cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tulloch
Contributor
Message 21 of 42

Re: Outlook Clients keeps asking for xxx@btinternet.com password

Outlook on this (work) PC has been manual since yesterday. You can't have that constant pop-up appearing. Have set the Nokia to manual to test, iPhone and home PC are off. Logged out of webmail. Not hopeful.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 42

@tulloch wrote:

Outlook on this (work) PC has been manual since yesterday. You can't have that constant pop-up appearing. Have set the Nokia to manual to test, iPhone and home PC are off. Logged out of webmail. Not hopeful.

Have you made any progress on this ?

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 23 of 42

Nokia phone has not worked since the 21st until today. Is actually working today.

Work PC, has not worked since the 15th and is still not working.

Home PC, had been working until I started typing this reply when I was interrupted by the password prompt and had to close Outlook.

iPhone of course has worked flawlessly with it's special access granted to Apple by Yahoo. Yahoo obviously value their relationship with Apple far more than with BT.

So, no real progress as I don't have a reliable imap service on my PC's or Nokial phone.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 42

@tulloch wrote:

Nokia phone has not worked since the 21st until today. Is actually working today.

Work PC, has not worked since the 15th and is still not working.

Home PC, had been working until I started typing this reply when I was interrupted by the password prompt and had to close Outlook.

iPhone of course has worked flawlessly with it's special access granted to Apple by Yahoo. Yahoo obviously value their relationship with Apple far more than with BT.

So, no real progress as I don't have a reliable imap service on my PC's or Nokial phone.

Thank you for the update.  I still think you have the multiple access problem.  This appears to have arisen again possibly because yahoo and BT have made the default log out period 2 weeks.  My advice is to change this to at least 1 hour and better 15 minutes.  Going manual and using POP is still in my opinion the best way to go.

0 Ratings
tulloch
Contributor
Message 25 of 42

Possibly accessing the mail on the Nokia caused the problem as the password prompt on the PC started almost right away. Is this possible?

Any idea why this "multiple device issue" has arisen after years of trouble free multiple device access?

Still not working on home PC just now and no longer working on the Nokia. What a pathetic excuse for an email service.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 42

@tulloch wrote:

Possibly accessing the mail on the Nokia caused the problem as the password prompt on the PC started almost right away. Is this possible?

Any idea why this "multiple device issue" has arisen after years of trouble free multiple device access?

Still not working on home PC just now and no longer working on the Nokia. What a pathetic excuse for an email service.

A very quick history. Up until around April 2012 there was an issue with frequent prompts for email passwords with Yahoo and BT accounts that was affecting lots of people on a random basis. This appeared to be cured when Yahoo did some server alterations. There was also a known Microsoft bug that caused problems with email systems when the same account was accessed by different devices. This was also reported as fixed. 

Since about April 2012 most reports of frequent prompts for email passwords involve users who access their email with a variety of methods and devices. While I was affected before April 2012 it has only occurred since then to an account that was accessed by an Apple device and a PC.  Turning off PUSH on the Apple device and using manual retrieval cured that problem. One of the  problems with webmail and Imap is that they stay connected to an email account longer than POP access that grabs new emails and then disconnects. 

The password prompt problem is frequently cured at least temporarily by logging in and out of webmail.  I have seen no explanation of this but a possible reason is that the account thinks it is in use and webmail manages to unset this allowing normal access.  

So in answer to your questions Yes it MIGHT be the nokia phone causing the account to appear to be in use.

In general the "multiple device issue" has arisen because users are now using multiple devices that are never switched off and sit automatically connecting to email accounts on a frequent basis or permanently remaining connected.

In your particular case it could be a recent IOS update on your Iphone or the change to BT Yahoo accounts.

Some people seem to get away with it but others do not.

miket67m
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 42

I have amended the settings in my iPad and iPhone and for now, the password problem has disappeared.  Thanks.

Mike

0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 28 of 42

If you were accessing the mail service via POP3 rather than IMAP the mail read/unread/deleted etc can get badly out of sync.
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 42

@db218 wrote:
If you were accessing the mail service via POP3 rather than IMAP the mail read/unread/deleted etc can get badly out of sync.

If you are using multiple devices to access your account the advantages of using POP3 far outweigh any disadvantages.  
If you set up your POP3 access properly  things getting out of sync is not a problem.

0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 30 of 42

POP was designed as the final hop of store and forward systems and was designed to remove the data from the server when the mail was read.

IMAP is designed for server hosted data, before cloud storage and even mobile phones were thought of.

IMAP is simpler to setup correctly from a user point of view.
0 Ratings