cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

New BT email T&C vs content deletion

So tonight I've received an automated email advising that from June, if I do not check my email accounts (each of them) at least once every 150 days, the account and all related matter will be deleted. Whilst the reality is that it's unlikely accounts won't go unchecked for that long, I take exception to what almost reads as a threat. If BT are capable of detecting an account has not been accessed for a period then why on earth can't a courtesy email be sent, perhaps to the customer's master account?

I use other (free, I might add) services, such as No-IP for example, that send a reminder if the service has not been used for a while, so why can't BT do that for paying customers?

As I say, chances are it won't affect me, but the approach seems somewhat less than customer friendly.
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: New BT email T&C vs content deletion

Bear in mind that BT have outsourced all their email service to Yahoo.  So this isn't really a BT decision, it's Yahoo's.

I suspect that Yahoo are getting fed up with having vast numbers of abandoned email accounts, full of old mails that are cluttering up their servers.  Hence the decision that any acount left unused for 150 days will simply be dumped.  That even includes BT primary email addresses.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

But I do use all my email accounts, all the time, I just do not log in to BT to access them, they are automatically obtained by my Apple email client.

So now I have to remember to login to BT and if I fail to login despite using the account for email it will be deleted.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

BT should rethink this stupid idea as once again they are likely to lose a lot of customers.

In my case that would mean:

Phone & Line

Broadband

BT Vision.

Thanks once again BT

0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Yes I came across that thread last night, apols for cross posting, folks.
Regardless of whether the service is managed by Yahoo or whoever, I buy the service from BT, and the rather curt threat we've received is in their name so they are responsible for content. As I've said already, other companies I use for free services can issue a polite reminder to a nominated account once they see a service has not been used for a period, so with its army of outsourced operatives, why can't BT? Simple.

I do like the point made about no email=unable to read of price increases though....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@tellboy wrote:

But I do use all my email accounts, all the time, I just do not log in to BT to access them, they are automatically obtained by my Apple email client.

So now I have to remember to login to BT and if I fail to login despite using the account for email it will be deleted.

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

Er, not as outrageous as you think. Read the stuff carefully, especially the bit that says your account will keep working as long as you continue to log in and use it from your computer email software.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 8

As BT Fon and the free Flickr PRO account are also tied to the BT email address, I assume that use of either of these will also prevent the account being terminated.

Those should also be written into the 'don't worry' bit for clarification.

I see these are explicitly mentioned further down the page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@tellboy wrote:

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

BT should rethink this stupid idea as once again they are likely to lose a lot of customers.

In my case that would mean:

Phone & Line

Broadband

BT Vision.

Thanks once again BT

When you get the email notification, read it carefully.  It does NOT say that you have to log into the BT Yahoo web site every 150 days.  Every time you fire up your email client, it logs on to the server.  That's enough.

0 Ratings