Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willybolly
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Outlook 365 not sending or receiving email for a fortnight

Hi

I am trying to help a friend who is using Outlook 365. He has not received an email for a fortnight and when I shut down Outlook - it says that several messages are waiting to be sent.

When I click on send and receive, it goes to processing and seems to freeze.

I am also receiving repeated requests for his password which I am certain it is correct as it is the one he is successfully using in webmail.

He is able to send and receive via webmail but he would like to have Outlook working again.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
mispeltyuoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Outlook 365 not sending or receiving email for a fortnight

It sounds as though the Outlook account has become corrupted. If you delete the account in Outlook and create a new one it should clear itself up.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Is your friend a BT Broadband customer or paying for his email account through a BT Premium Email account?

Does he have the correct settings?

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Willybolly
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Hi

I was concerned that if I delete the account in Outlook I might not be able to get into the account again.

0 Ratings
Willybolly
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi

My friend is a BT Broadband subscriber.

However he is paying an annual subscription for Microsoft 365

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

As long as you're working within the desktop application you can delete the account. All you're actually doing is removing the 'profile' from the application, not affecting the actual email account. I've connected a number of accounts to my Outlook 365 app and have occasionally had to delete and recreate them if they stop working.

EDIT: I don't use a BT email address but Outlook seems to be able to connect to most common email systems automatically, so you shouldn't need to access/change any settings

0 Ratings
Willybolly
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for your advice.

What is the position if he has a number of sub-folders (created by him - eg Meetings) under his inbox - do these get wiped out? Do I have to back these up before removing the account?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If the account is set up as IMAP, nothing gets wiped out, its all on the server.

Having said that I doubt deleting and recreating the account will have any effect, but you can try it.

There seems to be continuous problems between Outlook 365 and BT email for some people, it has never been properly explained or resolved. The problem usually resolves itself after a time.

0 Ratings