too small to be comfortably viewed for the viewer. That shouldn't affect the UI - but should introduce scroll bars if stuff is "off the screen". If that's not happening, then the coding is not correct.  It does introduce scroll bars. I suspect that because the bar is fairly faint in colour that it was not seen by the user.

0 Ratings
daimon
Message 525 of 708

I'm guessing that's why my mail no longer works on my Mac on OSX

Henry65
Contributor
Message 526 of 708

My BT one does not cope, does not automatically adjust .

On another matter, I've just tried Compose / Contacts and clicked on a name. No reaction, but when I reduced screen size to 90% on RH side2 purple boxes, Add /Cancel.

I clicked Add - and was shown a blank msg with no addressee.   So, back to sq. 1.

Nowhere are there any side bars, except on a background all greyed out.

You don't get these problems, but unless you do I can't see how you can address them.

Entirely unconnected, earlier today I had need to Google Fred Karno. Surprisingly, the result had something to say about BT.

"Fred Karno's Army", a phrase still occasionally used in the UK to refer to a chaotic group or organisation.

I rest.

johnclegg
Contributor
Message 527 of 708

Update,no phone call from BT as promised 15:00-17:00 , waited in especially , but I suppose as they're still fiddling with it , what would be the point..

John

P.S. the service was down before ( Error code 10023 ) ,  etc , etc.

Still no hyperlinks

BT.  a  FTSE100  quality company....

P.P.S.  I can now see a scrollbar  🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 528 of 708

@Henry65 wrote:

My BT one does not cope, does not automatically adjust .

On another matter, I've just tried Compose / Contacts and clicked on a name. No reaction, but when I reduced screen size to 90% on RH side2 purple boxes, Add /Cancel.

I clicked Add - and was shown a blank msg with no addressee.   So, back to sq. 1.

Nowhere are there any side bars, except on a background all greyed out.

You don't get these problems, but unless you do I can't see how you can address them.

This may appear patronising but that is not the intention. It is to try and walk you through the process.

I have tried it at 125% and 150% zoom and it works on both as well as lower zoom settings. 

When you click on "compose" do you get a "new" blank email page opening in a separate box?

You can make the "new" email page free floating if you go to the top right hand corner and click on the button that looks like a box within a box. This will allow you to drag or resize the email box or make it full scree if you click on the square icon at the top right. If you are using a large zoom setting you may be best to make the email box full screen.

Once you have done that you should be able to compose your email.

If at any time the page of the email goes missing or you minimise it, check in your Taskbar at the foot of your screen and you should see your web browser icon. The "floating" email page should be there and can be brought up by clicking on it.

You can now enter your contacts email address by clicking on the "To+" at the recipients address bar.

If that works it it should open a separate box containing a list of your contacts and at the foot of that box once you have highlighted a contact there should be "add" and "cancel" buttons.  

If you get the above, once the contact is highlighted click on the "add" button. This should add your chosen contact into the recipients address bar.

You then click on the "subject" and enter what ever you want and then click in the body of the email and complete your email. 

Once completed click "send".

If at any time the page of the email goes missing, check in your Taskbar at the foot of your screen and you should see your web browser icon. The "floating" email page should be there in the same way as other web pages would be grouped together.

EDIT: FAO johnclegg.  Just so that you are aware of the reason I am posting  this advice/help is because I was helping with this issue before I decided not to help any further posts on this thread.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 529 of 708

Henry

If you can bear it, it would be useful to give an idea of the system you are working with. No need for detail, but maybe just the following

Laptop or desktop? Or something else?

Operating system Microsoft Windows plus version if possible e.g. XP, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10. Or Mac OS? Or Linux?

If a laptop, do you have any added accessories like a mouse or a monitor (screen)?

Your favorite browser - Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or something else?

Do you have any software on your device like Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) other than what it came with?

I'm sure that just a few "tweaks" would make life a lot easier.

0 Ratings
Henry65
Contributor
Message 530 of 708

Thanks for your offer of help.

Laptop / Windows 10 / Firefox / Mouse / Libre Office [not liked].

Several programs are installed such as Ancestry and other family history ones.

But the point is, I never had these problems before; - and another recent run of deleted messages re-appearing in my Inbox and being unable to delete them, but they do auto delete eventually.

0 Ratings