cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil67
Message 1 of 18

Over usage

Has anyone else had issues with over usage BB? I have gone from using less than 10GB over last year to over 50GB in the last two months! I don't do music, video downloads only use the Internet for the usual Facebook, eBay, amazon, emails and surfing the web! Nothing has changed to what we were doing in May and before. We are two adults in our 40's that don't do a lot on the Internet. BT have told me what we have used it and that' that!! So I have now had to upgrade to unlimited infinity which I don't think is any quicker than what we had before plus another 18 month contract!!! Not happy....
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
unhappycustomer507
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Over usage

I just posted this on another thread...

The same thing happened to me when I made the switch in April...suddenly the usage rocketed to at one stage 75gb/month. Did all the checks to see what was connecting in (nothing untowards) changed the password to the hub (totally random one from a p/word generator) and still the usage remained much, much higher than with the previous ISP (Sky). Decided to change to the unlimited package to get around the usage issue  (and there's a story of BT customer services ineptitude/incompetence on it's own!!) and what do you know, the usage (same house, same people, same devices) has suddenly dropped to well within the 40gb allowance I originally had...

Now call me cynical but it rather feels like that was the whole aim of BT, frighten me with excess usage charges so I'll opt for a more expensive unlimited package :smileymad:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

There are many posts about this if you do a search. Here is a link to just one of them.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Broadband-usage-figures-crazy/td-p/149585

Were you previously on BT Broadband and upgraded to BT Infinity? Before you upgraded did you check to see what estimated speed you would get?

If you want to check your speed now use this link. After doing the speed test also do the diagnostic test and it will show you the IP profile for your line. This is the maximum speed your line will support at that time. 

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
markmercer39
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Glad I am not alone!

Wife and I (in our seventies) have been jogging along at under 6GB for at least a year, This month it is suddenly 18 GB. We hae not viewed or downloaded films. Grandchildren have hardly been here and certainly not had access.  I have been wondering if some virus activity is going on.

Something would seem to be accessing the web without our knowledge but what?!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

My bet is that it is not getting recorded correctly. There are many more posts about this so there may well be something wrong with the way it is recorded. I would contact BT and advise them of your concerns and have them check your previous usage to confirm that you are a light user and that you are disputing this figure.

0 Ratings
unhappycustomer507
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

I have spoken to BT and they don't believe me...in fact they spoke to me like I was an idiot - one actually said "well it's a faster connection so you'll be using it more won' t you?" in a patronising way. On unlimited now as I said and magically the usage figure has dropped.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

You're not alone with this problem. My average usage used to be below 5 GB, I now have to have days when I don't connect in order to stay within my 10 Gb limit.  Something has changed and I'm not sure what.

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

@Gratias wrote:

You're not alone with this problem. My average usage used to be below 5 GB, I now have to have days when I don't connect in order to stay within my 10 Gb limit.  Something has changed and I'm not sure what.

.......and, if you don't start your PC, there is no usage for those days? If that is what happens, then it suggests that something on your system is using the connection rather than a problem with how BT measures usage, or someone else using your connection. You will need to think about what could be on your system that might be new and active.

Just to be on the safe side, I would start with a virus scan and also a scan with a malware scanner such as Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

If you are turning your router off as well on the 'off days' then also check that you have a strong password and at least WPA turned on for any wireless connection to eliminate the possibility that someone is sharing your connection.

Michael
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Thank you for your response.

When I don't use my HomeHub connection, no usage is recorded by BT, which is good to know.  The HomeHub is permanently left on and I use WPA and WPA2 encryption with my own encryption key, which is assessed as strong by the HomeHub.

I would have thought that if someone is sharing my connection there would be some record of usage on the days I didn't use it, since my HomeHub is still connected on the days I didn't use it.

I use AVG Antivirus and the last time I ran it it picked up no high or medium severity detections, but did record 532 information severity detections (this is the term they use).  These were mostly locked files (which were not tested) or contained macros and if any one of them were a problem I simply would not know how to spot it.

I have Iobit Malware Fighter, Windows Defender, ZoneAlarm Firewall, CCleaner, McAfee Security Scan Plus, Norton Security Scan along with several Internet Explorer add-ons from the same companies installed, all of which I run at least once a month.

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

@Gratias wrote:

Thank you for your response.

I would have thought that if someone is sharing my connection there would be some record of usage on the days I didn't use it, since my HomeHub is still connected on the days I didn't use it.

Yes, that would be my analysis as well. So something on your computer is now generating much more by way of downloads than before. Discovering what that something is remains the problem. Do you remember adding anything to the PC about the time that the problem started? Have a look at Add/Remove Programs and see if anything appeared about that time.

Also might be worth having a look at Zone Alarm and see what it is set to allow to access the internet and see if there is anything there that you don't recognise or which could use a lot of bandwidth. Switch off access for programs that you don't need on a day to day basis to see if that helps. I don't suppose that Zone Alarm tells you how much information has gone through the firewall from each package (I haven't used ZA for years so this may just be a silly idea)?

@Gratias wrote:

I have Iobit Malware Fighter, Windows Defender, ZoneAlarm Firewall, CCleaner, McAfee Security Scan Plus, Norton Security Scan along with several Internet Explorer add-ons from the same companies installed, all of which I run at least once a month.

Windows Defender, Zone Alarm, & CCleaner I know; the others I don't. Just to clear the point out of the way, are Iobit, McAfee & Norton set up so that you only run them on demand or are they on all the time? You are not running Window 8 are you? If you are then that version of Windows Defender is an anti-virus package, on other Windows it isn't. The point I am getting at is that, if you are running more than one virus scanner at the same time, you can get all sorts of problems although - and I realise this doesn't help - I don't think that I have heard of vastly increased downloads as one of those problems.

Michael