cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mp67
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Old BT Yahoo account e mail address and folders from 2004 being sent to my Android phone

Go to solution

I have recently got a new Nokia 3 mobile and set it up to receive e mails for my current e mail address on BT Mail

I have found it is picking up an old e mail address I used on Bt Yahoo back in 2004 with its associated folders and e mails.

I have deleted them on the phone but they keep re appearing.

How can I permanently delete this old e mail from wherever BT has it stored and clear the details from my phone.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Old BT Yahoo account e mail address and folders from 2004 being sent to my Android phone

Go to solution

Login to webmail here to delete the emails. Just delete the account on your phone. When you set up the account you want to use on your phone do it manually rather than letting the wizard do it.

Use these settings

0 Ratings
mp67
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Old BT Yahoo account e mail address and folders from 2004 being sent to my Android phone

Go to solution

Thanks for a quick reply.

I no longer have any way of getting to the old BT Yahoo account as I thought it had gone after the problems a long time ago but must be active somewhere out there.

I changed over to the new BT Mail several years ago and assumed up till now that the old e mail address was deleted then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@mp67wrote:

I have recently got a new Nokia 3 mobile and set it up to receive e mails for my current e mail address on BT Mail

I have found it is picking up an old e mail address I used on Bt Yahoo back in 2004 with its associated folders and e mails.

I have deleted them on the phone but they keep re appearing.

How can I permanently delete this old e mail from wherever BT has it stored and clear the details from my phone.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Something doesn't sound right. Unless you added the email address, the system won't just pick up the emails/folders etc.

Your last post implies you did the changeover to BTMail - BT did that. Any new email addresses are added to BTMail, but there are still a lot of accounts on BTYahoo since the migration stopped in Sep 2014.

Old unused email addresses can be deleted for non use (150 days), but not always.

With a new phone/laptop etc, and using a new app/client - there is every chance it can download all the emails stored on the server (for imap, it's effectively synching them). Is that what's happening? Did you set the BTMail address to fetch the BTYahoo emails and put them in specific folders?

I assume the "BTMail" address is completely different to the "BTYahoo" address.

0 Ratings
mp67
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

hi Distinguished person,

To answer your reply:-

you are correct BT did the change over and at that time I assumed my old e mail addresses were wiped out by BT and I have not used them for many years. I restarted with the BT mail address I use now.

When I set up my current e mail on my phone I was not aware that I asked for it to do anything other than set up the e mail and certainly did not ask for it to fetch old ones as not having used them for years I did not even consider they might exist.

What has been transferred across is my old e mail adress without any thing after @ ie its just my name.

It has transferred the folders connected to this old e mail and all the old stored e mails.

My current e mail is nothing like the one that I used in BT Yahoo

In addition when I check the e mail accounts on my phone the only one showing is my current BT one which is the only one I use.

I have tried deleting the old e mails that have been transferred along with this old account and some just keep coming back, also I can find no way to delete the old folders on my phone.

0 Ratings
mp67
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks to everyone who gave me some help.

Thinking about what was said about synch (I am afraid to say I did not know what it meant until the penny dropped) and linking of information on PC and phone etc. I went into my BT mail account and hunted around and found the old folders etc that had been giving the problem---there were hidden but had obviously come across when BT Yahoo changed to BT Mail.

I deleted all the old e mails and the folders and they then disappeared from my phone as well which was what I was trying to do.

Apologies for being so non tech savvy and thanks for the help

0 Ratings