cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Odd things going on with BT Yahoo! and BTInternet email.

This post is by way of sharing a recent experience to see if others are facing similar issues with email.

Apologies if this is a bit long winded.

Recently I changed my password for my BTInternet mail account.

After that I found myself no longer to log on via BT.com/mail or any of my PC mail clients (yes I changed my password on them).

On the web I would constantly get the error message like so.

"Sorry

As you've had too many unsuccessful attempts to login, you've been temporarily locked out. Please try again after 15 minutes please

If you still see this message after trying again, please reset your password"

Speaking with BT agents they reset my password and asked me to log on via mail.yahoo.com with the new password.

It worked (very good).

But when I tried to reset the password within mail.yahoo.com I was taken to bt.com page with a button to change my password which when I press it takes me back into the mail.yahoo.com page with all my email in!

And when I try to log into mail via bt.com/mail I get the error message again.

Resetting the password online myself does not seem to help in this regard and resulted in mail.yahoo.com not recognising the new password either.

And I still cannot get my outlook client working.

Bizzarely in the windows 10 mail client I was able to use the Yahoo wizard to add an account even though the password would not work now by clicking on the forgot password link and getting a reset key (sent to my mobile) which somehow got me back in without resetting the password. So  I do have some access to my mail.

The BT folks are trying to help but they seem as clueless as me.

They will be phoning me on Monday to see if we can get somewhere with this.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Odd things going on with BT Yahoo! and BTInternet email.

Join the club. The whole thing is a nightmare. I would suggest studying for a PhD in email account management and taking an anger management course once a year. Sorry to be critical (BT) but users are having a tough time coping with your email system. The ongoing problems must mean that large parts of society are not clever enough to be able to use it. I'm beginning to think I'm one of them. I've been using it for years but the bar keeps getting higher.   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Hi @DerrickEvans,

Did you manage to get that this sorted? If not, I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hello Paddy

Thanks for asking.

Not sorted yet but someone is on the case.

For the benefit of other people reading this thread,  the diagnosis so far is thus.

It would seem in a past migration from Yahoo mail I find my mail setup in the odd situation where it seems to be registered on both mail servers (Yahoo mail and BT mail).

That would explain some odd things I have been seeing and the BT support people have been able to replicate.

It has been painful to get this far (after the fith call on this I find myself automatically giving the agent my full name and the first line of my address and post code before they ask!) but I hope we are getting there now. It would seem BT folks were as flummoxed as I was and had to consult their own experts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@DerrickEvans wrote:

Hello Paddy

Thanks for asking.

Not sorted yet but someone is on the case.

For the benefit of other people reading this thread,  the diagnosis so far is thus.

It would seem in a past migration from Yahoo mail I find my mail setup in the odd situation where it seems to be registered on both mail servers (Yahoo mail and BT mail).

That would explain some odd things I have been seeing and the BT support people have been able to replicate.

It has been painful to get this far (after the fith call on this I find myself automatically giving the agent my full name and the first line of my address and post code before they ask!) but I hope we are getting there now. It would seem BT folks were as flummoxed as I was and had to consult their own experts.

Hi.

I can't see how your email can be on both BTYahoo & BTMail - the servers are Openwave messaging - with internal handoffs to accounts still with Yahoo, which does seem to cause some confusion.

As for the password change issue. I've seen this a fair amount over the years. After changing it (via web access), it can take time for the access via mail clients (pop3/imap) to catch up - possibly leading to this very issue of too many attempts. If devices are used to check email as soon as the password is changed, some might try numerous times in a short space of time. It should be left a few minutes before checking via pop3/imap - but it can be longer.

Sometimes the thing to do is change the password back, wait for a bit and try to access email again (changing all the devices back, which could be a pain) - then trying a day or two later - again leaving time between changing password and altering the devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Just as a postscript to this. 

Seems that the issue preventing me from updating my email passwords was linked to another issue as to how my accounts were  setup on MyBT. It is the case that for a while ,when I log into MyBT, I initially get an error that something went wrong. But that has never stopped me with what I need to do with MyBT.

Anyway the point is that I have a number of accounts and some of them old and inactive. One of those inactive accounts seemed to have been the problem.

Someone in the email team asked for this to be resolved and now I can change my passwords and log in from bt.com/mail and my outlook PC client just fine. 

Oddly though I still get an error complaining about my account setup when I log in to MyBT but that is not causing any issues for me so for now I will leave well enough alone.

0 Ratings