cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aliballibee
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Outlook 2016 stopped working but only on one account?

Go to solution

Evening,

We have two separate BT email accounts and for some reason one has stopped working in Outlook 2016. The affected account hasn't syncronised since Wednesday. Should also note that the affected account has multiple folders under the Inbox tab. Having searched the forums I've tried / tested the following:

i) Logged onto webmail for the affected account and changed the password. Then changed the password in Outlook with no change

ii) Changed the root folder path to "INBOX" - I did receive email but, of course, no longer had my folders. Reinstated the folders and the associated rules.

iii) Sent myself an email from my office email account - again didn't arrive in my account inbox but did appear on webmail.

iv) Sent an email from my office email account to the second email address we have in Outlook and it worked fine.

v) The unresponsive email address works fine on my mobile and tablet

vi) I have the same unresponsive email account on my lapt. On here, I actually deleted the account and reinstated it. Again it didn't work until I changed the root folder to "INBOX" again. Once the folders were re-introduced - nothing.

Not sure why this change has suddenly occurred - I'm not aware of having changed anything on the account. As I say, mobile and tablet still work fine.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Outlook 2016 stopped working but only on one account?

Go to solution

There have been problems with the BT IMAP/POP servers stopping email clients from accessing the users email account for years. The advice from forum users is to do nothing such as changing passwords or deleting and resetting up accounts as this invariably causes more problems than it solves, as you have now found out.

Because your Outlook stopped accessing your email and you were still able to access your email via webmail it is obviously not a problem with your email accounts or with your password, hence the advice not to do anything. The problem usually resolves its self in a day or two. 

Because you have deleted and reset up your email on your devices and changed your password I would suggest that you do the following:

Switch off all your devices that has the email account set up on it or at the least stop them from polling your email account for new email. You can do this by either deleting the email account from the device or just change the email address in your email account settings.

Change your webmail email password yet again.

Wait at least 15/30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

Check that this device is working before moving onto the next device.

Ensure that you are using the correct settings via this link and set the email accounts up manually rather than using the email wizard.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
aliballibee
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for the response.

Quick questions, if I may:

Wait at least 15/30 minutes before starting one of your devices and set up the email account with the new password.

By set up do you simply mean update password, since I'm not deleting the accounts?

As I have email account set up on phone, tablet, laptop and PC, I presume all need to be switched off / stopped and then have the passwords updated, one by one, to ensure this works?

Kind regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

@aliballibee wrote:

Hi and thanks for the response.

Quick questions, if I may:

By set up do you simply mean update password, since I'm not deleting the accounts? Yes

As I have email account set up on phone, tablet, laptop and PC, I presume all need to be switched off / stopped and then have the passwords updated, one by one, to ensure this works? Yes

Kind regards

aliballibee
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Ok here's the 4 device update after Webmail password change and waiting 45mins:

1) Samsung S9 - password changed, settings checked, emails arrive. To be fair - this worked yesterday too. I have no "folders" on my phone.

2) Samsung Android Tablet - password changed, settings checked, emails arrive. I have no "folders" on my tablet.

3) Laptop - password changed, settings checked, NO emails arrive. I do have folders in my inbox.

I tried sending from my email address to a secondary email and it arrived. Only the Inbox / Folder / Rules appears not to be working.

4) PC - password changed, settings checked, NO emails arrive. I do have folders in my inbox.

Again, I tried sending from my email address to a secondary email and it arrived. Only the Inbox / Folder / Rules appears not to be working.

So - two devices are ok; two not responding.

I'm thinking it is folder related since, as I mentioned in my original posting, when I changed the root directory (yesterday, not today) to "INBOX" as a test, emails flooded in.

Any other thoughts or options? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

What about the converse, do mails stop arriving on them if you create folders and rules on the tablet or phone?

0 Ratings
aliballibee
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

My apologies - the phone and tablet do have folders set up. Emails are not populating the folders but are arriving in the inbox.

On the PC and laptop they are not arriving at all.

I use the PC as the main source and this is where I set the folders up. These have, presumably, been carried over onto the other devices, as I'm using IMAP?

The folders and associated rules are really just a way of sorting out emails as they come in. I might be as well removing the folders / rules to see if this helps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

If you are using IMAP presumably all your emails and folders are still on the BT servers and are accessible via webmail.

If that is the case I would delete the email account from Outlook and set it up again. I would do this manually using the BT settings in this link.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

The folders should self populate to replicate what is on the BT servers so at this stage I would not set up any rules until the account is working.

0 Ratings
aliballibee
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Hi and thanks again for the response

The folders were not set up in Webmail; they were set up in Outlook on the PC and have transferred to the other devices.

However, looking on Webmail the "Inbox" appears twice, at the top, with no folders below and then again at the bottom, with all folders showing. I don't use Webmail so this may be normal.

I tried the delete and add account last night on my laptop and it made no difference but, since I've changed my password again, I'll give it a go.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

Without actually seeing how you have set things up it is difficult to say what has happened but you should only have one "Inbox" but having said that, is the second Inbox in your "My Folders" section?

I find the best way to set up email using IMAP is to set up the webmail account first, adding the folders that I want and then populate the folders with the emails according to where I want the email to be stored. 

When you then set up your email account using IMAP on your devices the folders you set up on webmail will then be replicated on your devices. 

0 Ratings