cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 27

Re: New BT Mail System - Disposable Addresses remain active?

Go to solution

@ssrco02 wrote:
I have the same problem and have not received any answers. I have used a number of disposable e-mail addresses for different subscriptions or shopping etc so its going to be a nightmare to track them all down. May just have to give up have to re-join at a lot of places.

Hi.

Can you say what question you are asking with regard disposable addresses ? There are a few other posts in this thread, and it's hard to see what one you are referring to when you say "I have the same problem".

Any existing ones will be lost when your account completes the migration to Critical Path.

0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution
When will this happen and what will the process be for a start.
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

BT are being obtuse. First this was coming in in September, then it was delayed a month, now we've heard no more.  Clearly we have to keep checking the new email web page http://www.bt.com/newemail otherwise we will not have a clue.  On there, it says

A disposable email address is an email address that you set up for those times when you need a valid email address, but don't want to give out your primary email address.

Although you'll be able to create up to 200 disposable email address with the new BT Mail service , it won't be possible to move your existing ones from BT Yahoo over.

If this affects you, we'll get in touch nearer the time to let you know what to do.

As you feel, it is the "nearer the time" that I cannot do with.  Will we get a month, a week or a day?  What if I'm on holiday when I get a week's notice, and cannot do anything till I return home to my PC?  Meantime, there are more disposable addresses that I am setting up - not many more, but all the same...  And until then I cannot find a way in Mail to export those address and the notes I have put with them.  If Andy_N or someone else knows, please do tell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

You start to get the feeling that it will happen with little notice and all our old stuff will be chopped off.  I have now started a list that I update when I go to a site where I have used on of the Yahoo disposables just to remind me where they all are..

I have three e-mail addresses on the old  " @btinternet.com"  but I cannot find now where to build any new ones in advance to get prepared.  

Anyone know how?

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

@ssrco02 wrote:

Anyone know how?

Create new mailboxes on the new system here: https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/manageEmailAccounts.do

Oliver.
0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

Just tried using the link but I get an error message saying

"Regret for the inconvenience cause, we are currently unable to find mailbox information corresponding to the account"

The spelling mistake is not mine!

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

Odd, it works ok here.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution
Hmmm, still doesn't work for me. Maybe its something particular to my account?
Also, I have to log in to My BT using my BT ID but to get into mail from the new front page where it says to enter your BT ID or e-mail the BT ID will not work, I have to use the e-mail option. Wonder if that is a co-incidence or more significant?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

Your BT Id to give you access to MyBT and your email address and password are not necessarily the same unless you have set them up to be same.

If you want to change your MyBT user ID or BT ID, confusingly they are both the same thing, you need to log onto MyBT and go to your profile. You will then be able to change your user ID and password. You can make this anything you want, even the same as your email and password if you wish.

If you do change it to the same as your email address and password you would obviously then be able to use it to log into MyBT and your email using the same details.

As you may be aware, you can not change your email but you can change the email password if you wish.

0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution
Ahhh, I think the light is starting to dawn a bit, so yes I can change the MyBT access stuff to the same ones as my e-mail after all.
Thanks for clearing that one up.

Still doesn't help with the original issue of the disposable e-mail and when it will all disappear. Just wish we were being told something of When and How it will happen.
I started to try and add some e-mail addresses to my main btinternet one in preparation but keep getting the error message saying they are unable to find mailbox information corresponding to my account, thats when I wondered if the MyBT thing was part of the confusion. Probably not, but these things make you a bit paranoid.

To quote Thomas Moore from my favourite film " I trust I make myself obscure"
0 Ratings