cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Nord VPN

Hello

Is anyone else not able to log into their BT Email while using Nord VPN? Only way i have been able to get access to my email was when i disconnected my VPN then log is ok. Spoke to tech at Nord and they think that some providers have upped their security to block VPN's, anyone else had the same problem?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Nord VPN

There have been some people reporting issues logging onto their BT email accounts and it is suspected, amongst other things, that using a VPN is causing the problem. 

The BT email team are apparently investigating what is causing the issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Quite likely if the VPN is connected to a foreign IP address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Seems to have started about a week ago

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@wren831wrote:

Hi.

Can you force the VPN to only use UK IP addresses?

As has been suggested, use of a non UK IP address could make access to email fail, as there have been other reports of people unable to access email when abroad (rather than using VPNs).

However, depending on the IP address the VPN "gives you" - it could potentially be on some form of block list, stopping email access.

How are you accessing the email, is it via webmail or a mail client/app?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Andy_Nwrote:

@wren831wrote:

Hi.

Can you force the VPN to only use UK IP addresses?

As has been suggested, use of a non UK IP address could make access to email fail, as there have been other reports of people unable to access email when abroad (rather than using VPNs).

However, depending on the IP address the VPN "gives you" - it could potentially be on some form of block list, stopping email access.

How are you accessing the email, is it via webmail or a mail client/app?

I'm not sure that would work, I have to drop my VPN just to get on the BBC homepage even if it's got a UK IP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

The unholy combo seems to be BT Mail, and NordVPN with a Microsoft Outlook client.

If you use webmail (i.e. use a web browser to get your mail) it should be OK. A UK NordVPN connection seems fine with webmail and also the BBC news, sport sites etc.

My NordVPN prefs are set for UK and P2P connections - I specifiy P2P because it's the only configuration that Outlook works with (albeit occasionally), but I don't think you need a P2P server wen using webmail.

Don't think this is a problem with the VPN - I think something strange happens at the server end.

0 Ratings