Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 311 of 781

Re: New BT Mail Layout

@dg15wrote:

When will I get a reply to my earlier message re BT mail layout, and how will I open it?   So far, no help received.

I replied to your earlier message, it is 4 posts up.

I am afraid you are banging your head against a brick wall.

BT is totally unapologetic about the whole email  fiasco.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 312 of 781

Thank you for your reply, and I have concluded my head aches with banging it against the wall. Thanks anyway
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 313 of 781

This is the reply I got after raising a complaint

Thanks for you email. Apologies for the inconvenience ,we understand how difficult the situation would be for you when you are not able to  access your email in the format you were used to however as day by day everything is upgrading for better performance so the email format is also changed. We've tried to keep the look and feel similar, but some features are now only accessible via the email settings. The good news for our customers is that we've reduced the number of advertisements and the layout should be reasonably self-explanatory and intuitive. You can try an alternative for the time being where you can access your email account  from browser like Internet Explorer (www.bt.com/email) where you will get a similar kind of old format.Customer feedback is always important to us. We do listen and, when appropriate, we'll make changes to improve our customers' experience when using the BT Email service. As you are not happy with the layout so don't worry we will definetly raise a feedback for the same with our engineering team however won't be able to help you with any preferred date or time as in when it will be resolved.You needs to select an option from the Change View(which you will get at the top right hand side corner after you login to email) to NONE and again click on Change View and click on Conversation View.
v  You should see the options at the top , just above your emails . Please tell me if you see them ?

v  Great now ,please click on view , let me know when done .

v  Now , you should see Right , below , none right ?

v  You need to click on None  . That will fix your issue , Let me know if that does .

I haven't been able to try it as mine is still in the original form. All I did was refer them to this thread. It came from BT Residential Services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 314 of 781

I have just clicked on the hyperlink in your email and all I get is a blank page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 315 of 781

@kchops wrote:

I have just clicked on the hyperlink in your email and all I get is a blank page.

That is because the link is in brackets.

If you click on the email button in the banner at the top of this page it will take you to the log on page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 316 of 781

................for if BT can have it on the community site why can it not be included in the email...........................

Too busy designing all the fancy  bells and whistles, functions and process's that not many punters want, need or will ever use and a system that's not entirely logical nor easy to navigate, especially for those who are not computer savy.

It matters not if you are providing an email process, a workshop manual, a website etc, the old adage of keeping things simple has gone out of the window.

Keep it simple, more folk will enjoy using it, fewer problems and complaints, easier to fault find and correct, and more importantly, easier for customer service personnel to understand and provide a first time solution, which as we see in these posts and many others, BT customer first line service personnel and amazingly it appears, upper tier ' experts ' haven't the faintest idea how to provide  solutions either.

Yes I can ( and do ) use such as Thunderbird.

Yes I can ( and do ) use Googlemail.

I wouldn't be overly bothered about the odd problems with these, or if it took a while to find a solution, they are, when all said and done, free, cost me nothing.

However when I'm paying for a service, BT mail, I expect things to be different, solutions to problems promptly attended to by knowledgeable staff.

Please don't anyone say, as has happened before, that BT Mail is free, it isn't, it's part of a broadband  package I pay for , if I don't pay for the broadband package I won't get the ' free BT Email ' will I ?

I'm all for progress and a better, or different way of doing things, but not change for change sake.

By all means let BT provide a comprehensive and complex email service with functions that some may need ............ but..........do it by providing an initial basic simple email service, with addons you can chose as required or needed.

For example, granny may only require a simple letter writing process with perhaps the possibility of adding a couple of photo's.

Grandson may require all the other processes now available in BT Mail, if so he would be able to opt into those he required.

I would confidently expect that both would see a spell checker be provided as a basic function, obviously BT see this rather important tool, too most folk, me included, as an unnecessary distraction.

Yet they are quite happy to dump unnecessary banners, adds, complicated menus  and other distracting 'carp' on one and all.

Rant over.Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 317 of 781

An excellent succinct rant. Well said Nantybig!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 318 of 781

ll ranted nantybig  (another  bug ?  first two characters failed , happend before )

Well ranted Nantybig.. ( no spellcheck happening here ? )  BT's customers should not be used as program testers  ,

change != improvement.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 319 of 781

“for if BT can have it on the community site why can it not be included in the email.”

Different planets

BT customer first line service personnel and amazingly it appears, upper tier ' experts ' haven't the faintest idea how to provide  solutions either.”

Don’t mess it up in the first place, especially if you don’t need to, presumably, mind you, they consider it upgrading.

“However when I'm paying for a service, BT mail, I expect things to be different, solutions to problems promptly attended to by knowledgeable staff.”

You what? Try HMRC or Royal Mail helplines if you want a really bad experience.

“I'm all for progress and a better, or different way of doing things, but not change for change sake.”

They all do it, jobs depend on it. Someone in BT, presumably, must have had a conversation or a bright idea “Let’s give the old e-mail thing a make-over”. Look at all the reincarnations of humdrum companies, just plodding away – Post Office to Consignia, Tarmac to Carillion, GPO to British Telecom. All the whacky, non-words, company names – Experian, Ocado, Trivago, Google, Yahoo to name a few. Sometimes designed to be cutting-edge, youthful – sometimes used to bury the past. My old company, a privatised utility too, had regular changes of branding and logos. They caused internal chaos. Every vehicle had to have the old logos scraped off, uniforms scrapped and new ones bought, stationery binned and changed, but underneath, it was the same plodding company. Consumer products depend on regular changes – just look at iPhone and Galaxy. Even the current BT logo has been subtly changed – used to be the 3D globe, now it’s the 2D globe. Sometimes a company makes a mistake and includes a “classic” version, i.e. the one users liked before it was messed up, not quite a classic car or a classic Burgundy.

“I would confidently expect that both would see a spell checker be provided as a basic function”

Yes, not difficult. Judging by the last response I got from BT, they don’t even give their staff one either. What I try and do when filling in online forms etc. is to do it offline in some text editor then paste it in when satisfied. This has the added bonus of having a copy when all the stuff you typed in disappears when you submit it, or hit the back arrow. Not being picky, but running your text through Word didn’t score 10/10 and I don’t suppose this would either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 320 of 781

I totally agree with you.  I am so cross.

0 Ratings