Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Outlook express and Bt internet e mail

I have had bt internet for many years, probably 12 years. I have always used outlook express to download and view my e mails. However, about 6 months ago I started having error messages which I will post below. The symptoms are these. If I have several e mails sitting on the server, it will download say 3 of them and not download the rest, an error message will come up. If I try send and receive again it will download the 3 same duplicate e mailes and then an error message will come up. I have one main account and 3 sub accounts, the same proble occurs on all three accounts. Other times the e mails will download to OE no problem

Message number 3 could not be retrieved. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR inactivity timeout', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800420CD

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Does any one have a solution to this problem, it's seems that it's a common problem when I do a search on google.

Roger L

Aspiring Contributor

Re: Outlook express and Bt internet e mail

Having spent 30 minutes on the phone to BT where a very nice lady took charge of my pc checked or altered some settings it would appear to no avail as this message has just appeared after trying to download e mails.

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR inactivity timeout', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

Roger L

Distinguished Guru

It is a common problem.  The only solution is for Yahoo to fix their flaky email servers.  But since they make no money out of you reading your emails in Outlook Express, it seems they can't be bothered.

Aspiring Contributor

When I talked to the BT lady who took control over my pc she did not seem to want to know anything about the fact it was a common fault. What has changed?????It only started happening about 6 months ago. I just can't use the e mail now unless I go onto Yahoo and look at it directly, it's a real pain. Any suggestions, is it only applicable to bt/yahoo, would it be any different if I change providers or am I going completely down the wrong track, would it work better with Outlook.

Rog

Distinguished Guru

If it fails every time, I would suspect that you've got your email settings wrong in OE.

If it's just a bit flaky, all your mails should get through eventually - just give your mail program a few minutes to retry (or hit the Send/Receive button).

Expert

[ Edited ]

gw3xjc wrote:

When I talked to the BT lady who took control over my pc she did not seem to want to know anything about the fact it was a common fault. What has changed?????It only started happening about 6 months ago. I just can't use the e mail now unless I go onto Yahoo and look at it directly, it's a real pain. Any suggestions, is it only applicable to bt/yahoo, would it be any different if I change providers or am I going completely down the wrong track, would it work better with Outlook.

Rog

gw3xjc, 

There is several variants of this problem.

The most common is due to a slowish internet connection and largish emails usually with attachments. The slower the connection the smaller the emails that cause the problem. 

What happens is the server times out prematurely trying to download the largish email and as the transaction is not completed all previous emails in that transaction are not marked as having been downloaded so they are downloaded again when you next do a send/receive.

(If you have different symptoms please elaborate)

There are a few ways that you can possibly alleviate it and/or cure it.

1. A cure has been suggested in this thread in the last few posts:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Windows-Mail-Server-Terminating-Connection-when-download...

2.  You can increase the server timeout value using the advanced section of the Account properties in OE.
     Also stop OE from checking for emails automatically and send/receive manually.

3.  You can set up a message rule in OE that checks the size of the email and if bigger than a value you specify Not download it from the server.    This should allow all smaller emails to be downloaded.   You of course need to log on via webmail and check the large emails that are left on the server periodically.

4. You can try other providers eg Yahoo.co.uk  (non BT variant and not yahoo.com) Gmail etc that do not seem as prone to the problem.

5. Using Outlook does not help and probably makes the problem worse.

Aspiring Contributor

Thanks for the info guys and I will try what has been suggested. It does not seem to matter the size of the e mail or wheather it has an attachment or not. The speed of connection seems good. The only thing that does seem to make a difference is the time of day I use it, for example, I tried to download my e mails 12 times yesterday and everytime I had the timeout error. It is now 6 am in the morning where I presume that the UK traffic is not busy and I have downloaded them no probs.

Rog

Aspiring Contributor

I have changed the port setting in outlook from 110 to 995 secured as suggested and it hasn't happened since. So, fingers crossed, it's very early days yet.

Rog

Aspiring Contributor

It's all still working

Aspiring Contributor

I see that BT Internet have made their usual promise to ring me back at 1800 hours today and failed to do so. This will be the second time they have promised to ring me back and failed. My own experience is that they seem to want to hide behind this veil of "try this try that" and we will ring you in  2days. They don't seem to keep their promises. Anyway I seem to have fixed the problem with the help of you guys.

Rog