cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
viffergb
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

New BT Mail System - Disposable Addresses remain active?

Go to solution

Hi

Will the disposable addresses that I have created *@yahoo.co.uk under my @btinternet.com account remain in place and active once the change takes place?  I've received the email with the unique reference number and have responded accordingly.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 27

Re: New BT Mail System - Disposable Addresses remain active?

Go to solution

What is the email you have received about ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

At some point, all the disposable addresses will be switched off.  I am not aware that BT (or Yahoo) have said exactly when, other than before the end of this year.

viffergb
Contributor
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks.  After leaving my question on here I trawled through the various help pages and found the same response as you've kindly come back with.

Looks like I need to try and track - going to be difficult - those institutions where I've used a disposable address to register myself and change to a non-disposable one.

Hey-ho....that's gonna be fun....NOT Smiley Sad

Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

BT are just a big corporation that does not give a xxxx for consumers. I have got somewhere around 170 disposable addresses, set up as instructed over the years.  That is one heck of a lot of work to go through and sort them out.

Can I keep an account with Yahoo, and thus keep the disposable addresses?  I like their email system and am very used to it.

Typically, even today the BT.com web site is advertising broadband with BTYahoo email, and explaining about it. No mention that it will disappear soon, perhaps even before the newbies have got their internet installed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

@Fellwalker wrote:

BT are just a big corporation that does not give a xxxx for consumers. I have got somewhere around 170 disposable addresses, set up as instructed over the years.  That is one heck of a lot of work to go through and sort them out.

Can I keep an account with Yahoo, and thus keep the disposable addresses?  I like their email system and am very used to it.

Typically, even today the BT.com web site is advertising broadband with BTYahoo email, and explaining about it. No mention that it will disappear soon, perhaps even before the newbies have got their internet installed!

As far as I am aware, the only information that we have is on the new BT email system - and the fate of disposable addresses - is at www.bt.com/newemail   . My reading of that page is that existing disposable addresses will cease to work after the migration but that there may be a replacement offered under the new system.

We do not yet know how the migration will be managed nor how long will be available to manage the setting up of new disposable addresses. I have fewer disposable addresses than you but even so I have already started replacing them with new addresses that I know will continue to work after the migration.

You can certainly set up a new Yahoo account - independently of BT - and create disposable addresses there. You may even be able to forward emails from your existing BT disposable addresses to the new Yahoo account (I haven't tried) but that is likely to stop after the migration - although how soon after is unknown. But I haven't found any way to link existing BT disposable addresses to a different Yahoo account.

Michael
0 Ratings
str8chat
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I have a yahoo.com account and a yahoo.co.uk account, which I access directly without going through BT. These free accounts do not support disposable addresses. To get disposable addresses on these accounts, I have would have to upgrade to Yahoo Plus Mail at a cost of around $20 per year.

I find the BT website soooo slooow that I rarely log in to it. I use an email client to access my accounts, and with a large number of disposable addresses on my primary and several sub accounts, it will be a real bind having to change all my disposable addresses whatever solution BT eventually come up with (if they ever get it working properly). I use several accounts to separate family, friends, sellers and work colleagues. This allows me to fetch emails from a specific group only if I so desire. Disposable addresses are really useful as each person or institution I contact have their own address allocated for contacting me. If an address starts getting spam, I replace it and have only one contact to update with the change. Unless BT start offering up to 500 sub-accounts, or provide a decent alternative to the Yahoo system, spam will become a major problem.

Also, since the email spam filters provided by Yahoo (and possibly to be replicated by BT) can put suspect emails in to a spam mail box that the email client cannot access, I set up mail rules on the site that push everything in to the mail server's Inbox. Before I did this, I found that emails I was expecting had not been fetched by the email client because of mail server wrongly recognised them as spam. My solution:

If the subject line contains 'rhubarb' put the email in the Inbox

and

If the subject line does not contain 'rhubarb' put the email in the Inbox.

This seems to stop Yahoo's mail servers from detecting any spam and allows my email client to get everything.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem - at least until BT do something totally different.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

@viffergb wrote:

Hi

@Will the disposable addresses that I have created *@yahoo.co.uk under my @btinternet.com account remain in place and active once the change takes place?  I've received the email with the unique reference number and have responded accordingly.

Thanks.

Hi.

The email with the unique reference is different to disposable addresses. Sounds like you have more than one primary address, probably from ages ago and a "pay as you go" type - I have loads - and the email is to enable associating the payg to your normal primary if you require to keep it and have enough spares.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

@str8chat wrote:

Also, since the email spam filters provided by Yahoo (and possibly to be replicated by BT) can put suspect emails in to a spam mail box that the email client cannot access, I set up mail rules on the site that push everything in to the mail server's Inbox. Before I did this, I found that emails I was expecting had not been fetched by the email client because of mail server wrongly recognised them as spam. My solution:

If the subject line contains 'rhubarb' put the email in the Inbox

and

If the subject line does not contain 'rhubarb' put the email in the Inbox.

This seems to stop Yahoo's mail servers from detecting any spam and allows my email client to get everything.

I hope this helps anyone with a similar problem - at least until BT do something totally different.

Hi.

Although your solution is quite elegant, there is a simpler way - and that is to use :-

"Cog"

Mail Options

POP & Forwarding

In Access BTYahoo! mail via POP, choose the option "Download spam but prefix 'Spam'"

However, on my emails - the prefix is actually [Bulk], which is either legacy from years back or they haven't got the wording correct Smiley Happy

Thus in the mail client you can set a rule where [Bulk] is looked for at the beginning of the line and sent to a specific local mail client folder.

0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution
I have the same problem and have not received any answers. I have used a number of disposable e-mail addresses for different subscriptions or shopping etc so its going to be a nightmare to track them all down. May just have to give up have to re-join at a lot of places.
0 Ratings