cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmutter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Outlook not downloading emails. POP3 changed to IMAP

Last two weeks I can send mail form Outlook but cannot recieve......keep on getting the mesasge below. 

Recieving reported error (0x80042110): Your POP3 server is providing inconsistent information. The number of messages returned by the STAT command does not match the number of items returned by the UIDL or List commands. Contact your POP3 or Internet Servic Provider.

Of course, having asked BT they have washed their hands of this.

Any thoughts / ideas on how it can be made to work again.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Outlook not downloading emails. POP3 changed to IMAP

This will be due to corruption on the email POP3 server which can only be resolved by the BT mail team. I assume you have ticked the option to leave a copy of the messages on the server rather than deleting after downloading to Outlook. You could always try deleting (or moving to a new folder) all the mail in your Inbox in webmail and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
jmutter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Yes I have ticked the box to leave messages on the server.

BT however have washed their hand of the problem, their response is

"Please be advised that the issue is with the Outlook portal which is not allowing you to recieve emails on the POP3 setting. I request you contact Outlook customer support to fix this issue"

Is there anyone / area in BT that I can escalate this problem to?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Did you try deleting/moving the mails in webmail?

As a last resort you could try deleting the account in Outlook and re-create it. Make a backup of your .PST file first.

0 Ratings
jmutter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

I've tried re-creating my Outlook account, but still get the same result, as with moving everything in the Webmail inbox to amother folder. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

I found one article that overcame the problem by deleting the POP3 account, created it as an IMAP account, synced the mails and then deleted the IMAP account and re-created the POP3 account. Worth a try perhaps.

0 Ratings
jmutter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Just tried that, certainly worth a try, but back to same result.

Have no hair left to tear out now. Totally frustrated with BT's lack of interest. Have no idea what to try now 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Me neither, hopefully one of the mods will be along tomorrow.

0 Ratings
jmutter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

yes, hopefully, but frankly I'm not holding my breath.

I feel an email to Gavin Patterson coming on very soon I'm just losing patience with the lack of support offered by BT.

0 Ratings
chamber_boy
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Hi jmutter

I've had issues with downloads on my prime email account via POP3 and I have been able to clear it by login in to Webmail via https://uk.yahoo.com not the BT pages.

I'm not saying it will work for you but worth a try. One additional step would be to mark the emails as read or read one email as I have had to use that additional step on one occasion but usually just login in via Yahoo does the trick after about a 30 minute wait.

0 Ratings