cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: No longer able to access my emails using BT Webmail on my iPad

To @licquorice .

Interesting suggestion to use the Mail app on the iPad instead of BT Webmail.  But the question is how to configure it?

I don't use IMAP.  I use POP/SMTP and I want my emails to be deleted from the BT mail server ONLY when they have been download to the Outlook client on my desktop Windows PC.  So, if I wish to view my emails on the BT mail server using the Mail app, before they have been download to my desktop PC and deleted, how do I configure the Mail app and/or the BT mail server in order to do that?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

When setting up the POP3 account you can set it to leave messages on the server for x number of days. This should allow you to see them on your other devices before they are deleted.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Just use IMAP on the iPad, that will give the same experience as using webmail.

I use POP3 on my desktop to remove mail from the server but use IMAP on other devices so that the mail remains on the server until downloaded to desktop.

Message 14 of 17

Brilliant!  Thank you @licquorice .

I've just configured an IMAP account on my iPad and it works as expected.  It will suffice as a temporary solution.  Essentially, Safari on iOS 12 no longer being supported by BT Webmail is just another nail in the coffin of my old iPad.  It is not the first Web site to stop working.  But I make the point again that it would have been more user friendly if BT Webmail had displayed a message stating that the platform on which I was trying to run it is no longer supported.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

To achieve what you want regarding being informed about an operating system no longer being supported, BT would have to program their email system to recognise every operating system, including ones that are no longer supported, which would be going back to about 1983. This would be an enormous task for little or no return.

Most manufacturers of computer operating systems support their operating systems for about 10 years sometimes less and mobile devices tend to about six years or less.

Web browsers also have a limited shelf life. 

When the life of the operating system or web browser is coming to an end the manufactures general inform the device user of this and advise them to upgrade.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

To @gg30340 .

I understand what you are saying.  However, some Web sites do inform you if you are using an unsupported platform, so it is quite natural to ask why can't BT Webmail do the same.

Surely, the situation is not as complex as you state?  All that BT Webmail needs to be able to recognise are the supported platforms implying that anything it does not recognise is unsupported.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

@Kleisthenes

If it is easy or not complex as you have suggested you will need to contact BT and ask why they can't/don't do as you have outlined.

It may be that the best source for an answer will be the BT CEO or the BT Email Team. 

It is not allowed to post email addresses on the forum but I'm sure you will fined the details of the CEO with an Internet search.

Please keep this thread updated how you get on.

0 Ratings