Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 12

No adverts on BT Yahoo Mail - yippee!

Go to solution

I have no adverts!

My first thought was to celebrate - I appreciate that adverts pay for lots of what we are offered on BTYahoo mail but they are so large and graphic, and change so frequently that my poor old desktop's CPU struggles at times to keep up.

But then I wondered - have I a virus or some other naughty?

Under the column headed "ADVERTISEMENT" on the right side of the screen appears the following error message:

document.write("Smart Tag Error: Malformed URL - ST_REJECTED_QUERY_STRING ");

So, should I celebrate or be worried?  ;o)

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Taffy078
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: No adverts on BT Yahoo Mail - yippee!

Go to solution
still having this. Don't know if it's a problem or a blessing!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Might be part of the continual problem fest that is BT Yahoo! 

If you find adverts that annoying you can do something about it. I use Google Chrome in preference to Internet Explorer and the AdBlock extension means that I hardly ever see an advert; no surprise that it's their most popular extension with over 8 million users. There's at least one similar add-on for IE but I can't personally say whether it's as effective as the Chrome one.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

Might be part of the continual problem fest that is BT Yahoo! 

If you find adverts that annoying you can do something about it. I use Google Chrome in preference to Internet Explorer and the AdBlock extension means that I hardly ever see an advert; no surprise that it's their most popular extension with over 8 million users. There's at least one similar add-on for IE but I can't personally say whether it's as effective as the Chrome one.

Potty also advised me to do the above and Yippee! Ad-free BT Yahoo!

Thanks again, Potty.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Couldn't remember whether that was for Chrome or IE, mas. Anyway I've now installed this one for IE and it works too.

Edit: Apparently, after the first 30 days, this one only works for 200 blocks a day. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

thanks pottyperson. ADverts are a fact of life I suppose but sometimes they're so flash that they affect speeds - it's this aspect that gets on my nerves!

I'll look at Chrome.

PS The blasted things are back so at least I know (or can assume) that it wasn't a baddie that did it.

EDIT: I've tried the "SIMPLE ADBLOCK" link - it only mentions IE9 and IE10 so I've emailed them re IE8 for my desktop

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Taffy078 wrote:

I'll look at Chrome.

Certainly worth a look. It takes a bit of getting used to if you've been on the IE diet for years but I now use it almost exclusively. I particularly like being able to choose the extensions I want rather than have a lot of built-in options that are of no interest.

Once you've installed Chrome you can switch seamlessly to IE if you want, and choose which browser you want as default. 

--
les_reid
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Excellent topic! The advertising on BT Yahoo Mail drags my computer down to a crawl.  It drives me bonkers, waiting for simple actions to take effect, all because the adverts take priority over anything I want to do.  The volume of advertising is colossal.  There is a constant stream of junk onto the screen.  My computer is getting on in years and it can't cope with such relentless rubbish.  No doubt the people behind the set-up have been looking at it on spanking new machines running at 20 times the speed of mine.

I shall investigate Google Chrome and the Ad Block extension right away.  Thanks for the tip.

Les R

0 Ratings
Lammond
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Just changed over from IE to Google Chrome and found the Ad extension. Brilliant !!!. No adverts and much faster computer. Thanks for this great information everyone

0 Ratings
katharinep
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I use Chrome and always have.  I just found out how to opt out of ads and they disappear but then reappear.  How can I get rid of them for good?  They take up the right 5th of the page so I can't read my emails

0 Ratings