cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 701 of 715

Re: BT Email changes

It is getting better , slowy but surely , maybe the software bods are reading the forum and then having a quick meddle....if so , could you do something about the two sliders on the right hand side...why have two , doing the same job....most annoying.

Living in hope.

John

oldles
Contributor
Message 702 of 715

Software bods   🙂   one wonders how the 'developers' view us the users , is it a ..try this and watch for feedback ... or do they have some robot programmed to email random stuff to another robot.  If i was in charge I would monitor this forum closely ... putting your trust in " experts" is a flawed policy ...  "Code for what could happen ... not should happen "  

piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 703 of 715

@oldles 

The trouble is that you aren't in charge. What you hope is that the developers actually read the forum posts, but that is down to the moderators, who may or may not communicate with BT directly. Most of the forums I take part in are groups of people with a common interest in something, like electronics. At an amateur level, they work well and often provide useful solutions to problems, but few have direct connections to the product. I don't expect that this community/forum is any different.

Certainly, there have been many useful solutions offered, but the designers of the e-mail system might be thousands of miles away, and possibly nothing to do with BT. You'll see at the bottom of the page "Powered by Lithium", so the forum or the BT webpage is designed by someone else, a company called Khorus.

So strictly speaking, this is a discussion group rather than a feedback system. Microsoft run an "Insider program" for Windows 10 which allows users to test pre-release versions of Windows. Even HMRC have feedback and do state that their online stuff is "beta" and in development. Their customer service, though, is appalling.

This year long discussion of mainly BT inflicted problems is what someone else's PR attempt recently was described as a car-crash. You take a well received - won't say liked - product and give it a facelift. Microsoft do listen to probably millions of bug reports and do act on them, but there, big money is at stake. BT's main interest is in surviving in an increasingly competitive communications sector and an add-on product like the web browser version of e-mail is going to be a long way down the "to do" list.

It wouldn't have cost them much time or effort to let a few users try the new version out first before doing a "take it or leave it" dump.

I'm willing to bet that far more effort went into changing the logo or icon from a coloured blob to BT in a circle than goes into the e-mail web page.

As for experts,  they do exist. I hope any surgeon I get meet is an expert and I have to trust them.

I write code, but I'm no expert. What I do, though, is closely monitor for errors and quickly put right. As for "code for what could go wrong", that's Murphy's Law. Whether it gets done is down to what's at stake.

0 Ratings
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 704 of 715

No expert , but I think you may be wrong...

but few have direct connections to the product. I don't expect that this community/forum is any different. "

All one has to do is look at the URL ?     https://community.bt.com     under the banner of BT.com .

It wouldn't have cost them much time or effort to let a few users try the new version out first before doing a "take it or leave it" dump. "

It would have been a lot cheaper forthem to leave it alone in the first place...

John   😉

0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 705 of 715

I think it is a sign of the times,  programs that sort of work. I suspect that pressure is to get it out and meet dates , and get paid. fix it later.  learn lessons ?  , I was part of a team , given a unix program to test before it was released to engineers...   I typed in the 30th of February as the date...  got reprimanded for crashing it , bear in mind it was a long time ago .

I still code , so i know how  bugs are born , survive, and occasionally killed.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 706 of 715

@johnclegg 

Yes John, I get that.

It may be under the wing of BT, but that might be as far as it goes.

The clue is in the name. If it said "actively monitored group of beta testers" instead of community, it might mean more.

Community here means group of users who arrived here because largely they didn't like the changes and a few didn't get anywhere by going to BT directly. If it was answered by BT e-mail product developers, it might be different.

User communities are often set up by companies as a PR exercise. I have a crappy Samsung TV and Samsung run a user forum. Does it get the TV fixed, does it hell. I can't think of many forums/ communities on the scale of BT where the company involves itself, but I expect someone will prove me wrong.

johnclegg
Contributor
Message 707 of 715

Just as an aside , I nearly got the sack for sending an email from my company BT.com account as opposed to my private BTinternet.com account...

The recipient didn't have a sense of humour....

John  😉

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 708 of 715

30th February? Says a lot for elementary error trapping.
I hear that Posix time is heading for a crash, a bit like the Millennium bug, but given the importance, GPS etc., I hope someone has that in their sights.
0 Ratings
oldles
Contributor
Message 709 of 715

So what bugs me now you might ask ? . open BT web mail , sign in window appears.. I click on my email auto fill and password gets filled with it , go to click Sign In... but page has now jumped with the addition of the dreaded 'purple Banner ' and detail boxes are empty ... Mmm well done someone.  ( start sign in again )

Had a special offer today from BT .. not sure what  ? :)...

btsell.jpg

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 710 of 715

Just tried it with Norton password thingy (autofill) and it works fine.

It even looks quite nice now it's been cleaned up a bit.

The special offer thing doesn't look quite right though, probably done on Boxing Day.

On a more serious note, I sometimes see the HTML stuff when the browser is running out of resources. Edge is a resources hog and Firefox doesn't get too ruffled with 500 tabs up unless it has been running for a week or so. A quick check in Task Manager shows you what is going on. Close down and restart the browser usually fixes things.

0 Ratings