cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

OAuth 2.0

Since January 26 I have been unable to send BT emails out of MS Outlook - it keeps on asking for username and password. I've downloaded Mailbird - same problem, traced to SMTP authentication. I've just added my gmail account to Mailbird and it fully installed - with authentication 'Google OAuth 2.0' from a dropdown list. Yahoo, Microsoft and AOL are listed, but not BT. The 'Username and password' option no longer works.

When is BT going to provide its own OAuth 2.0 protocol?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: OAuth 2.0

You don't need OAuth for MS Outlook mail client. Authentication is against your email address. You need to select port 465 (SSL) and plain authentication.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

My research and experience is that you now need OAuth 2.0  or 2FA if you are a registered user of Office 365. If you are also an MS Exchange user, you can go into admin.microsoft.com and sort out credentials that way. But that's not an option for a personal subscriber to Office 365. Mailbird support, incidentally, has been very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You didn't mention Ofiice 365 in your original post.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I wonder if this is connected

Big news flash on CNN today about the Microsoft problems with Outlook email. They recognize that they created the problem on or around Feb 3rd. I believe that it was well before then.

Taken form emclient forum.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, DavidCo. I don't think yesterday's Outlook outages are connected.

BTW, I tried two-form authentication (2FA) on my BT email account this morning. It doesn't facilitate my SMTP authentication.

As for BT support, I got as far as 'Did this fix the problem?', to which I answered 'No', and it replied 'Thanks for the feedback', with no further options. Very helpful!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Still no joy. My gmail account is fine on Outlook - and also on Mailbird, where it automatically picks up the Google OAuth authentication. I tried Mailbird's given Yahoo OAuth, and it got as far as saying it was issuing a passcode for my BT Email account - but it didn't. Trying the Microsoft OAuth option got nowhere.

As for my wife's BT email account on her iPad, outgoing emails get a "cannot find mail.btinternet.com" answer and get dumped in the Outbox, from which sending is completed sometime in the next 24 hours - sometimes!

Come on, BT. Update your system!

0 Ratings