Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

New Email Is Rubbish

Dear All

I was proud to say that I am an Ex-BT employee of 38 Years service , but now feel ashamed to mention it in even a whisper...the old system was flawed and full of adverts making it difficult to read emails...the new system is even worse...so much so that I can't even be bothered to sit in a queue to chat to someone in Mumbai to no avail.

Why oh why do they not test things before unleashing them on the general public...it's a disgrace.

All I can do is recommend Adblock Plus to remove those annoying adverts or maybe Mozilla Firefox to handle the mail.

All this after upgrading to " fibre to the Cabinet " , which is slower than my copper line all the way back to the exchange.

All the " trained engineers " do is reset the Front end processor and say " no fault found , please try again ".

Rant Over 

Saddened

John 

Am even considering paying the £400 " fine " to finish my contract early to fins peace of mind..

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: New BT Mail Layout

New Email Is Rubbish

Dear All

I was proud to say that I am an Ex-BT employee of 38 Years service , but now feel ashamed to mention it in even a whisper...the old system was flawed and full of adverts making it difficult to read emails...the new system is even worse...so much so that I can't even be bothered to sit in a queue to chat to someone in Mumbai to no avail.

Why oh why do they not test things before unleashing them on the general public...it's a disgrace.

All I can do is recommend Adblock Plus to remove those annoying adverts or maybe Mozilla Firefox to handle the mail.

All this after upgrading to " fibre to the Cabinet " , which is slower than my copper line all the way back to the exchange.

All the " trained engineers " do is reset the Front end processor and say " no fault found , please try again ".

Rant Over 

Saddened

John 

Am even considering paying the £400 " fine " to finish my contract early to find peace of mind..

0 Ratings
piglet22
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 23

Re: New BT Mail Layout

John

You have my sympathy.

As an ex-employee of a large public utility that was privatised, I too am ashamed to see some of the things that go on.

Admittedly things were bad before privatisation, but when the golden goose day arrived, the first thing the directors did, apart from ordering themselves BMWs, was to diversify into businesses they had no experience of so that they could be proper businessmen, but more importantly, by diversifying into unregulated businesses, the opportunity for big profits was there. The core business was now a hindrance and was run into the ground. The core employees took the hint and  and hastened the process or left the company in droves.

When the glittery subsidiary businesses folded, the truth hit the directors, but all the engineers and scientists had gone. This resulted in some of the biggest fines going and the now offshore owners must be wondering what they took on. The latest thing to hit the company is big job losses in what was left of customer service which is now in the hands of that well-known contractor Capita, with offices in Bangalore.

I'm surprised by what you said about fibre, but in some ways I'm not.

Chin up

ScreamingSkull
Beginner
Message 4 of 23

Re: New Email Is Rubbish

What can I say!  The interface is so basic. This new email system must have been designed by a 3 year old child and is not fit for purpose.  It used to be so easy to send images via the old system.  You could see a thumbnail of the images being sent.  Now you see a minuscule image if you are lucky!  What an utter **bleep** up!!!!!

0 Ratings
BOBBYGREIG
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

John

I to worked for BT for 38 years.

I agree with everything you have said about this "new" BT EMAIL.

It is rubbish.

It is absolutely shocking and I wonder does anyone in high management in BT read all the thousands of emails from customers all saying the same thing.

Trying to put emails in folders is now time consuming and the whole new look is very cheap indeed.

All the best

Bob Greig

0 Ratings
johnclegg
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Dear all

Am confused now , no surprise there , how many threads are there about BTs “New Improved Email .”

New email is rubbish

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-Email-Is-Rubbish/m-p/2057516#M83368

New BT mail layout

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-Mail-Layout/m-p/2055285#M82754

Recent 2020email changes

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-Mail-Layout/td-p/1904548/page/77

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

If you thought last year's service was bad, the new "improved" email is several magnitudes worse.

Currently been waiting over 5 minutes for the login page to load & when it does, the average time to load each email to read is 30 seconds & more.

The logical up & down next/previous arrows have been replaced with meaningless & illogical left & right arrows & I can no longer start reading my emails from the oldest unread first, as on deleting, I'm sent to the older, rather than next newest email.

Extra steps are now needed to move emails between folders & on replying to an email, you need to be a touch typist, as hitting the enter/return key then typing produces nothing, as you need to hit enter twice to start the next line.

This is  a third rate service, signed off as fit for use in a demonstration of crass incompetence & change for changes sake.

0 Ratings
destiny234
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Regarding moving emails to a folder ( a long laborious job now ) some of my folders have gone completely. And some have gone to a duplicate list which follows on down as I scroll so it`s double the length, if its a W email then it`s a long long wait as there is no fast scroll bar, just the scroll wheel on the mouse. It is an absolute nightmare, what can we do about it though apart from leave. I am not actually with BT anymore but I wanted to keep my email address so I pay £7.50 a month to do this, I wish there was another way, it`s very depressing.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

@destiny234 wrote:

Regarding moving emails to a folder ( a long laborious job now ) some of my folders have gone completely. And some have gone to a duplicate list which follows on down as I scroll so it`s double the length, if its a W email then it`s a long long wait as there is no fast scroll bar, just the scroll wheel on the mouse. It is an absolute nightmare, what can we do about it though apart from leave. I am not actually with BT anymore but I wanted to keep my email address so I pay £7.50 a month to do this, I wish there was another way, it`s very depressing.

You can drag and drop emails into folders.

If you do want to stop paying for BT Premium email you can now "downgrade" to the "Basic" email service. You can not use email clients or apps with this service but it is free.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

SandS
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

It is contemptible that BT use the deliberate trick of slowing everything down to force you to pay for a "Premium Service" . We already pay for it in our broadband contract and there is a reasonable expectation the service we did get when we started would continue - instead it is totally unusable -  20 mins to open the sent folder, 10 minutes to open an e-mail - can't search on the content of an e-mail just the headline content. Aghhhhh !!!!

0 Ratings