cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henry65
Contributor
Message 491 of 698

Re: New BT Mail Layout

Thaanks. I don't think I'm confusing anything as I knew of only one method of composing an email.

If you go back over my explanations I hope they will show that what you describe doesn't always happen for me.

As regards your second method, I've now seen the screen showing a RH pane, but what happened when I clicked on a name and arrived at the panel to compose. The next screen showed the top half greyed out and on the bottom, the mask for new message - but only the top half shows and it is impossible to access any space below.

This is all making me morn and more cross so I'll not be watching these messages any longer, just try and make the most of a terrible job. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 492 of 698

@Henry65 wrote:

This is all making me morn and more cross so I'll not be watching these messages any longer, just try and make the most of a terrible job. 

Your choice but I suspect that it is something as simple as a setting that is causing your problems.

What browser are you using and what "zoom" setting do you have it set on?

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 493 of 698

Maybe Henry has had enough of this. Something has happened, possibly the change that BT has inflicted on webmail users and BT should be helping him out.

The community  obviously does it's best, but the perpetrators do nothing. I've seen the catchy little video that is BT's attempt to sing the praises of this offering and I've seen at first hand the effect the unannounced change has had on people on their own who rely on the occasional e-mail and cannot justify a full-blown mail handler, or do not want the extra work of setting one up.

As far as I'm concerned, BT, British Telecom, Post Office/GPO has lost touch with it's grass roots subscribers in the rush to mix it with Amazon, Netflix, sports etc. I'm surprised they still bother with a landline phone service. Their customer service is rubbish and is all to do with closing cases and nothing to do with problem solving. I suspect that that the number of scam phone calls I get making out to be BT is down to the poor level of service. I get two main types of scam calls, BT and Microsoft. I would be interested to hear how BT Customer Service deal with some of the problems that have been aired here.

If BT had done nothing, then this thread wouldn't be 50 pages long. Another example of big business getting it totally wrong.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 494 of 698

The change of the email user interface started in December 2018 and to date there are hundreds of thousands of people moved onto the "new" email.

This thread, although 50 pages long has only a relatively small number of people posting on it in comparison to the numbers  moved onto the new system and as one would expect on a forum, it is only people who have a problem that post. It is very rare for people to post on a forum to say that the like something.

When one poster, see message 485, did post that he liked the new layout he was immediately challenged that he was only "baiting" those that had problems and that he was in the minority. The minority on this thread perhaps but not the minority if you count the numbers of those that have been moved onto the "new" email and have not come onto this forum to complain or moan about it.

It's a shame that somebody is not allowed to voice their opinion without being shot down!

While the "new" email undoubtedly had/has problems it is in my opinion nowhere near as bad as some of the people who have posted on this thread make out. It could be that some people just don't like change!

As regards an email client or as you call it an email handler, they are relatively easy to set up and in fact some of the people who have complained on this thread have said that they have previously used one and some are apparently old enough that if they have been using email since the Internet became main stream they will almost certainly have used Microsoft's Outlook Express email client or something similar and they should use an email client again.

I very rarely use webmail, in fact I have only been accessing it recently to try and assist the people who have come onto the forum complaining about the "new" email however as you and no doubt others feel that it is BT who should be helping them I will now happily bow out of this thread and leave you all to it.

oldles
Contributor
Message 495 of 698

The comments highlight  "You cannot please all the people all the time " ... the numbers for  like / dislike don't mean a lot... my main complaint is the ' design ' of the email pages is primarily to provide BT with hits for its own products. not to make the user experience easy and useful .... We don't need the purple  banners full of links, once is more than enough ...  Anyone who uses other email services will know what i mean..  From the way the software , flashes and reloads , (here included ).. hints at poor code and implementation..

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 496 of 698

At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, why people use a web browser to collect email is beyond me.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 497 of 698

@oldles wrote:

The comments highlight  "You cannot please all the people all the time " ... the numbers for  like / dislike don't mean a lot... my main complaint is the ' design ' of the email pages is primarily to provide BT with hits for its own products. not to make the user experience easy and useful .... We don't need the purple  banners full of links, once is more than enough ...  Anyone who uses other email services will know what i mean..  From the way the software , flashes and reloads , (here included ).. hints at poor code and implementation..

The whole idea of webmail, ie a web page, was to allow email providers to sell advertising space. You do not get adverts in an email client!

EDIT: I should have added that you agreed to adverts being displayed in the BT email system when you agreed to the Terms and Conditions of BT Internet when you first signed up.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 498 of 698

My bank has just changed it's layout, the difference being that unlike BT, it gave some warning.

Functionally, it is no different to the previous offering, i.e. it does statements, money transfers etc., but now takes longer to find your way around, statements are padded out instead of being simple line entries. However, it now looks "fresh" and "contemporary" and possibly aimed at a younger audience.

Both these examples are the IT equivalent of redecorating the sitting room. It's still a room, but out go all the comfy three piece suites and velvet drapes to be replaced with stuff from Homebase or whatever. How many companies get things wrong when they let the designers loose on an established product? Take Whirlpool for example. Been making simple things like tumble driers for years. Now, hugely damaged brand, spending millions to put things right.

Ref 485, being "in IT" obviously has it's advantages, otherwise I would have missed the new scrolling responsiveness and the enhanced filing. And the last time I ever said wow to anything, and probably didn't, was unwrapping the Triang train set

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 499 of 698

It makes no odds if 485 was in IT or not. He is entitled to his opinion without being shot down just because that opinion is at odds with another posters opinion!

The email layout ain't going back so they will need to get used to it or move to another email supplier.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 500 of 698

At the risk of pouring petrol on the flames, I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

A bit of background. I never use webmail except for the odd occasion to check for spam on a POP3 account so have not been used to any particular GUI. My main email is with BTYahoo rather than BTMail, however due to a quirk during the period that accounts were being transferred, I managed to somehow create a test address on BTMail which I look at very infrequently. This address has just been changed to the new layout since the last time I logged in to it.

As a 'new' user to the new layout, I find it totally usable and intuitive, possibly if I had been using the old GUI for any length of time I might find it different but not unusable.