cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tulloch
Contributor
Message 11 of 42

Re: Outlook Clients keeps asking for xxx@btinternet.com password

Can you show me where it is stated by BT that this is the reason that they are ditching Yahoo?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 42

No, and it's doubtful that they would give such reasons publicly. The partnership with Yahoo! has been beset by problems (particularly with log-in and security); BT are now looking elsewhere. It's reasonable to conclude that these two things are related.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 13 of 42

Fair comment. It may also be reasonable to conclude that the contract is up and BT have found a company with a lower tender than Yahoo. I would really like to believe they're dumping them because they provided us with **bleep** service though.

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 14 of 42

Simply not working at all now on a PC. Anyone at BT willing to address this problem?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 42

The most likely cause of this problem now is accessing the same account simultaneously with more than one device.

Possible solutions are described in

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Is-it-possible-to-have-a-technical-issue-addressed-by-BT...

and

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Continual-problem-with-SMTP-password-being-blocked/m-p/8...

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 16 of 42

Well I'm certainly doing that. I've done it for years without a problem except for a few years ago when the same thing happened but that was on all devices but the problem was resolved. This time if afflicts only my two PCs, not any phones.

Last night at home I changed the outgoing server to mail.btinternet.com from the yahoo one and the pop-up stopped and I could send but not receive mail. This morning I tried the same here at work and it made no difference.

I currently have only one device accessing mail, this PC via Outlook and it is not working. Setting all devices to manual is not really an option, I want my mail delivered, I don't want to have to go an collect it.

Looks like a cal to support is the last option then. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 42

I don't think you will get much help from the BT support. They will probably tell you that if your webmail is working that they don't support email clients.

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 18 of 42

They must support pop and imap, they publish the settings. I wonder how a claim for a rebate would go followed up by small claims court when they refuse. I'm paying for a service and I'm not getting it.

Now its started on my Nokia phone. Smiley Mad

Seems only the iphone is immune as it accesses Yahoo mail through different servers demanded by Apple so push will work. If Apple can make sure it works for their customers then why not BT? Presumably one cares about its reputation and customers' experience and one doesn't.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 42

@tulloch wrote:

I currently have only one device accessing mail, this PC via Outlook and it is not working. Setting all devices to manual is not really an option, I want my mail delivered, I don't want to have to go an collect it.

On a PC the difference between automatic and manual is one click on "send and receive".  On Phones the difference is that the mail is delivered when you access your mail not delivered in advance.  The fact that the iphone works suggests that most of the time it has a connection to your account  that is causing the problems with the other devices. Setting all your devices to manual is the only sensible option if you want your problem resolved. It has several other advantages as well. You do not have to go and collect it.

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 20 of 42

The iphone is off when I am at work, it is at home. It works because Yahoo provide Apple with a different server(s) to access the mail, servers that support push, hence push works on iOs devices but not any othe ones. This is a fact. From another forum:

$ openssl s_client -crlf -connect imap.mail.yahoo.com:993 * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 ID NAMESPACE X-ID-ACLID UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=XYMCOOKIE AUTH=XYMECOOKIE AUTH=XYMCOOKIEB64 AUTH=XYMPKI] IMAP4rev1 imapgate-0.7.68_14.357900 imap401.mail.ird.yahoo.com quit Connection closed by foreign host.

(That's nice of Yahoo to set up some special XAPPLEPUSHSERVICE for iPhones but not support IDLE.)

0 Ratings