cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JFGChelm
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New email format !

I cannot be the only person who has found the new email format to be inferior in many respects to the previous iteration. My main complaint is that if drafting a lengthy email, I will do this either in Microsoft 'Word' or 'One Note' first then copy and paste it across to a new email - if I do this 'live' the system will often time out. With the previous format, it was possible do the draft and 'copy & paste' text which maintained all the original style, font, paragraphs etc. But with the new email format, the layout of the text is completely changed with paragraph returns missing or grossly extended and text font and style lost. I have tried ticking the 'rich text' box and different browsers but still no good.

Some while ago, I raised this as a complaint and have had numerous conversations with the help desk all to no avail, and each time they try to close the complaint off. This culminated with a phone call a short while ago from BT  who quite brusquely said they were closing the complaint off, I have, therefore,  raised it again. Let me know your views on this new format - the Help Desk keep saying that I am the only one to complain !

JFGCHelm
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: New email format !

Hi, welcome to the forums.

You might want to look at this particular topic thread started last December.

There's currently around 63 pages and over 620 posts. A lot of the views, and help etc are in that thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/New-BT-Mail-Layout/td-p/1904548

0 Ratings
JFGChelm
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Dear Andy_N,

Many thanks for your reply.

I spent quite a while looking through probably half of those posts and certainly found complaints very similar to mine but no fixes. I just cannot believe that BT are sticking their 'head in the sand' and ignoring all the adverse comments about this new format. The last time I spoke to the help desk , I was told that because I was the only one to complain, they would be closing the complaint off - the forum proves that I am certainly not the only one and BT should and must take heed of all our complaints - do they ever look at this forum, if not I'm not sure what more we can do other than moving to another email host or using an email processor like Outlook but I'd prefer not to go down that road because accessing all my folders remotely would probably be a problem ?

JFGCHelm
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@JFGChelm wrote:

or using an email processor like Outlook but I'd prefer not to go down that road because accessing all my folders remotely would probably be a problem ?

Wouldn't be a problem at all if you configure Outlook or any other client as IMAP, all your folders would be replicated and would give you a far better mail experience than the abomination that is webmail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@JFGChelmwrote:

Dear Andy_N,

Many thanks for your reply.

using an email processor like Outlook but I'd prefer not to go down that road because accessing all my folders remotely would probably be a problem ?

Outlook, as can many mail clients, see all the folders if the account is set up as IMAP. Sometimes within the client you have to tell it to present the "non standard" folders, but they are there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you are cutting and pasting into your email you will probably be better to have the "rich text" box unticked.

This should allow your document to be pasted as it was formatted in your original document.

0 Ratings
JFGChelm
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Dear gg30340,

Many thanks for your posted reply.

At an earlier suggestion from the BT Helpdesk, I tried both ticking and unticking the 'rich text' box. The difference being that with the box unticked, although the text keeps the paragraph layout, it loses text alterations like italics, bold or underscored. With the box ticked, it keeps these alterations but totally screws up the paragraph layout and the only way round this, I found, is to save that email into the draft folder then 'carry on composing' to reinstate the paragraphs, then saving it again. I may have to do this twice before I get the original format back. This is a very much a nuisance and a time waster which I never had before.

I'll have to investigate other suggestions about using Outlook and configure it as IMAP but I'm not familiar with this and would welcome how to do it - I do not have Outlook on my PC to start with - and the bottom line is, I shouldn't have to do this and BT really need to heed all the criticism.

Kind regards, JFGChelm

JFGCHelm