cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Outlook sent items not syncing to webmail

Go to solution

Since 23 March my POP3 email accounts has failed to save sent items to the server. I'm using the latest version of Outlook  on Windows 11 (Home). As far as I'm aware all settings are correct and set to save messages and sent items. This only happens to messages sent from the PC.

I have repaired the accounts and tried resetting them.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Outlook sent items not syncing to webmail

Go to solution

Sent mails don't sync with webmail when using POP3. Save messages just means they are saved locally.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Brac27   POP3 is a real blast from the past. If you want everything to sync, then you need to use IMAP.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

VeteranISPUser & licquorice (Distinguished Sage) .Thanks for your replies. I've been using POP3 for years and I know it's old technology. I have later accounts on IMAP but deleting a mail on IMAP deletes it everywhere. Whereas with POP if I make a mistake the message is still on the server. At least it was until March.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

POP3 sent emails are not saved on the server. They are only saved on the sending device.

POP3 received emails can be set to be saved on the server after they have been downloaded by your device that is using the POP3 account.

They can also remain on the server if they are deleted from the POP3 device provided you have the account set not to delete them from the server.

If you want a copy of emails sent from a POP3 account to be available to your other devices you will have to BCC a copy to your self when sending the email.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@Brac27wrote:

VeteranISPUser & licquorice (Distinguished Sage) .Thanks for your replies. I've been using POP3 for years and I know it's old technology. I have later accounts on IMAP but deleting a mail on IMAP deletes it everywhere. Whereas with POP if I make a mistake the message is still on the server. At least it was until March.

Hi @Brac27   But they remain on the server in the Deleted folder? Which is synced over all your devices and web mail. That is unless you set Outlook to clear your Deleted folder on exit (if that option is still available).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry to take issue but until March mail sent from my PC via Outlook was saved on the server. POP only saved sent and received mails. I would send a screen shot but I don't know how and don't want to compromise my security. My sent box on webmail starts with the heading OLDER and then lists sent items from March 24 down to May 23. No new sent mails except a test mail that I sent using the web.

Outlook on the PC is my primary source of sending emails.

I know that both Outlook and Webmail have been updated recently so I suspect some change has taken place to remove sent items from the saving options or my account has been corrupted in the process. I can't find anything to confirm either of these theories.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

I agree. Perhaps I should switch of deletion on exit for the IMAP accounts.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Are you talking about Outlook.com webmail or Outlook email client?

If it is the email client called Outlook and if it is set up as a POP3 account it does not save sent emails on the server. 

If you care to do an Internet search regarding that you will see it is not just the people that are replying to you on this forum that are saying that.

Microsoft amongst many others email suppliers etc also state it. The POP3 protocol does not save sent emails on the server.

If yours does are you sure it is a POP3 account and not an IMAP account.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry this isn't my experience. Both accounts are POP on Outlook (Office365 APP). BT's POP information is pretty vague. It just says that POP doesn't sync all folders.

I've been using this for over 20 years without issue and both sent and received have been saved to the server.

0 Ratings