cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piglet22
Contributor
Message 631 of 640

Re: New BT Mail Layout

I'm surprised this is still rumbling on.

My good ladyfriend, who hates computers and hated this new e-mail stuff, now manages just fine.

It's hard to see what the fuss is about. You use "free" e-mail, you get free e-mail, the ads and purple banners are part of it. It's like free anti-virus and the daily nagging intrusions, AVG and Malwarebytes to name two.

@John Clegg. The CEO of BT has a lot more on their plate than worrying about an e-mail service - their attention is on what brings the dosh in and e-mails don't. You can bet your last Pound/Euro/Dollar that they don't start their day logging into BT Mail.

I see that someone is still struggling with composing and adding contacts, I guess. It's not stated if the problem is with Outlook Express (Microsoft Mail) or BT Mail. Just for fun, I added a new account to Mail, but if you haven't added contacts to the list, they don't show. But that's no different to any other mail application. You either add them manually or if feeling brave, you import them. To my mind, you use the free stuff and get 63 pages of problems, or use something like Outlook (paid up) and wonder what the grief is all about.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 632 of 640

Yes you are correct the CEO does not have a day job that includes looking after email but the point of a CEO email is that it flags an important issue that is not being addressed by normal means. The CEO office in BT has a whole Executive department of people, last time it was in NI but it could be anywhere in this country, who are charged with resolving deep issues in one way or another.

In most cases it will just be forwarded to the Executive team after the CEO's front door has noticed it's not really for them and pushed it on to the executive team that is charged with "resolving" these issues. One of the curious things is that if you word the subject line of the email in a creative way and send it on the weekend, the CEO will read it and may even sometimes he/she will actually respond to apologise for the situation and agree to send it on to their executive team.

The one thing that is for sure is that any communication emails sent directly to the CEO of any company are ignored at their peril and worse the CEO remit is generally to ensure the company is actually well oiled so they would never ignore them they just would not be dealing with them at their level - they will know where they should be directed and depending on their importance may ask to be kept informed. Any CEO would not be so stupid to ignore anything that may come back to bite them in the future.

On the monetary Value of the email system - nothing is ever free - if you wish to leave BT and are closely tied into their email, as they want you to be, you will have to pay to keep that aspect if you leave. There will be many people who have left BT where this applies.

Whilst the email system I am having issues with is BT/Yahoo then BT pays another company to actually look after this aspect. Recently one could use Yahoo logins to switch over to the BT system whilst it was having issue but BT has now stopped this capability and forced initial login through the BT front end, its still Yahoo underneath for the BT/Yahoo version. 

I am currently having issues along with a number of others with the calendar parts of BT/Email and it's really frustrating and I am personally looking at moving away from the BT email ties but as an ex employee and someone who still has an affectionate and financial connection I am reluctant to do this - fix the email and I won;t event think of it as the cost means the deal I agree each time the contract comes up does not cut in. However, this sort of thing would eventually turn me elsewhere, the CEO would be very interested in anything that could hit the company bottom line and people leaving the BT broadband could be the result.

So for me I am working with the team on here, via another thread, before I take it to the team in the CEO executive complaints office, although a part of me thinks that they are potentially one and the same. They definitely have the accents and names to suggest it!.

piglet22
Contributor
Message 633 of 640

Unwina

I've been a personal customer of BT for over 40-years. I don't think they are any better or worse than any of the other communications providers and I wouldn't change simply because I didn't like the look and feel of their e-mails. There's nothing wrong with the basic e-mail service - you write it, send it, someone receives it. What most of the complaints are about here are either the way BT did it or the new look of the pages which users weren't used to. BT is perfectly entitled to change the look of things if it likes. What I would agree with is that this wasn't their finest hour.

The other thing I've had for a very long time, is Microsoft Office and it's predecessors. I do a huge amount of Excel work, followed by Word, a little Access, but next to Excel, is Outlook, which runs all the time. I like Office so much, I now use the subscription version 365. I've tried the free stuff like Libre Office, but always go back to Excel. Paying for Outlook is a very small part of the annual cost. It's still BT Mail coming in, but in the background only. With the archiving, searching and so on, I can find items from decades ago. It's under my control and very well backed up. As far as the "user interface" goes, it's no contest.

On the subject of writing to CEOs, I've had some success and some failures. The successes have always been with public bodies like Highways England, NHS and HMRC - they simply cannot ignore you. On one occasion, I gave evidence to the Public Accounts Committee and that did work wonders. One exception to that rule was Royal Mail, not Royal or Mail.

The failures have been in the private sector, a well-known supermarket and a very large Korean TV manufacturer. The TV dispute has been going on for nearly three years, despite going through the usual "customer support" channels. I thought I had got lucky when I found the "Presidents Office escalations", it felt like getting a first class upgrade. How wrong. The only difference is that someone writes to you telling you how hard they are working to fix the problem. In reality, it's the same old story, they just hope you will go away, give up. They have no intention of providing a solution.

Another fruitful route is to use a non-moderated review company. A one star review with some blunt speaking can get a 24-hour response and resolution, but should you have to go to all these lengths?

One thing I have learnt over the years, is that handing the money over always works a dream, but getting it back or getting a fix is a different story.

What BT should learn, is that if you change something which accepted or even liked, you do it at your peril. Most users probably didn't even think about the "old" mail, but the day the whole lot changed, and suddenly, it mattered. Given time, it will blow over, but as sure as the 5-year logo tarting up cycle goes, they'll do the mail stuff again.

ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 634 of 640

My problem isn’t the layout or anything like that, but the fact it does not work as it did for one major aspect. 

I have 5 different but email addresses- under the old system I could log on to the major email address and then using “change account” to go through the other 4 in turn - I did not have to go back to the major account to select the others.

NOW I log into my major account and if I’m lucky I am allowed to view just one of the others, any further “change account” requests bounce me back to the log in screen. This is the same result on a iPad as it is on a windows10 machine.

PLEASE don’t try and direct me to outlook - I have tried that route following the BT instructions and this doesn’t work for my accounts.

0 Ratings
piglet22
Contributor
Message 635 of 640

Well, don't follow the BT instructions. Follow the Outlook instructions or just look on Google. Unless you have some accounts that don't fit the "normal" profile, you won't have a problem adding accounts. I can assure you it works for BT mail, Hotmail and gmail, (2 x BT, 1 x Hotmail, 2 x gmail). I don't suppose BT are going to be helpful when adding rival accounts to their webmail. If you have Outlook, full version, do you use it any e-mail? Even Outlook Express (Win10 Mail) works fine adding accounts. Maybe you'll just have to put up with the BT problems if you don't want to try other solutions
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 636 of 640

@ypt wrote:

My problem isn’t the layout or anything like that, but the fact it does not work as it did for one major aspect. 

I have 5 different but email addresses- under the old system I could log on to the major email address and then using “change account” to go through the other 4 in turn - I did not have to go back to the major account to select the others.

NOW I log into my major account and if I’m lucky I am allowed to view just one of the others, any further “change account” requests bounce me back to the log in screen. This is the same result on a iPad as it is on a windows10 machine.

PLEASE don’t try and direct me to outlook - I have tried that route following the BT instructions and this doesn’t work for my accounts.

Log onto your email account and go into the settings found by clicking on your username at the right hand side and then go to Mail > Accounts > Add.

Enter all the email accounts that you want. This will have them appear on the left hand side below your  "major" email address and folders.  Set them up as IMAP and this will allow you to access and use all your email accounts in the same manner as though you have logged onto each one.

This is in effect setting your webmail to act as an email client such as Outlook.

The settings you need are here.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
alrjar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 637 of 640

I have found that this happens if I don't log into My BT first. Not doing so and going straight to email from the BT homepage only allows me to see my main account. However, by logging in to My BT and then going to email once that has loaded then gives me the option to "switch accounts". You find the link for that by scrolling down the lefthand pane where your folders are listed. It is underneath that list. Clicking on that then shows all your email addresses for you to choose the one to view. Quite why BT have to make it such a convoluted process is a mystery to me....but it does work if you do it that way.

I have got to grips with the new layout now but still find the tiny icons and grey on white background for them very difficult to deal with as they are hard to see for those with poor eye sight. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 638 of 640

@alrjar wrote:

Quite why BT have to make it such a convoluted process is a mystery to me....but it does work if you do it that way.

I suspect it is done that way because the email addresses are not linked to one another other than via your MyBT. Only by logging onto your MyBT it would allow the owner, you, of those accounts to be able to access them.  

As you may be aware you have eleven email addresses available through your MyBT. You can keep them to your self or you can "gift" them to other people, who would need to accept the email address and set up their own MyBT. This would allow them to manage the address and would stop you from being able to access it via your MyBT hence the reason you must be logged onto your MyBT to see all the accounts that are linked to it.

See links about types of email addresses

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-and-activate-a-new-bt-email-a...

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 639 of 640

hmm! I haven't used the email management process for quite a while - sadly the master account was changed after I had problems with previous changes about a year or so ago - the user system had been mangled for my account by me when favourite arrived and I inadvertently messed the system up - for me that is. One of the kind chaps in the BT department who deal with issues on here helped me and in the end manually made some changes back to the old way it was set up using my personal email. Sadly its not worked for me since then but I don;t usually make that many changes. Boy have they made a mess of something that was just a simple link from the yahoo email settings and as usual there seems to be no logic any more to how this is achieved.

Mind you having been a s/w developer and designer in the past I have long since been an advocate of if it ain't broke don;t try and fix it. Whilst I don't need a job anymore I guess with an attitude like this i'd never get a job with MicroSnot or any of the more modern companies that seem where s/w bods seem to have a job for life making unnecessary changes!. (Just my personal slant though I guess some people love change for changes sake.

johnclegg
Contributor
Message 640 of 640

Update

Had a call from a very nice man from the " Executives Office" with regard to my complaint to the CEO , he will go far , probably into politics , at no point in time did he admit there was a problem , but did go to great pains pointing out that Windows XP is no longer supported ( so ? ) .

As for all the posts on the Forum " this represents only a minute proportion of their customer base" , but there is no BT mail problem...

Also they have  no concerns about making new software releases backward compatible...

On the Up side , it seems they are still meddling with the software on a daily basis as " certain problems" are continuing to be solved..

Burying my head in the sand once more....

John