Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Outlook trying to download entire inbox from server

Go to solution

Everything worked normallt this morning and earlier this afternoon. Now when I try send recivev in outlook it shows it trying to download my entire inbox from the server, not just unopened/new e mails. As far as I know I have not made any changes to settings in outlook or on webmail. Has anyone else had this problem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Outlook trying to download entire inbox from server

Go to solution

@landie57wrote:

Everything worked normallt this morning and earlier this afternoon. Now when I try send recivev in outlook it shows it trying to download my entire inbox from the server, not just unopened/new e mails. As far as I know I have not made any changes to settings in outlook or on webmail. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hi.

This sounds like an Outlook database corruption.

What typically happens is that a mail client (e.g. Outlook) checks the server for emails and to see new ones it needs a marker to say where it last checked. For anyone who keeps their messages on server or IMAP, it's this marker/pointer that's relevant. If Outlook can't in effect tell the server from where to check, the server will believe the user (well, mail client) wants to receive the whole lot.

The same would apply if you added a new mail client, it would want to download all the emails stored on the server.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Andy, thanks for explanation. I let outlook download entire inbox and the next time it tried to do the same again, so it looks as if outlook is corrupted somehow. Only using webmail now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I don't use Outlook but if I remember correctly there is a "repair" tool in the Outlook account settings that will scan the programme's files and repair any corrupted one.

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

gg30340, thanks for pointing me in right direction, your memory is right there is a repair tool. I have run it and it has changed setup from POP3 to IMAP and I need to set up new account with IMAP settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you prefer POP you should still be able to set it up as a POP account but having said that you may find that IMAP suits your needs better. You can give it a try and if not change back to POP.

Remember that anything you do on IMAP, ie delete an email or send an email will be replicated on the BT servers so don't delete anything that you may want at a later date. Set up folders and use them to store your "wanted" emails. 

0 Ratings
landie57
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Update on this problem. IMAP does not work. I can send e mails from outlook but cannot receive. When checking via webmail it does not sync with what has been sent via outlook. Reading all the other problems people have had with e mail recently I am starting to think the only real soluttion is to move away from BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@landie57wrote:

Update on this problem. IMAP does not work. I can send e mails from outlook but cannot receive. When checking via webmail it does not sync with what has been sent via outlook. Reading all the other problems people have had with e mail recently I am starting to think the only real soluttion is to move away from BT.

Please be aware that you can't change an account from POP3 to IMAP and vice versa simply by changing ports - it needs to be a new account in Outlook. So you should effectively have 2 accounts in Outlook.

0 Ratings