Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: New BT.com webmail page advertising

@Ectophile wrote:

The webmail interface is currently provided by Yahoo.  Yahoo is primarily financed by advertising, and so sticks adverts on everything. 

One of the apparent benefits of the Yahoo Plus email service (which is effectively what all BTY have) according to Yahoo's own blurb - which also contains a tacit admission that they know that people find thier advertising to be annoying - is that it carries no graphical ads...

The new T&Cs for Yahoo webmail even requires you to agree that Yahoo must place advertising on your webmail pages.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with your imterpretation of the T&C's as "must"...however...

...agreeing to them in order to be able to use the service is not the same as agreeing that is a reasonable thing to do.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 15

The latest fiasco is a bar with some film trailer so difficult to avoid. Just makes me more annoyed and does nothing useful

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 15

The actual wording from Yahoo's T&Cs is:

"2.7 Advertisements: You understand and agree that the Services may include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for Yahoo! to provide the Services."

So by using the webmail, you are agreeing that adverts are necessary for them to provide the service.

If you really hate adverts, or if (like me) you really hate Yahoo's new T&Cs, then a user on the BT support newsgroups posted a workaround - use the mobile phone web portal instead.  Go to http://m.yahoo.com then log in.  There's a "mail" link in the top right corner.  It's pretty ugly on a desktop PC, and not always very intuitive, but it does work.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 15

I'm well aware of the T's&C's that I've agreed to, and what they mean  ("may" does not mean "must")

But that's not the point - which is whether or not splashing ads all over a paid-for sevice is reasonable.

IMO it isn't.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 15

@IanC wrote:

I'm well aware of the T's&C's that I've agreed to, and what they mean  ("may" does not mean "must")

But that's not the point - which is whether or not splashing ads all over a paid-for sevice is reasonable.

IMO it isn't.

It isn't just the webmail page that has advertisements.

Ads have now wriggled their way in to the main BT.com pages.

It's annoying when you have a screen permanently zoomed to 125% in IE10.

The ads occupy the full width of the page at the top of the screen - useful space gone, and yet more fiddling with the mouse or pad - that's when you have finished with closing the survey pop-up panel just to look at My BT.

Note also , the advertising text size.

0 Ratings