cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Outlook 365 stops working after transfer from Yahoo to BT mail but settings are correct

Go to solution

This morning I woke and found that Outlook 365 on my Win10 Dell laptop wasn't working. Same for Outlook app on my iPhone

Send / receive emails produces a box asking me to check my email address and enter my password.

I entered the correct details but got a send / receive error and it cannot connect to server error message.

I called BT who explained that I had been migrated from Yahoo to BT mail and that the email I received explained what I needed to check or change in email / account settings. I hadn't received an email.

The support person suggested I try webmail but it rejected my password. It was the correct password.

She suggested I try a password reset without explaining why. I tried this while she was still on the call and it worked so I said I'd try to figure the rest myself.

A little later I tried logging into webmail again and it rejected my new password.

I went through password reset again and checked and this time (and still a few hours later) it is still working.

I checked the BT support pages for the correct IMAP and server setting to use for Outlook on both laptop and iPhone app - they were all correct.

I deleted my mail profiles on both and re-created them using the correct BT settings but this was not successful with both saying the password was not correct.

I'm stuffed. Until I can call BT again, anyone got any ideas?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Outlook 365 stops working after transfer from Yahoo to BT mail but settings are correct

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

If you have a BT Broadband account was the email address you have initially set up using this broadband account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Re: Outlook 365 stops working after transfer from Yahoo to BT mail but settings are correct

Go to solution

This was setup through a BT Broadband account. However, I moved to EE a couple of months ago (who are owned by BT) who said that there would be no issues keeping my BT email account and there were no problems with email on any client after I did -  until the move to BT mail last night.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

If you are no longer a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account your email account may well have been down graded to a Basic email account. 

You can still use the email account but the Basic email account only allows access via a web browser and you can not use an email client or app.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

They may be part of the BT Group but I am not aware if you can have the "full" access as per the Standard email service if you are now a customer of EE. 

I will ask a moderator if they can clarify.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

That sounds plausible, thanks for checking for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @MylesRaymond welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I can confirm that the advice give by @gg30340 is correct and you would need to have a Premium email account to have mobile or client access.

Cheers

John