cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smurf001
Contributor
Message 1 of 40

New BT Mail Problems

Unfortunately I have now been moved over to the new BT Mail. 

These are the problems I have had so far after only using for a hour!

1.  There was no option to skip setting up the user id so in order to access my emails I had to set it up which means my email address is now the same as my user id, although my bt account details are not yet showing.  It may be that there is a second stage where I have to input my bt account details but I would rather not have the same id and password for my log on as my emails.

2.  I use webmail rather than a client, I know most people prefer a client but the reason up to now that I have used webmail and the Yahoo mail app is that I forward email from another account to my bt mail and I prefer this other address to be my default sending address.  As yet I have been unable to find another email program on my iphone that enables me to do this. 

3.  Although earlier I was able to sign into my emails through webmail on my computer I am no longer able to access my emails, it just times out. 

4.  I have not yet been able to set up my alternative email address as the default sending address, I am not saying it's not possible as I have not had the opportunity to try it, mainly because I am no longer able to access my emails.

5.  When I was able to access my emails I noticed that the viewing screen is a lot smaller than Yahoo mail and I can not either see the list or preview much detail.

6.  When I highlight an email to read on the preview it is automatically marked as read.  Again I am not saying it is not possible to stop this as am struggling to even sign in to my account now!

7.  Has anyone found a decent app to replace the Yahoo Mail app?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 40

Re: New BT Mail Problems

You could try the email app K9 on your iphone.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 40

@smurf001, In response to your point 1, I agree there is no option to skip the BT ID step unfortunately but you should be able to see your account details and there is no second step. I went through the process as you did few days back.

The only problems I've encountered are; intermittent slow in receiving emails and the web mail seems a little slow. I use email client so do do have the same problems as you do.

0 Ratings
smurf001
Contributor
Message 4 of 40

Thanks both for the advice I will have a look at the app K9, although if what I have been told by a BT adviser is true I will no longer be able to use the BT Mail in the way I was so will revert to my other account.

Firstly the adviser told me that it is not possible to use BT Mail with Firefox

Secondly he told me they are working on a BT Mail app which should be available in a couple of months.

Thirdy and most importantly to me is he said it will no longer be possible to send emails through BT using a third party email address.  My third party email account only has a limited storage box which is why I opted to use BT so I will now have to find an alternative solution or I will lose historic emails.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 5 of 40

@smurf001 wrote:

Firstly the adviser told me that it is not possible to use BT Mail with Firefox

Secondly he told me they are working on a BT Mail app which should be available in a couple of months.

Thirdy and most importantly to me is he said it will no longer be possible to send emails through BT using a third party email address.  My third party email account only has a limited storage box which is why I opted to use BT so I will now have to find an alternative solution or I will lose historic emails.

You spoke to an adviser who has not got a clue. The first and third points he made are totally wrong. Hopefully he's not wrong on the second point but I suspect he probably is.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
smurf001
Contributor
Message 6 of 40

Hi Oliver341

I am hoping you are correct and the BT advisor is wrong.  I did ask to speak to someone else but he would not transfer me.

Any ideas how I can get through to someone with more knowledge that may be able to talk me through using a third party email account?

I also have other problems with BT Mail, as I've listed above, which the advisor was unable to help with. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 40

I can assure you that Oliver 341 is correct. To send using BTMail for your third party account you need to use your BTinternet email address and password in the send section but your third party details in the receive.

0 Ratings
smurf001
Contributor
Message 8 of 40

Hi Licquorice

That is the way I used to have pop email set up.  Does it work the same for Imap and Webmail?

I have tried looking for the mail app K9 but am wondering whether it is not ios as I can not find it in the app store?

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 9 of 40

POP3 configuration below. IMAP is the same principle.

smtp1.png

smtp2.png

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
smurf001
Contributor
Message 10 of 40

I have now managed to set up my third party email on BT webmail but it does not work the same way as previously and so far does not give me the ability to use my third party account for sending emails.  It does say in the instructions it is possible despite what the BT advisor told me!

I have now set up Thunderbird using Imap to receive and send emails for both accounts.  Thank you.   Unfortunately it does not work as it did previously but it's better than nothing!

The whole thing BT Webmail and Thunderbird is very clunky compared to what used to be available with Yahoo mail  and it just keeps timing out when I try to do anything.

0 Ratings