Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Laura_H
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Outlook error message 0x80042110

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, as the BT Help pages have failed to do so.

After the outage the other day, I have been unable to receive mail in Outlook, though BT webmail is working.  The Outlook error message is: 0x80042110 'Your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information.  The number of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned by the UIDL or LIST commands.  Contact your POP3 or Internet service provider.'

I have repaired my account and repaired Outlook, but no joy.

An internet search came up with a solution to log into webmail, set up a new folder, move all the inbox messages into the new folder so that inbox was empty, then send/recieve in Outlook.  With no messages to recieve it was supposed to reset the counter and then I could return all the messages to my webmail inbox and send/recieve in Outlook again.

However, what I noticed when I moved everything into the new webmail folder is that despite the inbox pane saying it was empty, the lefthand sidebar that lists inbox, unread, starred, sent etc still says I have one unread message in my inbox.  There is no message.  I've tried logging out and back in, archiving, selecting the unread messages and nothing comes up in any of them.  Another internet search suggests this is a 'ghost email', a message which got corrupted somehow, possibly when everything broke the other day, and which hasn't been fully received.  As it doesn't exist but is being counted, Outlook can't see it and so it is getting a message count which doesn't match the number it can see.

A fruitless look on the BT email help pages has been very circular but otherwise unhelpful, so I'm trying on here.  Does anyone know how to get rid of a ghost email, please?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Outlook error message 0x80042110

Go to solution

I doubt that any of the forum users will be able to assist you with your problem so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Laura_H
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi,

That's brill, thanks very much 😊

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Laura_H 

Welcome to the Community.

Sorry that you are having problems with accessing your emails using Outlook since the Yahoo outage. 

Can you try and set up Outlook again this time using IMAP rather than POP and let me know if this fixes the issue?

Matt

Laura_H
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Matt-S,

I have set up an IMAP account and set it as default, but it hasn't helped.

As you will have seen from my original message, I set up a new folder and transferred all my inbox messages into it (except the one unread ghost mail which is what I think is causing the issue).  So, my webmail has an empty inbox, a folder with 29 messages moved from my inbox and 30 messages in the trash folder.  Setting up my Outlook IMAP account has transferred the 30 trash messages and the folder I moved the messages to, but that is empty, none of the messages have transferred across.  I've moved them all back into my webmail inbox and tried again, but whether the messages are in my webmail inbox or my webmail folder, they won't show up in my IMAP account on Outlook.

The IMAP account, as soon as I hit send/recieve, puts up an error message which says: 'Failed to update headers' and the send/receive cycles through to 96% then puts up the original POP3 error message 0x80042110.

Do I have to completely remove my POP3 account from Outlook?  I'm not very well versed in these things.  Is there a way to do it without losing all my emails?

Thanks,

Laura

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@Laura_H 

As long as you can view the emails within webmail there is no reason why you should lose them.

I would access webmail and move all the emails in the folder into your inbox. Once this is done remove the POP account and newly step up IMAP account from Outlook so that we can start fresh. 

Try and set up a new IMAP account in Outlook and let me know how you get on?

Matt 

0 Ratings
Laura_H
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@Matt-S 

I can't see any of the POP3 emails in my webmail.  I don't use my webmail really at all and I had an issue awhile back where Outlook was trying to receive ALL my inbox emails, even the ones I'd already received, so I was getting maybe 100 + emails being received and most of them were ones I'd already had and, in a lot of cases, deleted.  This issue was solved by emptying my webmail inbox completely at regular intervals, so I've got several hundred POP3 emails which are not available on webmail.  It's those I'm worried about losing, along with the ones saved in folders that don't have equivalents in webmail, if I delete my POP3 account.  The ones I've received since Thursday, which are only in my webmail account will be fine, but what about the rest?

As I said, this is not my area of expertise.

Laura

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@Laura_H wrote:

@Matt-S 

I can't see any of the POP3 emails in my webmail.  I don't use my webmail really at all and I had an issue awhile back where Outlook was trying to receive ALL my inbox emails, even the ones I'd already received, so I was getting maybe 100 + emails being received and most of them were ones I'd already had and, in a lot of cases, deleted.  This issue was solved by emptying my webmail inbox completely at regular intervals, so I've got several hundred POP3 emails which are not available on webmail.  It's those I'm worried about losing, along with the ones saved in folders that don't have equivalents in webmail, if I delete my POP3 account.  The ones I've received since Thursday, which are only in my webmail account will be fine, but what about the rest?

As I said, this is not my area of expertise.

Laura

If you can't see the emails in Webmail then they are no longer on our servers meaning that they could be lost if you delete the POP3 account in Outlook. We wouldn't be able to get these emails back for you if this happens.

Sadly the as you are using an email client the amount of support we can give you is limited however I would recommend that you Back up all your emails before making any changes to your settings.

Matt

0 Ratings
Laura_H
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Matt-S 

Hi Matt,

I managed to set up an IMAP account and delete the POP3 account on Outlook.  I didn't have any issues with the 'headers' and the mail from the webmail was received without any problem from the ghost mail.  However, the ghost mail was still in the webmail inbox.

I am now having a problem with the webmail instead.  Once all the emails were received by Outlook, I went to the webmail page to delete them and get rid of the folder I had created to store them in previously.  However, all I'm getting is the loading circle and it keeps telling me there's no internet connection and I'm offline.  I am not offline and am connected to the internet and everything else which needs an internet connection, such as sending this message in my browser is wrking fine, so it's a webmail issue, not a broadband issue.  I've logged out and back in again, but it just keeps buffering.  On the plus side, my webmail inbox seems to be saying that I have no emails, which hopefully means the ghost email has been successfully shifted by changing Outlook and getting things receiving on there.

I have now received new mail on Outlook which has not appeared in webmail.  Any suggestions on how to get the webmail working, now?

Regards,

Laura

0 Ratings
Laura_H
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@Matt-S 

Hi again, Matt-S, just wanted to let you know that webmail is working fine now.  I turned it off, went to bed and tried it again this morning to find it all working as it should.  The ghost mail has gone, I've been able to access the various subfolders and delete as needed and Outlook is now sending and receiving correctly.

So, fingers crossed, that's all my issues solved.

Thanks for all your help.

Laura