Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Geoff84
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Old email address

Go to solution

I am receiving mailer-daemon non delivery messsfes for a defunct email address.   My search for a record of this address on the bt mail/yahoo site hss not revealed it.  Where should I look now?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Old email address

Go to solution

Is this your own "defunct" email address and if you are no longer using this email address how are you receiving non delivery messages from it.

Do you have another email account set up to fetch emails from that account or did you have it set up to forward emails from it to the account that is now receiving the non delivery messages or is it that you are sending email messages from your present email account to the "defunct" email address and you are getting the non delivery message?

0 Ratings
Geoff84
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for your response. This was an account to which bt forwarded email until it was closed around October last year. It was deleted from the bt email site and I can now find no reference to it. I now receive mail from bt via gmail. Nevertheless, mail from the bt address is still accompanied by a mailer-daemon advice of non delivery to this old address. Can't find any reference to it in the gmail set up either.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I am not entirely clear what you mean.

If you are receiving a non delivery notice from the defunct email address you must be sending email to the defunct address from the email address that is receiving the notice hence when it is not delivered the mailer-daemon tells you. 

When you say "This was an account to which bt forwarded email ".  Was it your email account and by "forwarded" do you mean "sent to" or do you mean they were initially sent to another email account and by using the "forwarding" function on that account you had them "forwarded" to the defunct account.

When you say it was deleted from the BT email site, do you mean that it is one of your email accounts and that you used to access it via the BT email log on and that it was shown in your MyBT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

I am not entirely clear what you mean.

Glad its not just me!!

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Geoff84wrote:
Thanks for your response. This was an account to which bt forwarded email until it was closed around October last year. It was deleted from the bt email site and I can now find no reference to it. I now receive mail from bt via gmail. Nevertheless, mail from the bt address is still accompanied by a mailer-daemon advice of non delivery to this old address. Can't find any reference to it in the gmail set up either.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As others, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

You're implying you have a BTinternet account(Acc1) which was setup to forward to another account (Acc2). You're saying that Acc2 was closed. If emails were sent to Acc1, then it's likely you would get non delivery reports to Acc1

What was deleted from the BT email site? To what are you referring?

You've confused the issue with regard Gmail - how you retrieve your emails in this case isn't relevant.

Geoff84
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I well understand your difficulty, I'm confused too!   However, if you will bear with me I will try and elaborate.   There is a "back story" to this which may help clarify the matter.   I was a member of the Consumer Association "Which?" for many years.   The popularity of the internet prompted them to become a service provider together with the offer of an email address.   This was on the old dial-up system.    However they decided not to offer Broadband so I created an account with BT but continued to use my "which.net" email address in conjunction with the BT forwarding facility.   When the Which email service was discontinued  last year the "which.net" account was deleted and, so far, I have been unable to trace any record of it in my account settings with BT.   But still the mailer-daemon failure notices keep arriving quoting the Which address as unreachable (obviously) alongside the message delivered correctly though my BT address.

Apologies for this rather long winded  explanation.   Hopefully you can make some sort of sense out of it.   Thanks in advance for your interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Geoff84wrote:

I well understand your difficulty, I'm confused too!   However, if you will bear with me I will try and elaborate.   There is a "back story" to this which may help clarify the matter.   I was a member of the Consumer Association "Which?" for many years.   The popularity of the internet prompted them to become a service provider together with the offer of an email address.   This was on the old dial-up system.    However they decided not to offer Broadband so I created an account with BT but continued to use my "which.net" email address in conjunction with the BT forwarding facility.   When the Which email service was discontinued  last year the "which.net" account was deleted and, so far, I have been unable to trace any record of it in my account settings with BT.   But still the mailer-daemon failure notices keep arriving quoting the Which address as unreachable (obviously) alongside the message delivered correctly though my BT address.

Apologies for this rather long winded  explanation.   Hopefully you can make some sort of sense out of it.   Thanks in advance for your interest.

Is your account BTYahoo or BTMail? Login via webmail

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and see if there is a Yahoo image. If so, it's a BTYahoo account.

The forwarding is set here for BTYahoo :-

Settings/More Settings/Mailboxes - click on your email address, and at the bottom of the internal display you will see a forwarding section. Simply remove what's there and click Save.

There's a similar feature in BTMail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

As has been pointed out, you are forwarding emails to th "wwhich.net" address from your BT account and because it has been deleted there is no account to receive the forwarded emails hence the mailer-daemon failure notice.

You need to go into your BT account that is receiving the notifications and go into the settings and look for "forwarding" and delete the "which.net" account from it. 

0 Ratings
Geoff84
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks so much for your help.   Yes, I have found the offending address by following you precise unstructions.   The trick I missed was to click on the email address to reveal the forwarding address.   But why do they hide this away??   Anyway, hopefully the problem is now solved.   Again, many thanks.

0 Ratings