Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 64

Re: Only 11 addresses

Go to solution
Thanks for update.

As I said, if you want to use and delete email addresses why not use the 200 disposable ones you can make.
0 Ratings
aoxm84
Expert
Message 42 of 64

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

I have now had the definitive answer from the BT Level 2 eMail team which has consulted the server managers.  The 11 address limit is a lifetime one - each address you create counts towards your 11 lifetime total. If you delete an address the "space" is not recoverable.  In my case the addresses were lost because I had not accessed them through webmail monthly, and they were automatically deleted by BT. The total is not rolling, so there is no point in deleting an address to make room for another - that does not work.

Yep, as I suspected. I wonder why BT Mail users are being treated differently to BT Yahoo users in this regard. It's no wonder this has caused a lot of confusion, including amongst the staff posting on this thread, since this change has not been publicised at all, which is bad considering once you find out about this lifetime limit by hitting it, it's too late to do anything about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
gspearson
Expert
Message 43 of 64

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 64

Go to solution

@aoxm84 wrote:

@gspearson wrote:

I have now had the definitive answer from the BT Level 2 eMail team which has consulted the server managers.  The 11 address limit is a lifetime one - each address you create counts towards your 11 lifetime total. If you delete an address the "space" is not recoverable.  In my case the addresses were lost because I had not accessed them through webmail monthly, and they were automatically deleted by BT. The total is not rolling, so there is no point in deleting an address to make room for another - that does not work.

Yep, as I suspected. I wonder why BT Mail users are being treated differently to BT Yahoo users in this regard. It's no wonder this has caused a lot of confusion, including amongst the staff posting on this thread, since this change has not been publicised at all, which is bad considering once you find out about this lifetime limit by hitting it, it's too late to do anything about it.

Typical of the arrogance of the BT mail team.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 64

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

"Is BT going to publish this information?" I asked. "No, we do not publish this; we have had many cases like yours and we just tell people".  "OK if I publish?" " As you wish".

So as I had hoped to create, use and delete email addresses for various projects I will now do that using my own domain.

I am very grateful to DavidM, Moderator, who has pursued this doggedly and no doubt will have to do so again as we already know that others have asked and been given definitive but wrong information. Clearly, if anyone has reached 11 addresses and tried for their 12th, it would be useful to know what happened. 

Geoff

To the moderators, who clearly have read this thread - get this information onto the details pages of the email address webpage.

You MUST make this known, and be a "feature" of the product. What is the point of not publishing it ? What are you, or the useless mail hosting over at openwave trying to hide ?

It is simply not good enough, and is added to the other simply not good enough items I have said over the years.

Why is it so difficult to supply the information ?

At least the "interception company" has now gone bust - that'll please a great deal of people.

gspearson
Expert
Message 46 of 64

Go to solution

@gg30340Thanks - how long do disposable addresses last?  I was using the two that were automatically deleted for over a year and had no plans to delete them just yet.  And how do I create them?

Geoff

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 64

Go to solution

As far as I am aware they last as long as you are using them, ie they will be deactivated if not used at least once in a rolling 90 day period.  You set them up by opening your email on webmail and going to settings, then mail and scroll down to disposable addresses. Follow the instructions.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 48 of 64

Go to solution

@gspearson wrote:

"Is BT going to publish this information?" I asked. "No, we do not publish this; we have had many cases like yours and we just tell people".  "OK if I publish?" " As you wish".

So as I had hoped to create, use and delete email addresses for various projects I will now do that using my own domain.

I am very grateful to DavidM, Moderator, who has pursued this doggedly and no doubt will have to do so again as we already know that others have asked and been given definitive but wrong information. Clearly, if anyone has reached 11 addresses and tried for their 12th, it would be useful to know what happened. 

Geoff

Hi @gspearson,

I am really sorry but what you have been told is incorrect.  I have had this doubled checked by the product team and confirmed.

When an email is deleted it will remain in a recoverable state for 60 days, in which time a customer can change their mind and re-activate the address.  After the 60 days passes this email is deleted permanently and you cant get this back, this address will not be recycled which means you can not create the same address again.

Once the email has surpassed the 60 days recoverable state, you will have this added back to your quota of 11 addresses so you can create a brand new address.

I have been in contact with the adviser who told you otherwise and he will contact you again to to explain the next course of action.  You should be able to create new addresses so we need to understand why this is not happening.  If you are not contacted in the next day or so please drop me a PM and I will chase this up for you.

Sorry about the confusion guys.  I trust this post clarifies BT's position in relation to your 11 email address quota.

Cheers

Sean 

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 64

Go to solution

SeanD, Thanks for the update and clarification on this and that what I and PaddyB initially said was correct.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 50 of 64

Go to solution

To SeanD, is this for BTMail and BTYahoo ?

It was certainly possible to re-use a deleted subaccount after 110 days or so.

It's easy to prove.

0 Ratings