cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Over usage

I'm not sure if it will be causing your usage problem other than they will all be doing updates when you start your computer but you really should not have all these antivirus programs on your computer at the same time. It can cause serious conflicts. Your AVG antivirus is more than enough. I would remove McAfee Security Scan plus and  Norton Security Scan. It is OK to have more than one malware program on your computer. They generally do not conflict with one another.

When you start CCleaner click on Tools > Start up > then have a look and see what and how many programs are running in all the tabs. If there any you don't use/ need then click to stop them running at start up. If you are not sure which ones you can turn off come back to this forum for help.

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 18

The anti virus programmes do not run at the same time, they run when I activate them and that is only once a month, as a belt and braces measure.  I'm running off of Windows Vista.

I'll check the start up programmes as you have suggested.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

As far as ZoneAlarm is concerned there appears to be 801 programmes secured, a great many of which I do not recognise. I''m inclined to uninstall and reinstall.

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 18

@Gratias wrote:

As far as ZoneAlarm is concerned there appears to be 801 programmes secured, a great many of which I do not recognise. I''m inclined to uninstall and reinstall.

That does seem a lot of programs, although some will be system processes! It has been a year or ten since I used ZA but I recall a 'reset all' type of command to block all existing access rights for programs so that one could then allow each access to the Internet individually (or not!) when needed. If it exists, that might be easier than re-installing ZA.

Michael
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

I can't find a reset all option but I think I can remove all the programmes and that will probably start things afresh.  I've discovered I don't have to delete them individually.

Apologies to Neil67 for hijacking his thread.

0 Ratings
bernie234234
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

See my other posting today regaridng this.

In a nutshell, BT have sent me emails saying I have over usage  more than one  clear  month after I had the modem taken away and the service migrated to fibre with another provider (migration to fibre means my telephone line isn't even connected to the BT DSLAM).  After disputing data usage previously to get the same patronising answers  (listen guys, I've worked in IT Telecomms for 30 years and know how to monitor data throughput) this is now absolutely clear proof that BT are charging for extra data incorrectly.

I'd like to take them to court but its so difficult.  If you multiply this out by all the customers affected this is absoluteley outrageous. Can't anything be done ?

Bernie

0 Ratings
unhappycustomer507
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

@bernie234234 wrote:

In a nutshell, BT have sent me emails saying I have over usage  more than one  clear  month after I had the modem taken away and the service migrated to fibre with another provider (migration to fibre means my telephone line isn't even connected to the BT DSLAM).  After disputing data usage previously to get the same patronising answers  (listen guys, I've worked in IT Telecomms for 30 years and know how to monitor data throughput) this is now absolutely clear proof that BT are charging for extra data incorrectly.

Now that is worrying...if not surprising to me. Serves to demonstrate how useless BT's "systems" are Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
KateODonnell
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

I am having exactly the same experience as the previous contributors except my usage has gone from an average of 6gb to a usage of 89gb last month and I've changed nothing!Computer literate friends inform me this is almost impossible to achieve even if I had watched live television non stop for the whole month! Let me know if you work out how to take them to court because my blood is boiling. I've only just started a new contract with BT so I'm stuck but I'm blowed if I'm going to take out unlimited broadband because of something they're doing wrong. As a point of interest I've just checked my usage for yesterday and it's back down to 0.2gb.

0 Ratings