Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Not Synchronising BT/Yahoo E-Mail Consistently

Go to solution

I am on BT/Yahoo Mail which I access through the E-Mail part of Outlook 365. I would like to be able to say that it synchronises with the mail servers fine, but it does not do so consistently. On days such as today, for a major portion of the day it just refuses to synchronise at all. This is both frustrating and annoying, especially if you have important work to do and messages to send or receive which requires access to e-mail.

Changing my e-mail to another provider is not an option, as my e-mail is out there on too many websites and in address books etc... I spent a fair portion of last week trying to identify the problem. I changed settings, passwords etc.. to try and resolve the problem but to no avail. I trialled various e-mail programs to see if the problem was with Outlook, but I am convinced that it isn't.

I use IMAP, along with the settings recommended by BT.

Using my experience of a couple of days ago as an example, what I did discover is that simply leaving the problem alone, somehow, miraculously, the issue righted itself after a number of hours. Such an ad-hoc uncertain server performance cannot be right. I am absolutely convinced that the problem I experience on a regular basis is a BT/Yahoo server issue and nothing to do with my e-mail program at all.

I am reluctant to further 'tinker' at my end as it seemingly affects nothing and makes no difference!

Is there anything the MODS might be able to do by raising the issue at BT's end?

Regards,

AlanF

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Not Synchronising BT/Yahoo E-Mail Consistently

Go to solution

As you are no doubt aware this problem affects some users of the BT email system.

It has nothing to do with your email client or your computer and the fault is undoubtedly at  BT/Yahoo's end.

The best advice which is regularly given on the forum is to not do anything such as changing passwords and settings as the problem usually rights its self in a day or two. You can usually access your email via webmail while the problem is ongoing.

BT/Yahoo are obviously well aware of the problem which has been going on for many years and as yet BT/Yahoo have not resolved the problem during that time so I would not expect a resolution any time soon.

0 Ratings
AlanF
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340! I did and indeed do appreciate your help in passing on the wisdom accrued through years of knowledge and experience.

My e-mail refused to synchonise again yesterday, so I left it alone. When I tried again early in the evening the system synchronised perfectly! So, why BT choose not to do anything about a known problem is a mystery to me, but hey ho, if the same thing happens to me again in future, I know what to do....nothing! Smiley Happy

Very many thanks,

AlanF

0 Ratings
dhogarth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi. I'd just like to add my voice of frustration to this thread. The problem has been going on for years and sometimes lasts for days on end. This weekend it is doing it to me again for the second time within the last two weeks. Does anyone at BT read these posts? If you do - please pull out your fingers and do something!

David

0 Ratings
Greg1949
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

May I add my frustration with the lack of BT Yahoo proactive fault fixing. I also think the problems have been going on for years. Sometimes all is fine and then - bang the problems begin. I'm running Windows Live Mail as a client and using I/C mail POP3. The whole of March has been a headache. I reported the fault and BT Level 2 support said that as the Webmail access to my email accounts works fine so the issue is with my clent. I'm not an network email expert but that sounds like a fob off. Surely the user access to Webmail is different to a clients access? When WLM tries to connect to the mail server is tries to authenticate but times out (this is happening all day at the moment but then suddenly it works). Could it be that a significant number of email servers are off line or the number of ports is restricted?

Getting quite fed up with BT but I don't want to change my email address as it's lovely a short (one of BTs early accounts). 

0 Ratings