cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patcho
Message 1 of 15

New BT.com webmail page advertising

Hello!  I'm new and hope that I am posting my question to the correct forum.  I am ready to migrate to BT broadband.  I use a Samsung Chromebook and will therefore also be using BT webmail facility.  I see that there is move to bt.com planned.  As far as I can tell current users of BT webmail have advertisements on their webmail pages i.e. inbox, compose, etc. etc.

I'd be glad if anyone can tell me if the new bt.com webmail pages will also carry advertisements.  It seems a bit strange to me that this is happening with a paid subscription service.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: New BT.com webmail page advertising

I would imagine that it will much to the annoyance of many. You could use the Chrome add on -  adblock plus - it should block most of the adverts. One thing to bear in mind if you do use it is that adblockers have been known to cause some of the browser pages not to display correctly so if you have that problem turn Adblocker Plus off. 

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

Take gg's advice. I had a stint with Chrome and am currently on Firefox, both with adblock add-ons. Hardly ever see an advert anywhere.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Patcho
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for your prompt reply gg.

So are you confirming that the new webmail pages of BT.com will show advertising?

0 Ratings
Patcho
Message 5 of 15

That's interesting pp; thank you.  I think with my Chromebook I don't have any option to use Firefox.  But your comments and gg's make me feel that perhaps it's not worth migrating from an ad-free isp webmail to BT.  I wonder why BT charges a subscription and also places advertising on the webmail page?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 15

Generally easiest to avoid any ISP email, as that removes issues if you choose to switch ISP.

You might need to use ISP email for occasional messages, for example some sites insist on a non-generic email for login, but not often.  I have gmail: most used from Thunderbird but when I do use the web client an Adblock keeps the adverts down to a minimum.  All my BT email is forwarded to gmail (I'll need to make sure that still works as BT undergo what appears to be a rather incompentant migration), so I hardly ever log on to BT mail at all.

IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

FWIW I agree with Patcho.

I can understand, and tolerate, adverts on a freebie email service, but this isn't a freebie - it's a paid-for servic.

I see as many ads, taking up roughly the same screen space, on my PAID FOR webmail from BTY as I see on my freebie accounts - vanilla Yahoo, Gmail etc.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether the new mail service will carry ads - I hope not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

The webmail interface is currently provided by Yahoo.  Yahoo is primarily financed by advertising, and so sticks adverts on everything.  The new T&Cs for Yahoo webmail even requires you to agree that Yahoo must place advertising on your webmail pages.

I haven't seen the new BT version yet, nor seen the T&Cs that will apply.

Patcho
Message 9 of 15

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  I am glad that I thought to post my query here as it's been a useful learning experience for me.

0 Ratings
greglee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Lately i have been geeting highlighted words on all my Bt emails pop ups when i browse firefox which is my main browser hacve run spybot says i am clear have adblock says the same so maybe its Bt new idea ,if it is i will think of leaving them not to happy with bt at the moment ..

0 Ratings