Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 31 of 44

Re: New webmail release 2.20.2

@SueGSwrote:
would be nice if webmail even worked 😞

Was down for almost 2 hours, but appears to be working again now... (famous last words LOL)

0 Ratings
adam101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 44

@SeanD Any news on further releases and updates to webmail and also the app?

Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 44

Aye.

I'm still waiting for the restoration of the facility where on deleting an email, the next in line is then opened.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 34 of 44

I'm waiting ...

• On 'replying' to an email, when using the return key, you actually can type in text (currently it types nothing and is blank), rather than typing the response all in one continuous line then having to 'paragraph' it right at the end.
  • On receiving a new email into a subfolder, on interrogating that folder, that email will be there rather than having to refresh it to see it.
  • I pretty much accept now that the 'attachment' view is appalling, not allowing proper interrogation of photos, and taking in excess of 3 minutes to load in the 1st place... (Prior to upgrade, it was instantaneous, and you could zoom in/out when viewing photos)
0 Ratings
Thersites
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 44

"Please let us know of any feedback that you would like to share?"

Thanks for the invite, @SeanD.  here is my top 5:

1. UNEXPECTED ERROR:  It may be unexpected to you, but I expect to get - AND have to waste time and effort clicking on OK to dismiss - this particular error several times every single day.  Mostly after deleting unread messages in Inbox.  Can you not get a grip on this?

2. SPAM FILTER MANAGEMENT:  Functions for managing the spam-filtering remain rudimentary, with no ability to sort or search for blocked adddresses or domains.  Scrolling (the long toilet roll) is not a management tool.  And while '*' can be used in the first part of a blacklisted email address, it is (for no good reason) blocked from use in the domainname.  I receive daily spam from 2 sources which your filters miss and which *@*.onmicrosoft.com and *@santo*.com would block....but you don't support these expressions. Why not?

3. FIRST USE OF <CR> IN EMAIL REPLY:  I haven't spent what would be a lot of time FULLY characterising this, but suspect webmail is inserting and responding to hidden characters in the reply string, with unintended effects.   If an email is 'replied to', then the first time <CR> (carriage return) is used, webmail becomes unresponsive to the character keys of the keyboard (alphanumeric+symbols).  Repeated tapping - no response.  But if a mouseclick is used to reposition the cursor, or the up/down/left/right keys (which DO work) are used to reposition the cursor, the keyboard keys again work.  This bug has been present since the new UI appeared (I can't bring myself to call it an upgrade, because it isn't).  I can't believe I'm the first to notice this.

4. PHANTOM 'NEW MAIL':  During a long webmail session, I will usually see many times the 'You have new mail' screen message, and seldom is there actually any new mail when I do check.  My observations lead me to believ that this is a bu caused by your programmers failing to distinguish between new mail from elsewhere and the autosaving of a draft email i am working on, so that the drafts are falsely reported as new mail when they are saved.

5. OVERVIEW OF COMMUNITY STRUCTURE AND ORGANISATION:  There isn't one.  There will be a tree structure to how topics and postings are organised, but it's not visible to us poor saps.  I CAN see the tree structure above where I'm working (BT Community>Email>Email>New webmail release 2.20.2>Reply to Message) but nowhere is displayed THE WHOLE TREE.  You expect us to jump (Harry Potter Portkey-style) from a search-box and its predictably flawed results to somewhere deep in the tree where someone else has asked a Q or made a comment with one or two words in common....and understand the context?  And to know that far more comments have been made in an adjacent thread, which would have been reached by a synonym search? No: not possible. Tree-walking is a recognised navigation method that complements keyword searches - you should support it. Its absence is the reaon I seldom visit the (apparently unstructured mess that is the) Community.

I've used btinternet since 1993, mostly with an email client.  But in recent years I've been obliged to use multiple devices that make local email storage troublesome and have felt forced to use webmail.  I nearly left BT when the Yahoo webmail was dropped, so rubbish was its replacement.  But in response to my complaint, I was told that you were committed to developing BT webmail to compete with the best in the market.  I decided to wait.  There is still a long way to go.

Stephen Pill

Stephen5000
Expert
Message 36 of 44

I still have those same issues listed previous, but I am on v2.21.1 - no improvement. Indeed, this last week, a new 'fault' has manifested in that when writing an email in WebMail, it will simply freeze at random for about 30 seconds before unlocking itself and carrying on as normal. If you are typing a sentence, it will just 'freeze' but if you notice nothing is happening onscreen, and stop, after about 30 seconds, the full sentence you have been typing will all appear at one go by magic!

This kind of thing use to really irritate me, but now, I just treat BT email as quirky - it still has an appalling ''change view - attachments' function taking literally minutes to load, and no functionality when it does show itself LOL

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 44

@Thersites wrote:

3. FIRST USE OF <CR> IN EMAIL REPLY:  I haven't spent what would be a lot of time FULLY characterising this, but suspect webmail is inserting and responding to hidden characters in the reply string, with unintended effects.   If an email is 'replied to', then the first time <CR> (carriage return) is used, webmail becomes unresponsive to the character keys of the keyboard (alphanumeric+symbols).  Repeated tapping - no response.  But if a mouseclick is used to reposition the cursor, or the up/down/left/right keys (which DO work) are used to reposition the cursor, the keyboard keys again work.  This bug has been present since the new UI appeared (I can't bring myself to call it an upgrade, because it isn't).  I can't believe I'm the first to notice this.

You are not the first to notice, it has been reported multiple times but still exists.

I've used btinternet since 1993, mostly with an email client.  But in recent years I've been obliged to use multiple devices that make local email storage troublesome and have felt forced to use webmail. 

Then still use clients on the multiple devices , but configured as IMAP instead of POP3

I nearly left BT when the Yahoo webmail was dropped, so rubbish was its replacement.  But in response to my complaint, I was told that you were committed to developing BT webmail to compete with the best in the market.  I decided to wait.  There is still a long way to go.

Stephen Pill

0 Ratings
Thersites
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 44

@licquoriceThank You for your advice and for taking the trouble to give it;  I probably shouldn't have explained my motivation to @SeanD  as the explanation I gave was an oversimplification:  thinking I was avoiding a side-discussion, this had the unintended opposite effect.

Without wishing to divert attention from my main aim - which is to stimulate resolution of some more of BTwebmail's many, MANY failings - I DO aim soon to return to use of a single device, prefer local data, and so plan to continue with POP3 while it remains supported.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 44

You could always employ the method I use, POP3 on my main device and IMAP on others for when out and about. Just have to remember to Bcc myself if using an IMAP device in order to keep a copy of any sent mail.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 40 of 44

@licquoricewrote:

You could always employ the method I use, POP3 on my main device and IMAP on others for when out and about. Just have to remember to Bcc myself if using an IMAP device in order to keep a copy of any sent mail.

Of course, if WebMail was robust & worked as it should, those steps would be entirely unnecessary LOL